Question on formal dress

nicoles2248

I am still under the impression that in order to do a black tie event I need to wear a dark dress. I'm going on my first cruise in December (Western Caribbean). I am 28 and a size 4 so I figured I'd start searching the prom dress clearance racks now. I found a dress I love that is a really light pink. It is long and formal. I didn't buy it yet, since I can't return. Do you think a light pink is fine for formal night? I know, I know, if it makes me happy, wear it. However, since I have never been on a cruise, I don't want to look out of place. I am from WI and I would never think to wear that in the middle of winter to a wedding. TIA!!!

Nicole,

In Dec. it'll be winter in WI, but it'll be summer in the Carribbean. So by all means buy the pink dress. For summer weather, formal does not mean dark, it means formal. So as long as the fabric and silhouette are formal, you can wear any color.

BTW, For the record.... I don't agree with the general "if it makes you happy, wear it". I believe - find out what's appropriate and then make choices within that catagory that make you happy. And pastels are perfect for a tropical cruise. :)

Enjoy your first cruise. I'm sure it won't be your last!

Jane

With all the beautiful colors that dresses are available right now I would wear (especially at your age) a pink dress on formal mnight. You will fit right in and I am sure you will look fabulous....

My daughter wore a pink dress on each of our cruises. Last year it was a bright pink past the knees sparkly dress and the year before she wore a pink formal (which she later wore to prom). Color does not matter.

I think, when it comes to formal dress, the two things I take into consideration are: the time of year I will be sailing and the destination. I recently went on a Caribbean cruise for two weeks and had four formal outfits with me, and I wore each one. All were predominantly black except for my bronze taffeta two piece Tadashi. I have a beautiful black satin gown by Jessica McClintock, but to really set it off, it should be worn with over-the-elbow black gloves. I decided in April, and in the Caribbean, that wouldn't really work, so I left it home. Maybe for a cruise originating in London, or in the Baltic, it might work fine, but that wasn't my itinerary.

I actually was looking for something more colorful, since I was going to the Caribbean, but I'd spent enough on clothes and decided not to buy one more outfit I didn't really need.

Color is welcome....black is too prevelant in my opinion formal nights!

Jane :)

Take the pink dress if you feel great in it buy it. I'm cruising in January and have been looking myself tried on a lilac cocktail dress that made me looked washed out. I settled for my fabulous red cocktail dress which I just love and a new black cocktail dress both dress make me feel flirtous. We have two formal nights so when I wear the red cocktail dress hubby will be in black tux and on the second night when I wear the black hubby will be in a white tux jacket.

Have fun wear whatever you feel great and fabulous in.

Christine

Archived