Ship Doctor?

Andy99

This will be the first cruise we are taking the kids on. I was just wondering if anyone knew about getting medical help on the ship. Of course Im hoping not to find out, but if one of the kids gets sick or hurt what can i expect as far as medical help?

Some time ago, Cruise Travel magazine had an article on ships' doctors and medical facilities. Perhaps a search at the library (or google) might be helpful.

As I recall, generally high marks were given to ships calling at US ports.

My wife has had occasion to visit medical facilities on Crystal Harmony, Royal Princess, and most recently Regal Princess. She has expressed satisfaction with both the facilities and the medical staff.

Good luck.

Hi,

Luckily we havnt had to use that part of the ship, however I do know that the doctor and nurses are there 24 hours a day. I have read several posts from people who were very happy with their treatment. One lady pop her knee cap and they had to pop it back and put a cast on, plus provided her a wheel chair while on board. Also a RN had posted the staff let her have a tour of the facility as a professional courtesy last year and she was very impressed by the amount of equipment they had for emergencies. She said it was extremely clean and well stocked and the staff was friendly and knowledgible too.

Hope this helps some. I wouldnt worry about it, they can do a lot, if needed. In extreme cases you can be air lifted off the ship at sea by coast guard helicopter,( we have seen this) or if in port they can fly you back to the US for treatment. It is expensive, but it can be done.

Check your insurance coverage before you go, some will not cover you out of the US. All treatment on ship will be billed to your stateroom and they will give you a receipt to give to the insurance company if you file a claim.

mom x4,grandma x4

I had the unfortunate luck of using the medical facility on my last cruise. While, it wasn't Disney, I must say I was pretty impressed. They staff is very nice and helpful and I was very happy with the service (although it IS expensive), thank goodness for insurance. They even have 'hospital' rooms. My only complaint was that they apparently they don't do IV's often....but that didn't really surprise me! ;)

Now that I've had the experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use the facilities again if I should need them. But, I am really hoping that was a one time thing for us!

Piece of trivia I picked up on a Disney Cruise. The question was who is the one person who must be on board for the Disney Magic to sail? Everyone guessed the captain, but the answer was the Ship's Doctor. They will not leave port without the doctor onboard.

My wife had to use the facility due to an unexpected illness on our last cruise (not Disney it was RCCL. The facility had just about everything and anything you could use.They can test/diagnose blood, carry a full range of medications, and can handle most things unless they become very serious,which may cause you to be transported off the ship.

You must pay cash or credit card when the service is performed..you cannot use your personal health insurance or travel insurance as payment. You must pay and be reimbursed. My wifes bill was $550.00..so that put a little crimp in our budget,but she did receive very good care...

We have used Disney's medical facility on board the Wonder during our Dec 29th cruise. The facility was well run and had both a Dr. and Nurse. They had a separate pediatric room with child size bp cuff, etc. The charges were billed to our stateroom. The faciltiy is only open certain hours but guest services can page the nurse (who can page the DR.) 24 x 7. She called us back at 2:30 am in less than 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
This will be the first cruise we are taking the kids on. I was just wondering if anyone knew about getting medical help on the ship. Of course Im hoping not to find out, but if one of the kids gets sick or hurt what can i expect as far as medical help?

Both the Magic and Wonder have excellent facilities with happy, funny staff. Every time I vacation I always seem to do something to my body that involves testing the reality of gravity and the medical staff patches me up and sends me on my way...Even the time when my chest pains were found to be happening as a result of too much dessert rather than the price of my new auction purchase they had me in, diagnosed and out again in enough time to catch that last BINGO game... Be careful and you won't need their services...If you do, it'll be professional and pretty painless...

• 3 weeks later...

We had the 3 am ear infection on the Disney Magic last year. The medical staff was great. The only criticism I had was when I called from our stateroom, I was connected to Guest Services who sounded a little put out about having to wake up the doctor. She said, "Well, it is the middle of the night and we'll have to wake them up and that costs extra." My daughter was literally screaming in pain in the background so I said - "Wake him up, please." We headed straight to the infirmary and the doctor was already there. They were helpful, courteous and thorough and the infirmary seemed well equipped to deal with more serious emergencies than an ear infection. I was very impressed. We were in and out in 15 minutes and had antibiotics and a itemized receipt to submit to our insurance. We did have a whopping charge for the middle of the night visit - but we got it reimbursed.

My DH is the OP on this. I'm glad that I read your post and you've had experience with the ear infection and dealing with the dr. I don't travel anywhere without those Similason Ear Drops (my dr. recommended) for ear aches just in case it's the middle of the night but of course getting the antibiotics in them eleviates the pain quickly. Thanks for your input!

Archived