Hawaii Rental car questions

dagtoking1

Does anyone know if there are any rent-a-car places walking distance from the Nawiliwili Harbor where Pride of America docks (I am assuming this is not a tender)? Also how close is the Old Lahaina Luau from the port in Maui (Kahului)? Is this doable by taxi or do you have to have a car. I'm booked on the Pride of America but have yet to read one good review online from anyone but travel agents. My experience with NCL has always been great so I don't know what to expect.

I'm going on the Pride of Hawaii in July and was wondering the same thing. I'm renting for two days in Honolulu before the cruise and it makes sense to rent during the port days to explore. With the lava flow being 50 miles from port, it would be nice to drive yourself. With a family of 4, it seems you are into $400 for almost every excursion. I think I'm paying $75 for two days with a full size car and un-limited mileage.

It looks like the Hilo airport is right by the cruise dock. Does anybody know how close that is? You could probably rent a car there cheaper than a dock side specialty renter.

A few years back we visited Nawilwili on an RCL cruise. We rented a car from Thrifty at that port. The airport is not far from the docks. We just called them from the terminal when we arrived and they came and picked us up. It only took a few minutes for them to come get us and take us out to the airport to complete the paperwork and then they took us to where they stored the cars offsite.

I believe there are several car rental companies to choose from. I don't believe there are any too near where the ship docks but honestly didn't look as we had already chosed Thrifty before we went.

Does anyone know if there are any rent-a-car places walking distance from the Nawiliwili Harbor where Pride of America docks (I am assuming this is not a tender)? Also how close is the Old Lahaina Luau from the port in Maui (Kahului)? Is this doable by taxi or do you have to have a car. I'm booked on the Pride of America but have yet to read one good review online from anyone but travel agents. My experience with NCL has always been great so I don't know what to expect.

in my opinion a taxi would break the bank to lahaina from kahului. we rented and drove and it took us 35-40 minutes tops. as for nawiliwili...as with all the ports they have vans from all the rental companies waiting outside the boat (yes it does dock there). but no, none within walking distance. if you get to the old lahaina luau early there is a dinky little outdoor bar just to the north of it (aloha plate lunch?) and they have great cheap maitais and a nice view of the beach. here is a link to my review..........http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=17584 ..........and some not so good ones as well.

They pick you up in vans at all the docks, it's not a problem and not especially expensive. Thifty is often cheapest.

Careful with Kona though because the airport rental pick up/drop off spot for most agencies is a rather long shuttle drive.

I think there's only one rental company that operates right in Kona so you don't have to go so far, forget which one it is. I'd take that one. :) Actually Kona is the port best suited for just walking around so if you wanted to skip renting a day that'd be a good one to do it on. Nice snorkeling a bit south if you have a car.

i agree with mike on kona. the town has the usual shopping but a lot of interesting shops as well. and some great places to grab a cocktail or two. and right where you line up for the tender there is actually a small beach with crystal clear water where families were swimming with their kids and having a blast. i wish i would have had my suit as it was hot that day and the water looked great. of course if you do have a car the snorkeling in front of captain cooks monument is pretty good and the water is clear as a bell. the reef is over dived but if your time is limited it will work.

We saw Thrifty vans in Kona.

They pick you up in vans at all the docks, it's not a problem and not especially expensive. Thifty is often cheapest.

Careful with Kona though because the airport rental pick up/drop off spot for most agencies is a rather long shuttle drive.

I think there's only one rental company that operates right in Kona so you don't have to go so far, forget which one it is. I'd take that one. :) Actually Kona is the port best suited for just walking around so if you wanted to skip renting a day that'd be a good one to do it on. Nice snorkeling a bit south if you have a car.

in my opinion a taxi would break the bank to lahaina from kahului. we rented and drove and it took us 35-40 minutes tops. as for nawiliwili...as with all the ports they have vans from all the rental companies waiting outside the boat (yes it does dock there). but no, none within walking distance. if you get to the old lahaina luau early there is a dinky little outdoor bar just to the north of it (aloha plate lunch?) and they have great cheap maitais and a nice view of the beach. here is a link to my review..........http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=17584 ..........and some not so good ones as well.

We've done the drive from Kahului to Lahaina (and reverse) at least 30 times. I have to say that it's more like 35-40 minutes at a minimum. Average is more like 50 minutes to an hour. Taxi would probably be more than $100 r/t...ouch.

Also, Aloha Mixed Plate is not a bar (although there is a good bar with good happy hour specials). It is a casual restaurant with arguably the best plate lunch on the island. It is quite casual and almost "picnic" style outdoors, but terrific.

beachchick

Concerning Kona and renting a car.....

Go with Enterprize in Kona! It's the only rental company that is only 5 minutes from the dock. Just call them (pay phone is at the Welcome building on the pier) and they come and pick you up.

All other car rentals are located at the airport... 30 minute drive each way. We met several folks who said that they just made the last tender back to the boat because they got caught in traffic.

We drove down to the Place of refuge, very interesting and a nice place to snorkle also. (Budget is at all other ports and all have a large vans that pick you up and take you to the rental place) Suggest: rent a convertable on Maui! It's great;)

Go with Enterprize in Kona. It's the only rental company that is only 5 minutes from the dock. All other car rentals are located at the airport... 30 minute drive each way. We met several folks who said that they just made the last tender back to the boat because they got caught in traffic.

Why do you insist that there is no Dollar car rental at the King Kamehameha Hotel right off the dock in Kona?

For those that did rent a vehicle in Hawaii, did you set up all of your reservations in advance, from the ship, or just got off the ship and hoped to find a car?

If you did plan in advance, were you able to get a better rate by using the same company at each island or did you have to go with different rental companies on each island?

If we really do go on one of the Pride of _____ ships in Summer 2007, we will need a minivan or large SUV to accomodate seven. I would hate to assume those would be available, so I would certainly want to arrange the rentals in advance. Really, I had not even thought about it until I came across this thread. A big thanks to the original poster for bringing this to my attention. :)

In Kona we rented through the Dollar office in King kamehameha Hotel -directly opposite the tenderterminal. They have the cars there by RESERVATION ONLY. - more expensive then at the airport.

However no loss of time because of shuttles, it is worth it!

In Hilo NO shuttles from Avis, which ment additional cabcosts.

Yes, make reservation in advance, when more ships are in port it could mean no more cars.

Make your reservations in advance. Posters have reported on numerous occasions that various locations in Hawaii were sold out. Sometimes it's cheaper to rent with the same company for each island, but frankly we've never had that happen. It takes some research time, but I always check several companies (of course, usually I'm only checking for one or two places per trip). On multi-island visits, we've not once rented with the same company on (up to) three islands. Do not wait until you get off the ship and just hope that a shuttle will take you to a company that will have a car available. In fact, that's another thing, the car rental companies aren't at the piers. You will be shuttling to the airport, except as noted for Kona above (Dollar and, apparently, Enterprise). The drivers won't know if cars are available. And you don't want to be going from company to company looking for a car. For a mini-van or large SUV, you are absolutely right that it would be shear folly not to rent in advance.

BTW for everyone, there is a thread about this and I just wanted to mention that I do it for every car rental. I just booked cars (at each of the cheapest companies on each island for those days) for our fall PoH cruise. (Did I mention we booked it and I am soooo excited?) I will now start to periodically check rates. Every trip, and I do mean every single one, I've found cheaper rates along the way. I simply do a new booking and then cancel the original one. Last trip, I rebooked our Maui car (2 week rental) five times. The final price ended up being $18 p/p for a midsize (inclusive of taxes/fees). It pays to do some hunting online. In the meantime, I'm not out any money (no CC needed for online reservations) and I know we we'll have a car.

beachchick

Archived