Just back-thanks for the advice

BeachMusic

Just returned from 4/16 sailing on the NCL Dawn. Based on my readings here I went for the Baths. Followed the advice posted and went with speedy's package ($30)p/p for ferry and cab round trip from Tortola. The ferries were in great shape, clean, even had videos playing in the downstairs area during the trip accross the water. Once at the Baths we took the meandering easy path down to Devil's bay. Clear water, pristine beach, trails leading off to the left led to smaller empty beaches, incredible boulder foundations. (Bring fresh water, no amenities, just nature) Retuned via the steeper climb with ladders and ropes to help us along. Stopped in at the restaurant at the top for a dip in the freshwater pool, the restaurant was too crowded so went next door to Mad Dogs, for much needed refreshments, and much quieter atmosphere. Took the 3:30 ferry back, arrived in Tortola at 4:00, shopped our way( usual trinkets, sarongs, beads) back to the ship and onboard by 5:00 for 5:30 departure. I am so happy I did not miss The Baths, as I believe it was one of the highlights of this 11 day cruise. The ONLY reason I knew to go, how to get there, where to eat, and how to do it for half the price the ship wanted was because of the people on this site who share their knowedge and expertise. So thanks to all who allowed me to pick their brains, and read their opinions. I and my family appreciate you.

I meant to post a thank you when I returned and neglected to do so, so may I tack my thank you onto yours? Our day at the baths was the highlight of our tour too. Although we took a ship tour to get there, we knew about the secluded beaches beyond Devil's Bay only because of these boards. No one else was there & my husband & I had a most delightful day (it looked like the beach in the movie "From Here to Eternity"). We took a longer path back to the top too (but there were no ladders or ropes--there must be more paths to explore--I must go back!)

When we got back to Tortola we were talking to a local & my husband was telling him we had a beach all to ourselves for the day. The local said "That's what the Virgin Islands is all about!" Unfortunately I'm sure it's not so for the majority of the cruisers arriving there. So thanks to all the posters for the advice!

Thank you for posting your experience! So, do you think someone old, fat & out of shape can make it up the ladders, stairs & crawl-ways? How about my 6'7" kid? We're going in June and can't wait! If we only get to Devil's Bay, will we be able to get a good sense of the rock formations without going into the trail?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=318334

Zeno has a good description in this thread about what actually happens on a tour to the baths. We took the path back from Devil's Bay and there were no ladders or ropes. It was a long gradual climb--probably 20 minutes or more. I'm not sure where the path is with the ladders.

Climbing through the baths can be a challenge. It is hard to judge what shape someone else is in to make recommendations, but if you search back through this thread you will read of many experiences. There is more than one way to get through the rocks--our guide just told us the water should be no higher than your waist & if it was you were going the wrong way. At one point my husband jumped off a rock into a deeper pool & then had to get himself back up onto the rock to go in the right direction. At another point I was crawling & others were duck-walking to get under large rocks. I put some pictures on our web-page and I'll post the link later. Unfortunately my husband tends to do these things "full-speed ahead"' so I don't have many photos until we got to the rocky beach. The rocky beach is just beyond Devil's Bay on a flat trail. Devil's Bay is the "second beach" after you have already gone through the baths. Just keep reading back in this section and you'll get so many good opinions!

TRULUV, Yes, I think you can do the easier path. For the "easy path" down to devils bay: The taxi will stop by a booth at the top of the baths, look for some hand lettered signs to devils bay or just look for the trail that begins left of the booth and benches. Most folks went right, so we had this path to ourselves. It takes a bit longer (about 20 minutes compared to 15) at an easy pace, past lots of big cactus, small lizards, the trail is well kept, and fairly easy. When you arrive at the beach you will simply want to drop your stuff and get in the beautiful water, but at some point, walk left around the cresent beach an find a trail heading left along the shoreline to find more rock formations and deserted coves. I went up the steep narrow path because my teens wanted adventure. I am 6' tall and had to remove my backback to squeeze though some tight spots. Otherwise just head back up the easy way, and grab a frosty drink from Mad Dogs whilst you wait for the cab. The Baths are a must see.

Archived