Uniworld River Royale- room category ?

holomuku

I realize this ship is just being launched so I doubt anyone has first hand experience...but they have 3 categories of staterooms we're considering. I think many river ships are similar so I'm hoping someone with river cruise experience can provide some insight to us "ocean experienced" folks.

The lowest priced category is on the bottom part of the ship which I'm guessing has less view. The "medium" category is in the middle with what they call "wide picture windows", then the top category that we're considering is one with French style balcony doors. I don't think they are really balconies per se, but you could get fresh air. (they also have one suite which we're not even considering for the price).

we're looking at the 7 night Rhone and Saone river trip in France. Anyone out there with thoughts on whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to a higher category?

thanks in advance for any input!

cktravels-

wow- this is great! There doesn't seem to be that much activity on this board so I really hesitated to even post the ?. I would so much appreciate your input on your return, as well as any other info about the trip. Is this your first river cruise?

wishing you a wonderful time-

My husband and I are on the 22June cruise. It will be our 4th Uniworld trip. We took one of the cheapest rooms----spend little time in room with our eyes open. The best scenery viewing is either in the lounge or on the sun deck. Will be waiting to hear about this newest ship. Enjoy Pat

Pat-

thanks for the response! Can you share what the other river trips you were on? It appears you were pleased with both the river trip experience and Uniworld. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

We were talking about it tonight, and my husband feels like we'll not spend much time in the cabin so might as well do the lowest priced. Any experience, insight, opinions, whatever appreciated. I'm of the mind-set that I'd like to be able to see as much as I can from the cabin-- but again, we've never done a river cruise so perhaps I'm off base here. We did do a Windstar cruise (which we loved!) and it only had portholes and I was fine with that. Sailing into Athens early a.m. and seeing the acropolis (sp? sorry), even through a porthole window, was the experience of a lifetime.

Many thanks to all who take the time to share their experience and knowledge.

River travel is quite different. You are never away from land. The scenery is close on both sides. When you are just cruising, it is nice to be someplace on the ship where you can look from side to side. Many people position themselves at the prow--either indoors or out. Yo will only have about 100 traveling companions. It is definitely a smooth ride--no waves, maybe a few ripples.

We originally chose Uniworld because it emphasized English speaking. All announcements made once in English. By no means is it for Americans only. We have met Brits, Scots, Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians and people from the US. The age is mostly over 50.

Our first trip was on the Seine from Honfleur to Paris---just amazing. We didn't realize that we wouldn't see Normandy Beaches. It was a pre-tour. Novices that we were , we thought we could book it on the ship and see the Beaches while the ship was in Honfleur. Fellow travelers convinced the tour director to find us a van and 7 of us wnet to Normandy while the cruise saw some ruins. We met them in Rouen. We shared the cost of the van. This convinced us that Uniworld was the best there was.

Our second trip was The Black Sea to Amesterdam--trip of a lifetime--to see what the countries of Eastern Europe are like now and what the oppressive regimes must have been like was eye-opening..This trip was 3 weeks. You could see the rise of Capitalism, the closer we got to the West.

Our third trip was a tour on a cruise---Argentina to chile on the NCL Crown. The ship left much to be desired. It went in to drydock right after our cruise. The itinerary was wonderful. Also made us realize we are small ship travelers. We have since found Oceania for ocean travel. River travel remains my favorite water travel.

Noticed you are from WA. We leave Wed. for our first trip to the Pacific NW. We will visit friends from my husband's first Navy squadron and then spend afew days in Vancouver.

Enjoy your days on the river. Pat

Pat-

thanks for the input. We did the D-day beaches when we did a transatlantic cruise. It was probably one of the most memorable thing I've ever seen in my life- I'm glad you got the chance to see it.

If you're coming this way I think you'll hit some decent weather. We've had a run of very nice weather and they say it's going to stay that way for a while.

We live 30 miles north of the Portland (OR) Airport in the very southwest corner of the state. You say you're going to Vancouver- is that BC, or WA state? You may or may not know it but there is a Vancouver, WA as well (south of us, right on the OR border). The visitors bureau here claims they are the "original" Vancouver but I've not verified that for myself!

have a great time while in WA, I'd ppreciat your post on the return with any insights on the trip.

Holomuku This will be our second river cruise; we have done a previous Christmas Market cruise on Uniworld. I like the small ship experience and the ability to see the interior of the country without packing and unpacking. We choose the cat 1 for the view and the ability to open the doors. We depart for Paris on Monday the 1st and will return after a few extra days in Paris on the 15th

European river cruising is a wonderful experience.

We did it for the first time last year and can only commend it - the ever changing scenery is a big plus.

As for Uniworld we would go with them again - they were great.

As for cabins - don't get tied in a knot over this. We took the 2nd top category and apart from sleeping spent next to no time in the cabin so save your dollars for something else. The lounge or top deck is the place to sit and talk with everyone.

Bascially you travel overnight and tie up in the next town for tours the next day. Biggest problem was the ABC (another bloody church/cathedral). Every town has one - and the first few are terrific - but then becomes boring.

Really enjoy your time - we did.

We traveled on the Uniworld Countess (I think that is the ship's name.) last October from the Black sea to Budapest. All the cabins, except the suites, were exactly the same. However, I did not care for the lowest price cabins because the windows are almost down to water level. See if you can find a picture of the ship. (They call them ships, not boats.) you may be able to determine the window elevation. I would try for the next deck, or one-half deck up from the lowest.

Uniworld is fairly well run. The food is good, but don't expect the variety of choices found on an ocean cruise. We had one major problem having to do with clock time. They used a.m. and p.m. throughout the cruise, and then switched to a twenty-four hour clock for purposes of getting to the airport for the flight out of Budapest. We did not miss our flight, but were awakened much earlier in the morning than desired.

Have a good trip.

Bob :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you said you were on the Cat 3 level of cabins on a Uniworld cruise. As posted earlier, we are doing the Lyon-Arles on the River Royale late Aug/early Sept.

My very dear and lifelong friends have decided to join us (and I am so excited!!!) and they asked me to book a Cat 3 cabin for them. I have done all the booking as they are already in France, spending the summer there. Our travel agent said Uniworld advised her when booking the Cat 3 that they "only have twin beds" in Cat 3's. This will not be a deal breaker for my friends but I'd like to know if that is correct. More than once I've gotten better (read as in :) more accurate) information from this board then from the company itself. My travel agent somewhat questioned the statement as well. I would think that the River Royale, being a new ship, would have the hotel style option where they can be put together or split apart in all categories.

If you could share your experience, it would be appreciated. Or if anyone else has experience with this- please feel free to write up what you found.

Thanks to you in advance.

Hi,

On our last cruise we were in a cat. 3 room. The twins made to a queen. We have booked a Cat. 3 for the 22 june sailing of the River Royale. Just sent an e-mail to Uniworld asking them about it. Will also talk with my TA on Mon. Will let you know what answers I get.

How wonderful that your friends will be able to share the cruise with you!

Regards, Pat

Pat-

thanks so much for your response. Hopefully our friends will be able to join us. Found out today that one of their passports has an expiration of 2/10/07 which is less than the six months Uniworld says is required.

Why they want six months validity balance on your passport from date of return-- especially when they are not involved in air arrangments- is beyond me. Since my friends are already in France the only option they would have is to get it renewed there now via the U.S. Embassy- I think this is an option, but I think it's expensive and (in my opinion) unnecessary for a river cruise that they get on in Lyon and off in Marselleis. Uniworld has zero to do with them getting in/out of the country- so why should they care? I can understand requiring ID, and even a current passport- but six months validity?? That doesn't make sense to me for a seven day cruise! And I can understand ...perhaps.. requiring that if Uniworld did their air. However, my understanding is that in reality it's the airline that is responsible for any fines levied against someone getting in/out of the country without valid documents.

I've sent our agent an email, she's very good about responding, hopefully she can convince them it's okay for our friends to travel with "just" five months remaining on the passport.

Please do let me know what you find out about the Cat 3's- I'm going to think positive that they will be able to join us!

Hi Holomuku,

Just saw a thread on other cruises---"live from the River Royale" Not much, but I asked that they try to see a cat. 3 room and to post a review on return. It is a much more positive thread about the boat. Less than a month now--am starting to get excited. Pat

Hi Pat-

I checked out the other thread, you're right- short but sweet! They seem to be really enjoying it. Hopefully they will write up more on their return.

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear what the t.a. says about my friends passport issue. Tomorrow will tell

also- do you know if they have a self service laundry on the River Royale? I thought I read most of the ships do but I don't see it on the deck plans.

less than a month for you - and it will go fast!

Hi Holomuku,

Texastart has taken the time to sent me an e-mail re: River Royale. There is no laundry on board--they will do dry cleaning. If you send me an e-mail at momcooney@woh.rr.com, I'll forward the e-mail to you. This is their first time in Europe and first cruise. They don't think they would write a great review. According to them, the beds are set up as singles unless you are registered as Mr. and Mrs. Good luck to your friends. Pat

Archived