South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

[quote name='cruisinqt']I hit a plateau and for the last 2 weeks I haven't dropped a single pound, even though I dieted really well.:( But today I got on the scales and I've dropped 2 1/2 pounds! Woohoo!:D I just wanted to remind you guys that if your weight loss suddenly stops even though you're doing everything right, don't despair. It will suddenly start dropping off again when you least expect it. I'm sure you know this and have been through this "weight loss plateau" many times before. But hearing that other people have gotten through it and started losing weight again after the plateau is very encouraging.;)[/QUOTE]
Great job and thanks for the reminder! I sure can use it right now! LOL

[quote name='cruisinqt']I hit a plateau and for the last 2 weeks I haven't dropped a single pound, even though I dieted really well.:( But today I got on the scales and I've dropped 2 1/2 pounds! Woohoo!:D I just wanted to remind you guys that if your weight loss suddenly stops even though you're doing everything right, don't despair. It will suddenly start dropping off again when you least expect it. I'm sure you know this and have been through this "weight loss plateau" many times before. But hearing that other people have gotten through it and started losing weight again after the plateau is very encouraging.;)[/QUOTE][size=4]Congrats on the weight loss QT. I'll keep the[/size]
[size=4]"plateau" in mind. I'm sure it will happen soon enough.[/size]

I have been on Phase 1 way too long. i am going to move into phase 2 this week, but scared that the weight will not come off as fast. I have stepped up my exercise, but just want to keep losing. Any suggestions? My daughter kept losing on Phase 2, but is much younger and easier to come off.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions or words of wisdom. :) Off for my walk

marie

Marie, Phase 1 is just the "jump start" to the SB diet and wasn't designed to be a healthy way to eat. The weight may take a little longer to come off with Phase 2, but will be much better for you in the long run. DH and I actually saw the majority of our 10 and 15 pound weight losses come in Phase 2. I'm post-menopausal and struggled to lose that extra 10 pounds before going on SB. Now I find if I follow the SB guide lines, even in Phase 3 the weight stays off. In fact, now that I'm where I want to be I have to watch that I don't keep losing. With the added healthy foods on Phases 2 and 3 you're far more likely to stick with the SB WOE than on Phase 1.
Shae

[color=black]Greeting fellow Cruising SB'ers![/color]
[color=black][/color]
[color=black]It's been a really busy week and I thought I'd just check in. I've lost 2 more lbs and have been working out with the trainer and almost liking it! Just maybe I can be a size or three smaller by my cruise![/color]
[color=black][/color]
[color=black]I have a silly question -- I'm sailing on the Carnival Legend in Dec.... and while I'm sure they have egg-beaters on the ship -- do they have turkey bacon? (LOL... I'm the ONE rare person who actually likes the stuff!) I can handle the rest of the day if I get my SB breakfast in and avoid the croissants and fruit and cheese![/color]
[color=black][/color]
[color=black]Thanks for the answer! (And I'm glad people liked the pudding!)[/color]

Shelley, I could be wrong, but I think they offered a low fat bacon (probably turkey bacon) in the dining room for breakfast. I know it's not on the buffet, but the dining room offers alternative meals that are lower in fat and calories for all meals. ;)

I was watching "FitTV" last night and there's a show called "FitTV Doctor." They have a Doctor that specializes in nutrition that hosts the show. She picks certain diets and discusses them with the author of the diet. She then helps people that are wanting to go on that particular diet personalize the diet to their needs. Last night they picked the "South Beach Diet" as the diet to be analyzed and they even interviewed Dr. Agatston. This Doctor/Nutritionist felt that this diet was safe to go on, though she thinks phase 1 is very, very, difficult. She said she certainly couldn't do phase 1. So when she helped this person personalize the diet to their needs, she told him to skip phase 1 and do something between phase 1 and phase 2. He still lost weight steadily. She took him to the grocery store to help him shop. It was very interesting.:) Dr. Agatston said that the biggest problem with phase 1 is not that people can't do it. It's that too many people are trying to stay on phase 1 for too long which is not only unhealthy, but it's setting yourself up for failure. Nobody can stay on phase 1 for an extended period of time without feeling deprived and eventually doing some massive cheating. The cheating comes more and more often and many times leads to depression and eventually giving up altogether.:(

Marie, I wouldn't stay on phase 1 for an extended period of time for the reasons Dr.Agatston gave above. I have to agree with him, when I do phase 1 for too long, I start feeling deprived and cheat too much. I do what many people on this thread recommend, a phase 1 1/2. You aren't completely on phase 1 but you aren't completely on phase 2, you're somewhere in between. You lose weight faster this way and you don't feel deprived and cheat either.;)

Thanks guys for the advice. I started to add a little of phase 2 food. I had a cup of grapes with my string cheese for my snack. I think I can live with being half on phase one and half phase two. Guess I should shake it up a little.

Went to the gym tonight and had a good work out. I think I will bump up the exercise a notch to.

Thanks and happy dieting :D

marie

Marie:
I am a person who never did PH 1. I only had <10 lb to lose and since I started over the summer I would not give up the summer fruits I love. Chose this diet as a healthier WOE in general a year after my hubby passed away. I lost the weight in about 8-10 weeks. I still stay pretty much PH1.5-2 giving myself 1 fruit and 1 starch/day and 1 weekly cheat like pizzia.

Hi everyone! I've decided to take a "diet" break until next week to get myself pulled together. Since switching from Phase 1 to Phase 2, I've gained weight. I haven't lost any inches either even though exercising. My stomach is very swollen and I feel miserable. Don't know what's going on but plan to head to the doctor next week sometime if it doesn't go away. I'm going on a mini-vacation on Thursday and will be back on Sunday. When I return, I plan on doing a combo of SB and WW. I'm doing this to shake things up and see if it helps. I have around 20 lbs to lose now to reach my goal.

You all are doing great!

I'm here! I'm here. Been really busy, but I am back.

I started taking the evening primrose. I have only had 2 nights in a week where I had night sweats. I am hoping that the primrose is working.

Tonight is the cheat night as we go hang out at the neighborhood bar.

Didn't weigh today because I forgot:( I will try in the morning and see where I am. Things seem to be fitting loser so maybe I have dropped some.

I just used one of those low carb tortillas to make a tostada and it tasted great!:) I just toasted the tortilla in our toaster oven, took it out and put beans and cheese on top and then popped it back into the oven for a couple minutes. It really did taste a lot like a tostada at a fast food joint. And since the tortilla was whole wheat and low carb and the refried beans were fat free and the cheese was low fat, I stayed well within the limits of phase 2. I really like this because it's quick and easy to make. It probably didn't take more than 10 minutes at the most to make.;)

Juli, I'm glad the evening primrose seems to be helping. The other supplement that has been recommended by several sources is Black Cohosh.

Tami, how was your camping trip? Has it been as dry up there as it is here? My grass is getting brown and crispy it's been so dry. All the showers keep missing us.

Sheila, how are you feeling?

QT, those little tortillas are so handy to keep around. I make little pizzas with them and have used them to make BLT wraps, quesadillas, etc.

DH and I are doing a week of Phase 1 this week just to get firmly back on track. We had been doing really well staying on Phase 3, and then one "cheat" led to another. We haven't really gained any weight back, but Iwe just don't feel as good as when we avoid the "white carbs". We don't expect any company for the next week, so it shouldn't be too hard to get back on the plan.

Shae

Marie, I stick with the low-carb tortillas on Phase 2 and 3 because they taste just as good to us as the regular ones. We place the tortillas on a wire baking rack on top of a cookie sheet. Putting them up on the rack lets them make a crispy crust. I use a small amount of bottled pizza sauce*, then load up the tortillas with lots of fresh veggies, sometimes add some lean meats like ham, gr. beef or reduced fat sausage, and always use the reduced- fat mozzarella or Provolone cheese. I bake them in a fairly hot oven.. around 370.. for about 10-12 mins. It depends on how crispy you want the edges. If you cook them for a little less time they'll re-heat nicely the next day for another meal. (*You can also use a no sugar, homemade tomato sauce for an even lower carb count.)
Shae

If you don't have a toaster oven, get one! They don't heat up the house like a regular oven does and they heat up super fast.;) It also cooks the food much faster than a regular oven. I do have to stay in the kitchen and watch it when I'm cooking up a pizza or tostada because they brown up quickly and can easily burn. But the good thing about it is my pizza or tostada is usually ready in less than 10 minutes.

You can also put pizza fillings in the tortilla, fold it over and make a little pizza pocket out of it. If you brush a little olive oil on the crust it browns up nicely. They make for good lunches when you're away from home. I have also filled them up with beans, ground sirloin, and cheese. Then I brown them in the toaster oven and they taste like little chimichanga's.:) The only thing I have to watch is portion size. If I eat one tortilla pizza or chimichanga I'm okay, but if I eat 2 of them I start having cravings for carbs again. I have started having small salads or steamed vegetables to go with it instead of having 2 of them.

Another thing I've started using at lunch time for a change is "Success Brown Rice" that has 4 individual boil-in-bags in each box. Each bag makes 2 cups of natural whole grain brown rice. If you mix in some of the Campbell's 98% fat free broccoli and cheese soup it tastes a lot like broccoli, rice and cheese casserole. For dinner I mix the cooked rice with a 98% fat free mushroom soup and then put a sauteed chicken breast on top and then top it off with a slice of cheese melted on top. My husband loves this dish and it's super easy to make.:D

Shae

thank you so much I am going to make that this week as I need new things to make. I will love it real crispy. Sounds so yummy.

cruisinqt

thank you to. I have a toaster oven so I will try it. Your rice recipe sounds wonderful also.

I am in need of new ways to make things. After a while I have been getting sick of the same old veggies. this should help. I can not wait. :)

marie

Hi everyone! I had a good time on my mini-vacation, but ate way too much! Needless to say, I was SICK of junk by Saturday night. I'm currently doing a combo of SB and WW. Meaning, I'm eating SB friendly stuff, but am counting calories. We'll see if this works. My clothes are TIGHT so I've got to do something. :o

Everyone sounds like they are doing well! Keep up the good work!!! :D

Hi everyone! Whew, it's been another crazy weekend that I didn't get a chance to sit down and post. I have been working out whenever I can and have managed to get 4-5 days a week in. Right now I'm trying to do some extra cooking to put in the freezer so that IF and When the baby gets here we'll have food to eat without alot of cooking. I'm not losing weight right now and my frustration level is VERY high. So, I'm going to try to make the effort to get on line every day and post. Maybe the answer will come from ya'll. I haven't measured yet but I think I have lost some inches on my thighs. Let's hope!

It's been very hot and humid here and I'm grateful for the pool. Most of my exercise has been done in there. Too dang hot to do anything else. I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds in the next 5 weeks so that I'll be below 200 for my birthday. Suggestions? I'm doing almost all of my cooking out of Dana Carpender books now.

Well, gotta go see if the kids have started their school work. WE started a few weeks early so we can take off when the baby comes.

Tami

Hi friends! How is everyone doing today?

Tami ~ I wish I could cook a lot of meals and freeze them! That would be great for just grabbing a meal during the week. I have a hard time exercising, cooking, doing laundry, etc. every night after work. DH does help by cooking some. Any more baby news?

Archived