Holiday Camp Carnival

Hopebw

My PVP assures me that so long as my baby (who will be 17 months old when we sail) is walking and "mature for her age" she will be allowed in Camp Carnival with no problem. She even went so far as to ask her supervisor who seconded the notion that things will be fine. Then I am reading these boards and so many people say that there are no exceptions to the under 2 rule. I was told I wouldn't even be asked how old she was so long as she looked 2. She is tall for her age at this point and has so much hair (she's already had 4 professional hair cuts at 9 months old) that people often mistake her for being older than she is. I don't want to break the rules but I was so looking forward to being able to take a break here and there and just enjoy an hour or so of adult time.

Also, can she go to the early shows so long as she is well behaved? She loves music and I know she would get a kick out of seeing all the dancing and singing. Obviously I would leave promptly if she were to get upset.

Finally, I was also told by a friend, who cruised earlier this month, that there were several children in swim diapers in the less crowded pool and that nobody said anything. She was on a different Carnival ship but I assume they all have the same rules. Is it possible that we could get away with that as well? And what about the kiddie pool... do the same rules apply there?

I'm just so grateful to not have to cook, clean and be in charge that I don't know what to do. I wouldn't dream of leaving DD at home... finally we will have a chance for uninterrupted time together as a family. DH won't have to tend to yards and farm animals. I won't have to jockey DD between the playpen and high chair just to have a decent meal. That's a better vacation than anything DH and I could do alone.

Thanks for any input and help! :p

My PVP assures me that so long as my baby (who will be 17 months old when we sail) is walking and "mature for her age" she will be allowed in Camp Carnival with no problem. She even went so far as to ask her supervisor who seconded the notion that things will be fine. Then I am reading these boards and so many people say that there are no exceptions to the under 2 rule. I was told I wouldn't even be asked how old she was so long as she looked 2. She is tall for her age at this point and has so much hair (she's already had 4 professional hair cuts at 9 months old) that people often mistake her for being older than she is. I don't want to break the rules but I was so looking forward to being able to take a break here and there and just enjoy an hour or so of adult time.

Also, can she go to the early shows so long as she is well behaved? She loves music and I know she would get a kick out of seeing all the dancing and singing. Obviously I would leave promptly if she were to get upset.

Finally, I was also told by a friend, who cruised earlier this month, that there were several children in swim diapers in the less crowded pool and that nobody said anything. She was on a different Carnival ship but I assume they all have the same rules. Is it possible that we could get away with that as well? And what about the kiddie pool... do the same rules apply there?

I'm just so grateful to not have to cook, clean and be in charge that I don't know what to do. I wouldn't dream of leaving DD at home... finally we will have a chance for uninterrupted time together as a family. DH won't have to tend to yards and farm animals. I won't have to jockey DD between the playpen and high chair just to have a decent meal. That's a better vacation than anything DH and I could do alone.

Thanks for any input and help! :p

Not sure what PVP is?

Unless things have changed since we last sailed on Carnival in 2003, they are pretty strict about age limits as are all the cruiselines. Our girl was 23 months on her first cruise in 1999, and she wasn't allowed in the program. Carnival will have the exact age of everyone aboard the ship and toddlers are no exception. Has nothing to do with how old they look. Or how mature they act. If they make an exception for your child, they'll have many other parents breathing down their necks to do the same for their kids.

Kids can go to the shows, unless otherwise started in the Capers (such as the more mature comedy shows). I would suggest sitting near the back of the room so you can make a quick exit just in case your child gets bored or scared. We've been taking our child to the shows since her first cruise.

Can't remember what the rules are about the swim diapers. But I wouldn't take a diapered kid in the pools other than the wading one as many adults will be ticked off. Definitely ask first. Some people even consider taking a small inflatable pool with them (you can probably do a search on this forum and see how they plan this).

From the first vacation we took after she was born (again it was at 23 months before we braved a vacation), she has gone with us. She's now eight and just took her sixth cruise in December. 43 days on a ship. With a bit of planning, it's a great vacation for the kids.

Thanks for the input. The PVP is a personal vacation planner and is an employee of Carnival. She really acted like it would be no big deal and that nobody would even ask for my child's age. Oh well... I guess we'll plan to pay the babysitting service periodically.

By babysitting, are you talking about the group sitting (10pm to 1am)? That's the extent of the babysitting on Carnival...no in-cabin sitters. Of course, if you have a relative or friend that wants to come along with you, that's option. My sister got a few free cruises because a friend of hers (with a rich sugardaddy who's still pretty fertile -- the friend gave birth to six of his kids) asked her to come along to help with her brats, um, children.

Swim diapers in the pool with get everyone upset and you will be asked to take your child out of the pool.

They are strict about the age restriction at Camp Carnival, i have seen them turn people away.

your baby will probably be fine during the show but just remember the music is very loud.

I'll heed all of your warnings and go back to accepting the fact that this will strictly be a family vacation. My parents are going along so between the four of us surely we will all have some free time. I did see on some camp carnival info that there is some babysitting on port days for the little ones. She probably wouldn't like it anyway as she's used to being home with me. We will stick with the kiddy pool and the ocean for swimming (if she's not potty trained by then) and just enjoy being together the rest of the time. It will be fabulous just to have DH all to ourselves for a change. And he loves to nap so he can take that shift. Thanks for your replies and please know that I am not one of those folks who think they can do anything just because I paid for my kid to cruise. If she doesn't "behave" we go elsewhere, just as we do now in restaurants, etc.

One thing you'll see (at least this was our experience) is that crew members will gush over your baby. Many of them have kids back home and will go out of their way to be nice to the little ones. Don't be surprised if your kid is whist away for a dance during the waiters' parades.

It was back in 1997 that we took our DD on our first cruise, and she was just a few months shy of 2 years old. Our TA assured me that she would be able to attend Camp Carnival, but that proved to be false the first night of our cruise (which was on the Holiday, BTW). The counselors said absolutely not. We're not late-night people so we never took advantage of the babysitting. We still had a fantastic cruise even with our toddler being with us 24 hours a day. And, I didn't notice any glares from other passengers.

As far as swim diapers, I agree with the other posters--passengers get very upset (and I can't really blame them) about children who aren't potty trained swimming in the pools.

One really nice thing--with the rocking of the ship, she slept like a rock!!

Have a great cruise!!

Friends of ours were just telling me that last year, they sailed with Carnival (I can't remember which ship) and their daughter was just under 2. The Camp counselors said that they'd let the girl try the Camp, but she hadn't had a nap they day of the trial run and was cranky and crying. The counselors paged the parents and said that was it, the girl couldn't come back to camp for the rest of the trip. I thought it was interesting that they even let her try.

People really, make that REALLY get worked up on the other boards about infants/toddlers on cruises. I am blown away by how upset so many people are. Some of the poor people posting are just asking questions and get slammed by others calling them inconsiderate, etc. I know when I started this thread I was just looking for info. I didn't mean to anger anyone. I don't feel that my questions showed a lack of consideration for others. The swim diaper thing is a HUGE issue all over this site. We have a pool and our child swims in it with a swim diaper. We have never had a problem. No leaks of any kind (and yes, we've even had a squishy BM on occasion in one). Of course our pool is cholorinated and we are the only ones "at risk". After reading everything here I wouldn't dare put my kid in the pool. Not because I fear she will expose anyone to a life threatening disease but because I'm afraid of the wrath of others (not to mention the fact that I want to follow the rules). All that to say is, be careful what you post where on this site. It's best to keep your family oriented questions in the family cruising area. Otherwise you may get crucified.

Archived