No response from Celebrity

VicKen

Over a week ago we learned on this board (from an independant tour company) that the port of St. Petersburg will be closed 13 july - 17 july for the G8 Summit. Repeated calls and emails from our cruise agent finally got Celebrity to admit on Monday that indeed the port will be closed which impacts not only the Century but 24 other ships. As of today (Thursday) we still have no information from Celebrity on what they plan to do. In fact it took an email to one of the VPs to even get any response. I understand the logistics of completely re-organizing a cruise must be a nightmare but Celebrity has known about this for at least two weeks and final pay for Century's 9 July cruise is the end of April:eek: . My agents has asked repeatedly to extend final pay date but no response to that either. Any suggestions?

This would be a very tough position and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

I'm guessing (as you say) the entire cruise would have to be revamped?

I honestly think if you try to get some info yourself you will get nothing but frustration (unfortunately). However, I would at least make a call to the Captains Club and/or customer service and give it at least one shot. Then tell you TA that they need to get the info for you before you make final payment. This may not be the best course of action but if this stop was eliminated from the cruise I would cancel and rebook. I hope that may be an option for you, good luck I hope it works out......................Chuck

This would be a very tough position and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

I'm guessing (as you say) the entire cruise would have to be revamped?

I honestly think if you try to get some info yourself you will get nothing but frustration (unfortunately). However, I would at least make a call to the Captains Club and/or customer service and give it at least one shot. Then tell you TA that they need to get the info for you before you make final payment. This may not be the best course of action but if this stop was eliminated from the cruise I would cancel and rebook. I hope that may be an option for you, good luck I hope it works out......................Chuck

Hi Chuck !

You are right, that is it a big issue. I would hope would be resolved before final payment is due.

I am not sure I agree about "cancelling and rebooking" as demand for Europe is strong, and more than likely the cabin would be lost, and the new booking price would likely be higher than the original price.

I would be persistant, and keep calling Captain's Club, and Customer service, and ask for supervisors. The supervisors are your best hope, as they are the ones with the answers.

To everyone on this sailing, I hope the issue is resolved soon !

We are on the July 1 cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas and a tour operator has told us that the Junior G* will be July 7-18 (Pushkin, St. Petersburg) and the G* Summit will be July 15-17 at the Konstantinovsky Palance, St. Petersburg. The port will be closed July 13-18. We are lucky that we will be able to dock in St. Petersburg since we will be there July 8-9, but what a disaster for others. The main reason we booked this cruise is to see St. Petersburg.

Garry

We had the G8 in Scotland last year - one thing, it is known at least a year in advance where the next Summit will be as it is tied into "presidency" of the G8 which as I understand "rotates" and the countries chose the actual cities they will use for venues well in advance. It is common knowledge because of the scale of logistical and security checking that is put in place in advance. ALthough the G8 was in the countryside, Edinburgh knew for months about the G8 impact. As it was, apart from a security ring around the parliament and one afternoon with demonstrators the place was, with the exception of one palace open. So hopefully people will be able to enjoy St Petersburg but the traffic disruption will be an issue. I do wonder where Xs media scanning comes from - surely they should have someone scanning ahead and idnetifying potential impacts. I would criticise them for that as well as the delay getting info to passengers now. Fingers crossed you all are able to have a good trip as you planned

Celebrity's Fleet Ops has been working on it.. as well as the Fleet Operations departments at the other cruiselines.

It is no easy task with all these ships competing for alternate space. When the revised schedule is finalized, it will be announced.

Having visited there last year, I would encourage you to rebook. You can't fight city hall and security will be so tight that many routes will be closed off and traffic will be a nightmare. VIPs might take the opportunity to do some touristry stuff themselves and preempt veryyy expensive tours without recourse to compensation. St Pete's is just too wonderful a place to have disruptions.:(

Having visited St. Petersburg last year and the year before on Constellation, it's hard to imagine how the city will deal with the intrusion of the summit even if the port is open - traffic is awful under the best of circumstances and with heightened security, it will be even worse (if that's possible). I can't imagine how the cruise industry didn't see this one coming and make alternate arrangements long in advance. Also, it makes one wonder how tour agencies like Red October and DenRus, not to mention the agencies that provide cruise line shore excursions, didn't see this coming and raise a red flag (pardon the pun). While the the Baltic itinerary is wonderful even without St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg is the highlight and missing it would be terribly disappointing - after all, it's not around the corner and how many times do you get to that part of the world. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Archived