Puerto Rico-Possible shutdown

dkjretired

Hi Don !

That doesnt sound like good news at all. Hopefully, they will find a way to avoid further problems. It would be a disaster for them if tourists avoided Puerto Rico, due to these financial problems.

You are probably right, as the situation needs to be watched.

Andy. Quite a few years ago, didn't NYC experience a similar financial problem? I seem to recall that President Carter backed government loans to bail NYC out of the problem. I think I'm correct but my brain is aging faster than the rest of me. LOL Would the cruiselines want to risk going to San Juan with reduced security and police operations? Even port operations.

Andy. Quite a few years ago, didn't NYC experience a similar financial problem? I seem to recall that President Carter backed government loans to bail NYC out of the problem. I think I'm correct but my brain is aging faster than the rest of me. LOL Would the cruiselines want to risk going to San Juan with reduced security and police operations? Even port operations.

New York City did experience a fiscal crisis but if memory serves me correctly it was during the term of Gerald Ford. The feds said No Way Jose - in fact the Daily News ran the headline if I recall correctly - "FORD TO CITY - DROP DEAD"

No news is good news. We will be in Puerto Rico next week on Voyager. CNN also reported that a tanker had run aground just south of Puerto Rico this morning..

Hi Hdawson !

How are you ? I hope all is well.

Yes, NYC had a HUGE financial problem. As HermanG said, I do not think the Government came to NYC's aid at the time, but I could be wrong about that. The headline that Herman mentioned does sound very familiar, as I lived in NYC back then. I am happy to say, that NYC looks great these days.

I also agree with your comments. If I was the Cruiselines, I would monitor the San Juan situation carefully. I would not want them to be going there, if areas such as security and port operations, and police were compromised or reduced in any way.

With that said, I am confident that they are paying very close attention to the situation on a daily basis.

There is apparently a severe economic problem right now in Puerto Rico which could affect tourism.

From the article:

The tourism agency said most tourist services should not be affected, since they are provided by private companies.

Archived