Rodeo???

I will also be in Progresso in Nov. I'm cruising Carnival. Here's a link to their excursion with rodeo.

http://carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=PGR&excursionname=Dzibilchaltun+Mayan+Ruins+%26+Mexican+Rodeo+Show&excursioncode=320011

It's at Rancho Tierra Bonita. Perhaps you could google it if your cruise line doesn't offer this excursion.

Hey Cruisin Dave,

I am leaving on a cruise on May 15th and I am very interested in taking the Mexican Rodeo excursion. I was hoping you would share what you thought about it and if it was worth the cost? How was the meal that they talk about?

Thanks, Lynette:)

• 1 month later...

Hi Velvet Teddy Bear,

Well sorry to say, but we did not decide to go to the Rodeo after all. We were on a Carnival Cruise ship and they were charging $69.00 a person for the Merida City tour & Mexican Rodeo Show. It was 5.5 hours long. In stead we took the free bus into Progresso. Upon arriving there the bus tour guy told us about a $10.00 tour to a ruin outside of town and some other things we would see along the way. We saw pink flamingos, salt flats,(which we got to taste), the ruins, a small fishing village, a mexican grave yard, and back to Progresso for a short time of shopping and eating before we had to head back to the boat. I thought it was well worth the small fee.:)

• 1 month later...

I am about to book the Texarribbean in Feb. and this excursion sounds great. I went to the ranch's website and it says they have the combination city/rodeo tour but there isn't any information about booking it directly. Is this something I am going to have to book through the ship? It sounds like the show would be very entertaining- there will be two adults and three kids- two 16 year olds and an 8 year old. Does anyone have more information for me? (I am so excited to be going back to the Yucatan- we loved it last January and had such an excellent time!)

Thanks,

Barb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Jim,

Did you ever hear from the Rodeo?? Is there anyone out there that has done this excursion that can give info on the show and the food? We are going on the same cruise again in January and I am still wanting to go on this excursion if I can get some more info on it. Thanks!:D

Hi Rosebud......I have friends that took this tour sometime ago...and really liked it...it gave them some shopping time in Merida as well as the rodeo and show ( it includes a Mexican style bbq)....I booked it thru the ship , we are on the Dream 11/25/06...and will be there on a Monday...so......see what happens....(this board states its only on weekends????):mad:

The cost is 80.00 pp....which is a little high I think, however, last year we did a buggy tour of Merida, and it cost 59.00 thru the ship...I tried to find it direct..but the Ranch referred me back to the ship...:D

more later.......jus' me........jim :cool:

Hey Jim,

Thanks so much for the reply!! Let me know when you get back what you decided to do in Progresso. In May when we went, we just stayed in the Progresso area. We took a bus ride to a small ruin, but most of the time we were on the bus and then came back to town and shopped. I have heard so many great things about Merida that I really want to go visit it. Have fun on your cruise.

Lynette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rosebud.....Well, we leave in 16 days.....and we have booked the Rodeo/Medria tour thru the ship....its a tour and shopping in Medria first, and then the Mexican Rodeo/Show and Lunch.....we will skip the tour of Medria, except for the Church....there was a mass going on when we were there last year, so didn't get to see much of it....we will do it on our own...and go shopping the rest of the time....then the rodeo....

I will let you know how it went when we get back...

till later....jus me...jim....the velvet teddy bear...:cool:

• 8 months later...

Velvet Teddy Bear - I saw your old post about booking the Rancho Tierra Bonita excursion last year. Did you go and what was your experience like? I've done some searches and haven't found any reviews of this; I'd love to hear about your day. Thanks.

Hi Nangriffin,

I know that I am not velvet teddy bear, but I went on this excursion in January and hope you dont mind if I share my thoughts as well. It started with a bus ride to Merida. The city has some very beautiful homes and places to see. We went to a downtown square that had an old church, a courtyard and a goverment building that had very large paintings of the Mexican culture. We did not get to go into the church because there was going to be a huge concert that night in the square and they had chairs set up everywhere. We did get to see the paintings and they were fantastic. From there we were driven to a side street where we had about 30 minutes to shop. The shopping was terrible here. They wanted way too much for everything and would not bargain. I think that the dealers had a kick back going with the bus driver. We decided to walk around the corner and find our own deals. We found a small shop were we bought purses and small trinkets for very little. Then it was back to the bus and off to the Rodeo. The first thing you do is get in line for a buffet lunch. This lunch was delicious!! It was very authentic Mexican food...meaning they had Mole and a lime soup that was out of this world and so much more. You did not go away hungry. We then moved to a patio area where there were some local vendors selling their goods. I got a really pretty pair of silver earrings for $9.00 and I am enjoying wearing them. There is a show here in the patio. There are men and women dressed up in beautiful costumes and dancing. They dance with glasses on their heads filled with water and stuff like that. They were amazing. From there you go to the arena to watch the Rodeo. This is not like an American Rodeo. It is mostly ropping tricks done by the Mexican Cowboys and ropping tricks that they do with horses. Don't get me wrong, it is very good! We really enjoyed this excursion, but would have liked it better if we just went to the Rodeo and skipped Merida. I would have liked to had time to shop at the Market place in Progresso instead. One word to the wise, don't buy anything off of the vendors walking the streets. My friend bought a $5 fan and then found the same thing at the Rodeo for $1.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Texasrosebud

Rosebud. Sorry your didn't enjoy Merida. I'll be returning for two weeks this fall for my fourth extended land vacation after discovering the area on two Celebrity cruises. But for others; I've been appproached occaisionally by vendors but in a very warm, friendly and even jovial manner. Never a problem. Just maybe, avoiding eye contact might give the imression that you're not friendly or having. a feeling of superiority. Not stating that as fact, just a possible impression. It's not difficult to say "Gratias, no". After all, vendors are only trying to support their families, in the best way they can.

I agree, those gigantic paintings in the Governor's Executive Mansion are magnificent. Too bad you didn't get to see the inside of the Cathedral. Just amazing considering it was built in 1561. And yes Rosebud, the Sopa de Lima is fantastic. I can even get it here in NC in Mexcan restaurants. Better thand grandma's chicken soup.

Hdawson,

My husband has adviced me not to respond to your post, but I have seen how everytime someone says something negative about Merida you attack that person and I am tired of reading it.

In this case you are implying that I was acting superior to the Mexican people, when you dont even know me. I have been to Mexico on many occassions, stayed in their homes for extended times and done many mission trips. My husband and I both love the Mexican culture and the people.

If Merida is so wonderful as you always project, then let it speak for itself. You do not have to attack people that do not agree or try to make their opinion seem less important then yours. I am not the first person on these boards that has had a negative experience in this city. I am not trying to keep the vendors from supporting their families!!!! For you to even suggest this is outrageous.

What I meant by saying I would have rather not gone to Merida is that the places and the alloted time that they allow you to spend there is not worth the journey. I would have much preferred to spend more time at the Rodeo and shopping somewhere else.

Rosebud. Please reread my earlier post. After telling you I was sorry for your disappointment, I went on to say "But for others" just some general suggestions for anyone. My comments were not directed at you in any possible way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Texasrosebud - Thanks so much for your post detailing the excursion. Your info is exactly what I was looking for. We love touring ruins and have been to Tulum and Chichen Itza in Mexico so I'm sure we will enjoy Dzibilchaltun, but the real draw for us is the horse show. We have three kids including one very horse-crazy daughter and go to a lot of the local rodeos here in Colorado. I think that seeing the traditional Mexican skills will be great. If the meal is good too, that's an added bonus!

The description of the excursion through Royal Caribbean does not mention any shopping stops, just the ruins and ranch. I would prefer this because we are not shoppers, but if we end up stopping, I understand that it's all part of the package.

Thanks again.

Archived