Comfort of bed - Island Princess

janica

We will be on the first sailing of the season (May 15) to Alaska on Island Princess. My husband and I have bad backs and usually travel with a memory foam bed topper. Flying will not permit the large extra bag required to carry the topper. We have requested an egg crate mattress pad. Does anyone know how comfortable the beds are aboard the Island? (14 days and counting!!!:D )

I think the answers you are going to get will be quite subjective, and me saying that the beds are confortable does not help you very much

.....but getting the egg crate topper is probably a good idea given your situation.

We'll I have a good back and all ships are like sleeping on a slab of concrete if that helps....I hope they facilitate the egg crate mattress for you onboard.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

We were on her sister, Coral Princess, in D-606, without a foam topper, and thought the bed fine.

It is firm, but both my wife and I like firm beds for our varied bad back problems.

At home I have a Tempurpedic bed. I had been forewarned to request an egg crate mattress topper, so did so on my Island Princess cruise this past February. The cabin steward thought that only my sister wanted the egg crate, so for the first night I slept without one. Even with a sleeping pill, I didn't sleep well because the bed was so hard. Once that egg crate was added, I slept much better. While it's not memory foam, it was sufficient for me.

Jackie

We will be on the first sailing of the season (May 15) to Alaska on Island Princess. My husband and I have bad backs and usually travel with a memory foam bed topper. Flying will not permit the large extra bag required to carry the topper. We have requested an egg crate mattress pad. Does anyone know how comfortable the beds are aboard the Island? (14 days and counting!!!:D )

HI THERE:

MY HUBBY & I CRUISED:cool: ISLAND PRINCESS TO HAWAII THIS PAST SEPT. I THINK THE BED WAS VERY COMFORTABLE. I HAVE BACK PROBLEMS TOO. HOWEVER, JUST BECAUSE I SAY THE BED WAS COMFORTABLE FOR ME, DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL BE FOR YOU.

I HOPE THIS HELPS

GOOD LUCK & HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE. WE LOVE PRINCESS AND HAVE CRUISED 14 TIMES WITH THEM

MYRA

I was 26-28 weeks pregnant for the Island to Hawaii cruise so comfortable sleep is harder for me. They provided the egg crate and I was more than happy, and I have a pillow top at home so it wasn't as soft as I'm used to, but I think you'll be fine :)

You'll get lots of opinions on this question. We sailed on the beautiful Island Princess to Hawaii in September, 2005. The bed was like a rock. I too have a bad back. Asked for an eggcrate but it wasn't until I had two blankets folded and placed under the eggcrate that I could sleep. I was fine after that. Some people like a hard bed when they have back problems. I need the mattress to be firm, but not rock hard. Have a wonderful cruise. If you find the mattress still too hard with the eggcrate try the folded blankets in addition, it will help.

sasha'smom

We went on the Island in October and heard other people complaining about the beds being too hard. Our bed at home is harder so this bed was actually comfortable for us. The people that were complaining did mention that Princess was very accommodating in getting them the egg crates or whatever else they needed to make them feel comfortable.

Guest garden4cook

I noted somewhere in the Princess literature that if you upgrade from a Balcony Double Stateroom to a Mini Suite -- that an upgraded mattress comes with the Mini Suite!

I am going on my first cruise in June 2006 on the Island Princess, and I also have a bad back - a very bad one. I will be in a Balcony Double, and will have to ask for an egg crate for the mattress. I like a firm mattress, but need some comfort as well. A pillow top is too soft for me. So I am hoping the egg crate will do the trick.

June 26, 2006 - first cruise

Northbound Alaska

Voyage of the Glaciers

room A-3x7

garden4cook is correct. We sailed on the Island this past December in a mini-suite and with the upgraded beding it was just fine. We have a Select Comfort at home so no bed comes close to that comfort but neither of us had any problems on that cruise.

Archived