December Caribbean clothing?

ASM

What modifications would you make for a winter cruise vs a summer one? I assume resort casual is still the appropriate choice for day and casual evenings. Do you ladies still wear tropical colors, etc., or do you choose warm weather outfits in more subdued colors, styles? I'm basically obsessed with clothes so all the little nuances matter to me! Thanks, ladies, for all your past help as well.

Hi ASM,

We will be doing our 9th December Carib cruise this year. Tropical-resort wear is perfect, don't worry about the "change of season/change of colors" theory, just doesn't apply for the islands. You will love it, it is actually our favorite time to sail the caribbean. Debbi

We cruised the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in January of 2002, and found the only difference from cruising later in the spring was the Christmas decorations still up from the holiday just past. Clothing was just the same. (Except Florida was a little cooler -- you might want to have light slacks, depending on your embarkation port.)

Carol Louise

Thanks! We'll be flying to Fort Lauderdale from SC where it's usually around 60 in mid-Dec. I guess I'm still suffering from that Southern upbringing. You know--when you can and can't wear white, linen, etc! Here it has very little to do with temps! Thanks for helping me get an island mindset.

I did-went for all the tropicial colors etc. Now I will tell you this when I researched the islands we were to visit I found out the average temp. was 85 but would feel more like 90 in December so I packed accordingly.

After Grand Cayman, our first stop, it rained and a cold front came through. Id did not get over 75 the rest of the cruise and was more like 65-too cold for me to swim and I wished I had brought more slacks instead of the capris I had. I did have one jacket but I was wishing I had packed a couple of sweathers. I wore the jacket so much I ended up washing it about mid cruise as it was getting a little worse for wear. I wore it all the time that week. So anyway pack your shorts and capris. Just pack at least 3 or 4 pairs of slacks and a couple of sweathers or jackets. That way you will ready if it turns off cool.

I did-went for all the tropicial colors etc. Now I will tell you this when I researched the islands we were to visit I found out the average temp. was 85 but would feel more like 90 in December so I packed accordingly.

After Grand Cayman, our first stop, it rained and a cold front came through. Id did not get over 75 the rest of the cruise and was more like 65-too cold for me to swim and I wished I had brought more slacks instead of the capris I had. I did have one jacket but I was wishing I had packed a couple of sweathers. I wore the jacket so much I ended up washing it about mid cruise as it was getting a little worse for wear. I wore it all the time that week. So anyway pack your shorts and capris. Just pack at least 3 or 4 pairs of slacks and a couple of sweathers or jackets. That way you will ready if it turns off cool.

Great advice. Since I don't have to fly, I'll just cover all the bases. What! Overpack? Me?

We sailed over Thanksgiving last year and I took only summer clothes. I did wear slacks and a sweatshirt over a T-shirt to board. A front came through and when we sailed, it was cold and windy. It was chilly the next day (first fun day at sea) but after that it was like summer. All three ports (Progreso, Cozumel, and Belize) were like summer - in the 80's. Even the first fun day at sea upon return was warm; however, our last fun day at sea was cool again. We are sailing in December this year and I am going to definitely take some long pants and warmer clothes for our first and last fun days at sea. I'm sure it will be chilly. We are leaving out of Galveston.

Archived