Recent Diving Experiences

FlaParrotHead

• 2 weeks later...

I dove at Costa Maya on March 24, 2006. We were in port on the Carnival Valor and I dove with Dreamtime (www.dreamtimediving.com), a PADI resort a couple miles south of the cruise port (about $6 for a taxi). I recommend them highly. I had two great dives. The first was a patch reef (lighthouse) north of the port. There were six divers and two divemasters. The second dive was just off the reef from the dive shop (two eyes). This dive was just me and the dive master and we explored a part of the reef he had not been to before. The divemasters were great at finding interesting critters. The reefs were healthy with lots of fish. The water was calm and clear.

This area is not very developed. Most of the town, including the dive shop, does not have electricity (They have solar power, a generator, and a diesel compressor for the tanks.) There is another PADI resort, Maya Palms, a few miles farther south. I did not go there, but from what I read it looks like a very nice resort, but I did not want to spend the extra for cab fare to get there)

Many of the divers on the cruise did not dive at Costa Maya because the cruise line did not offer a trip and they were afraid of unsafe dive shops. One person told me he dove with someone he hired on the pier and was unhappy with the experience. He said that there were 10 divers in a small john boat, and it did not even have a ladder to climb back on board. I think you would be happy diving with Dreamtime. They do dive trips for some of the other cruise lines. When I was there was a Carnival representative talking to them about doing dive trips for Carnival.

I dove with Dreamtime.. When I was there was a Carnival representative talking to them about doing dive trips for Carnival.

Oh, no. Hope they don't start being Carnival's contractor until after my dives this Sept. If they become Carnival's contract dive op, the prices will definitely jack up.

Since Dreamtime is in Mahahual, you can get there easily, like the rest of the crowd getting there. Maya Palms sounds really nice, but is further away plus $40 taxi return. If Dreamtime signs up with Carnival, the price difference with Carnival's cut, will make Maya Palms much more attractive.

How much did Dreamtime charge for their 2-tank dive trip? How about rental gears? Thanks.

A two dives at dream were $75, another $25 for equipment. There is not much at Dreamtime, just a small dive shop, nearby bar, and a long beach with shallow water. You can see the reef from shore. There was a good variaty of fish, coral and sponges. This was the first time I saw a field of garden eels!

$75 is reasonable. If Dreamtime becomes Carnival's contractor, it'll probably cost $149. Add on rental cost if needed.

The place where it might make sense to dive with Carnival's contractor is Belize where there's long tender time to shore but Carnival's contractor can pick up and drop off directly from the ship.

In Costa Maya the ship docks, so tendering time. Then you still have to get to Mahahual. There won't be any real advantage to book through Carnival.

I'll vouch for Dreamtime as well.

We had a group of about 40 in January, but only 10 or so divers. Another 10 or so snorklers and the rest just looking for something to do.

Dreamtime arranged to pick the divers up an hour earlier than the rest, then when we finished two GREAT dives, we walked down the street a short way to join the rest - the snorklers had finished a while before we did and the rest of the group just hung out on the beach (in the shade or the sun, as they preferred) feasting on Pablo's awesome lunch, and having drinks.

As folks decided to head back to the pier area Chris would call a taxi, pay the driver ( round trip transportation included in the fee ), and off they'd go.

An excellent port day!

Dreamtime did become Carnival's contractor.

This means anyone from Carnival ship will need to pay double now. Dreamtime has good reputation, but at twice the price that changes the equation.

Some people will pay Carnival $149, but I think I'll scratching Dreamtime off my list.

Maya Palms costs $75, + $40 taxi (can be shared), and you get to use the facility of a nice private resort (pool, kayak, climbing 4-story pyramid, beach, etc.). Can also get a good lunch $10, and all drinks $10. So Maya Palm definitely sound better for the price.

There is also the new Blue Ocean Safari, and others. Good thing I have time to continue searching

• 4 weeks later...

B,B,D,and J,

Was at Mahahual in March, I dove with Maya Palms Resort. I had a great time. This is not a cattle boat operation. My boat ride was only about five minutes to the first dive site, a great finger reef, saw turtles, eagle rays, several large grouper. The reef itself was the healthiest I've seen in over a decade. A boat from one of the other operations showed up during our suface interval, so the 20 min taxi ride was much shorter than thier boat ride. These guys run a very safe, professional operation. Next time I'm in the area I will dive with them again.

Archived