First Cruise in 15 Years ... what's changed?

J-man

Hi, all! I have to delurk to introduce myself. (I've been reading these invaluable boards for a few months.) My wife, my best friend, and I have reserved a cruise on the Millennium Eastern Caribbean sailing, December 10-17. We're quite excited about it, even though it's a long ways away!

The last (and only) time I was on a cruise ship was in 1991, when I did a 7-night Caribbean cruise aboard the Monarch of the Seas. This was the Monarch's "inaugural season," and it was the biggest, spiffiest thing in the water back then.

I gather quite a bit has changed over the years. I was surprised to learn that pop (or soda, depending on your dialect) is now a revenue source for the cruise lines. (I seem to recall it being free, at least at meal times, back then.)

So... how would you veterans sum up the big (and small) differences over the past fifteen years?

LOL! We did the Monarch many moons ago as well.........Yes, they now have specialty coffees, pricey ice cream, celebrity style fitness classes, etc.....I do not think it has changed much except for the fact there are so many ships cruising that the lines really have to pay attention to the details. I find that Celebrity does it very well. Now that I am more "mature" (rofl), I tend to like the more elegant service offered on "X".

HI J MAN...what a great question. Well...the ship still sails and the thrill of a sea voyage is omnipresent. You will still get the feeling of excitement when you first step onboard. The MILLENNIUM is a great choice for you...she is a classy ship with good service. Most things are pretty much the same...except for one thing....errr..."AMERICAN EXPRESS...DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT"...LOL.

ROSS

1. The width of ties
  2. Your waistline
  3. The price of drinks
  4. The level of service
  5. The music
  6. The amount of skin you'll see
  7. Hair Styles
  8. The number of families cruising
  9. The size of the ships
  10. The amount of info you can get on line

1. The width of ties
  2. Your waistline
  3. The price of drinks
  4. The level of service
  5. The music
  7. Hair Styles
  8. The number of families cruising
  9. The size of the ships
  10. The amount of info you can get on line

11. The total of your bill

What TOOK you so long????
I beg poverty (grad school) for several years. After that, well... hmm, I haven't taken many vacations. A week driving through the American southwest, and a honeymoon-by-train in Europe. That's about it. Sad, I know.

1. The width of ties

They are wider... and not quite as garish. According to my photos from 1991, that was the era of the neon-floral rayon shirt. Anyone miss those? :p

2. Your waistline

Also indisputably wider!

3. The price of drinks

Eep. My wife has a taste for the grape. I notice that the drink price list on Celebrity's website always adds "and up" to the basic price. I guess I'll find out just how far "up" can be.

4. The level of service

Better? Worse? Stranger? I recall pretty good service in '91. The cabin steward introduced himself, cleaned things up, did a turndown service, and was pretty unobtrusive. (I shared an inside, bottom-o'-the-ship four bunk cabin with my two brothers, so you can imagine I didn't spend a lot of time there savoring the ambience of the cabin.) The dining room staff were very attentive, I think, although I was mesmerized by the shiny silver medallion worn by the sommelier, so my memory is spotty.

For our Millennium cruise, we've reserved a Concierge Class cabin. What should we anticipate in the way of service? Should I dress myself or wait for the concierge to do it? ;)

5. The music

You mean we won't be rocking out to the C&C Music Factory? Come on, Everybody dance now! bump, bump bump, ba dump...

Hey, I said I was on a ship in 1991, not 1951!

7. Hair Styles

Er, yeah, and that's a good thing. Year of the Mullet, anyone?

Archived