Anybody have a suggestion for a hotel in Copenhagen?

I am looking for an economical hotel in Copenhagen which can accomodate up to 3 guests in one room.

I am looking for something nice, clean and nearby the downtown area of Copenhagen where the touristy stuff is.

I don't want to break the bank here.

Anybody have any good suggestions?

You might want to look into the Arp-Hansen hotel group in Copenhagen. They have several hotels at different price points and locations. We stayed at the Strand and found it very accomodating. One note - most if not all mid range hotels in Copenhagen are not air conditioned. If you are there during a heat wave (rare) as we were three years ago, the comfort level drops quickly.

www.arp-hansen.com

Check out TripAdvisor and see the listing of hotels for Copenhagen. You can then read the reviews on each and then decide which one to go with.

You can also do a search on the forum as I believe there are two or maybe three threads regarding hotel recommendation in Copenhagen. On one of those threasds is excellent information provided by a CC member regarding using Priceline.

Julia

To follow Julia's excellent suggestions, I will say that I shied from this thread because I have a great rec--the Marriott via Priceline, which normally hits around $100--however, Priceline will not guarantee bedding for more than 2. Now, you can follow a successful Priceline bid with a request to the hotel for 2 double beds, if that would work for your party of 3; however, they may/may not feel obliged to honor your request if the only thing they have left when you check in are king-bedded rooms. If your 3rd person is a child, I think you might be safe risking it by going the rollaway route. Sometimes, the rollaway charges are quite high (and Copenahgen is a very expensive city, so I would expect a hefty charge). Before taking the plunge, I would spend some time researching accommodation specifics on this property's site at http://www.marriott.com. The Marriott is, indeed, a very nice property and well-located just a couple of blocks from Tivoli Gardens, the train station and one end of the strolling boulevards, also on a canal boat stop.

Priceline will not guarantee bedding for more than 2. Now, you can follow a successful Priceline bid with a request to the hotel for 2 double beds, if that would work for your party of 3; however, they may/may not feel obliged to honor your request if the only thing they have left when you check in are king-bedded rooms. If your 3rd person is a child, I think you might be safe risking it by going the rollaway route. Sometimes, the rollaway charges are quite high (and Copenahgen is a very expensive city, so I would expect a hefty charge). Before taking the plunge, I would spend some time researching accommodation specifics on this property's site at http://www.marriott.com. The Marriott is, indeed, a very nice property and well-located just a couple of blocks from Tivoli Gardens, the train station and one end of the strolling boulevards, also on a canal boat stop.

Last July and August I won bids for the Copenhagen Marriott and I had my family of four adults to share one room. After winning the bid, I emailed the Copenhagen Marriott, and they kindly confirmed they could guarantee me a room with two beds. As months passed by, I emailed again to confirm, no problem. The staff at the Marriott was excellent to communicate with via email.

• 2 weeks later...

andrew...

thanks for the info re the Copenhagen Marriot. a couple of people have recommended it and i will definitely put that on my list to look into.

your website is amazing! thanks for sharing.

I've been trying Priceline for the last couple of weeks but had no luck. So I gave up and just booked a room at the Copenhagen Island Hotel(www.copenhagenisland.com). It's one of the ARP-Hansen hotels. Not sure when you're going to be there but the hotel opens on the 15th June 2006 and has an opening special of 795DKK (about $135USD I think) per room per night including buffet breakfast. It's not yet star-rated as far as I can tell but it sounds like it has reasonable facilities and being brand new it should be pretty nice.

Just a suggestion. Our back-up plan was going to be the Cab Inn.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve,

I just won a bid on priceline and Would like to know the email address to the copenhagen marriott so I can make certain requests to them.

Congratulations, that's awsome! Here are two email addresses I used.

mhrs.cphdk.dosm@marriott.com

mhrs.cphdk.copenhagen@marriott.com

I recommend using both emails. Let me know if you don't get a response.

Just a follow up, it can take a day or two before a hotel awarded on Priceline to receive the reservation. Therefore, if you contact too soon, they may not have the reservation just yet.

Have fun,

Steve

Thanks for your quick response Steve. I got the hotel for $97. Of course that is before taxes. Now I just need to look for some decent places that aren't too expensive to eat dinner and breakfast. Also, did you take a taxi to the hotel or did you take the tram??

Thanks for your quick response Steve. I got the hotel for $97. Of course that is before taxes. Now I just need to look for some decent places that aren't too expensive to eat dinner and breakfast. Also, did you take a taxi to the hotel or did you take the tram??

You got a very good rate for this hotel. You will not be dissapointed. I loved the hotel, and it's location on the canal. The 10 min. walk to Tivoli is no big deal. It's a beautiful hotel.

We went to the hotel via train from the airport to the main train station in Copenhagen. Then, we took the taxi to the hotel. The taxi was not too keen on taking us since the hotel was only a 10 min. walk away. But, I explained I am with my parents and we have luggage. After that, he had no problem taking us, but I could tell he was not thrilled. I think at first he thought it was just me who needed the cab. To do over again, traveling with my parents, I would have taken a taxi. Although the train was easy enough, and cheaper, plus I liked traveling by train. Still, a taxi is always easier and more convenient, and with my parents traveling, that's what I should have done, just to make it easier on them after a long travel day. For the return to the airport from the hotel, we took the taxi. We stayed at the Marriott before and after the cruise.

Steve,

Did you happen to take a canal tour while you were in Copenhagen? My wife mentioned the possibility of doing this but wouldn't know when we could fit it in. Our flight gets in at around 1:30pm and of course we don't get on the ship until the next day sometime.

Steve,

Did you happen to take a canal tour while you were in Copenhagen? My wife mentioned the possibility of doing this but wouldn't know when we could fit it in. Our flight gets in at around 1:30pm and of course we don't get on the ship until the next day sometime.

Yes, I did take the canal tour, and have taken it several times. I do recommend it as a good activity to do. The canal tours depart frequently from, Nyhavn, and Gammel Strand. There's even one that departs from the Marriott, but you might want to check with the hotel about the details becasue it may be a one time tour per day from the Marriott vs. hourly from the other locations. The guided tour itself last about an hour. Here's a link to a website which may give you more information. http://www.canaltours.com/dct/en

You should be able to do this either probably after you arrive, or the next day before you board the ship. The last tour each day is at 5 pm, and first tour is at 10 am. For us, we boarded the ship just before sailing because we wanted to see and do alot in Copenhagen before boarding. I guess it all depends on what else you might want to do in Copenhagen. But, you should have no problem taking a quick canal tour.

Steve

Still, a taxi is always easier and more convenient, and with my parents traveling, that's what I should have done, just to make it easier on them after a long travel day. For the return to the airport from the hotel, we took the taxi.

We will need to take a taxi into CH from the airport. Do you have any idea what the fare is to the SAS Radisson or thereabouts? And do the taxis take credit cards?

We will need to take a taxi into CH from the airport. Do you have any idea what the fare is to the SAS Radisson or thereabouts? And do the taxis take credit cards?

Yes, all taxi take credit cards. For the fare from the airport to the SAS Radisson is, you might try another website at http://www.virtualtourist.com. At this site, go to the Forums, look up Denmark and Copenhagen. Ask the fare question there. This forum is frequented by local Danish residents, they may be able to better assist with an estimate of the cost. Have fun.

Archived