How common is it to cruise solo?

cruzqueen

I just booked solo after 10 cruises with my husband. Although he consented to my cruising alone, he didn't think I might actually go through with it (I have historically gone through the motions but froze at booking time). He's happy that I am able to go, but still feels a little insecure about it. I am 42 and very happily married for over 13 years. How common is it for married people to cruise alone? I'm hoping he would be reassured if I get postitive feedback from some of you solo cruisers!

I just booked solo after 10 cruises with my husband. Although he consented to my cruising alone, he didn't think I might actually go through with it (I have historically gone through the motions but froze at booking time). He's happy that I am able to go, but still feels a little insecure about it. I am 42 and very happily married for over 13 years. How common is it for married people to cruise alone? I'm hoping he would be reassured if I get postitive feedback from some of you solo cruisers!

I don't know how common it is for married people to cruise alone, but I would imagine it happens quite frequently. Let's face it, sometimes both people don't get the same amount of vacation time, so one is left with several weeks that the other can't take.

As for how many solos you will find on a cruise, I find that varies by length of the cruise. If you go on a seven-day cruise, you're not gonna find that many solo passengers simply because seven-dayers are perfect for family getaways. Almost everyone onboard will be with a group. Now, that doesn't mean you can't meet up with people. Often families will scatter during the day ... everyone doing what they enjoy. They will only all get together at mealtimes and for shore excursions. So, it is very easy to strike up conversations with others around the ship.

When I took my seven-day cruise on the Zuiderdam in 2004, I think we had about ten solos onboard. HAL put us all at the same table in the dining room (six of us for late seating). Presumably, the others had their own table in early seating. Contrast that with my 30-day cruise on the Amsterdam this past January. We had over 100 singles and solos ... so many that the cruise director assigned one of his staff to organize special singles and solo events on just about every sea day.

Hope this helps.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You'll find more single cruisers as opposed to married solo cruisers. Not too many people travel solo who are married. I've found that the marrieds who cruise without the spouse are traveling with a group of friends, rather than just alone.

I have cruised solo although I was married. It was a long time ago, 1975. I had a really great time and made friends. Another time I went on a cruise from Venice with my friend who lives in Italy. We had a great time. I have also cruised with my husband and they were very special. I will always remember them.

After 40 years of marriage my DH passed away and I have cruised solo twice since then. Each of these cruises was 4 weeks. I choose my cruise by itinerary. I thoroughly enjoy my time and have made many new friends. I always have a cabin for myself with the exception of the 1975 cruise. I enjoy having my privacy. Know what you want and go for it.

Fran

When I chat to my fellow passengers they are always amazed and impressed that I'm cruising alone. I'm not sure why? But rather than think "oh poor thing, all on his own" it's all respect and how "brave" I am...

Anyway for me time to get all excited and I've just heard I've got a free upgrade to a nice big 188sq foot A-Deck cabin (deck 11) in a couple of days time ... :) all to my self..

I've been on 16 "solo" cruises.

In my opinion . . . . I tend to meet more new people when I travel "solo":-). It's nice having the entire cabin to my self so I can really spread things out, have the closet to myself, and most importantly . . . . make my own schedule & set my own pace.

Cruising as a "solo", I have almost always been assigned to a dinner table that has other solo cruisers at it. If not, I have asked the maidradi (sp?)if it would be possible to be seated with other singles, and they can usually accomodate if you make your request on the 1st night.

To me . . . cruising "solo" is the ULTIMATE in cruising! IMHO, It's comparable to if you've ever had a balcony cabin & REALLY enjoyed it, then it would be hard to cruise again without one. (you get spoiled)

Yup, tell your DH you're off for a week of "fun in the sun" & pampering. Then go have the time of your life. Nothing to feel awkward about because you're "solo".

Enjoy!

Annie

I would still cruise solo if in a relationship, either because of time and scheduling constraints or because my partner didn't like cruising. I'm always a bit concerned when people equate unmarried with single and therefore assume you must be on the prowl, so to speak; it's the one reaction I've had that made me feel unsafe.

I would still cruise solo if in a relationship, either because of time and scheduling constraints or because my partner didn't like cruising. I'm always a bit concerned when people equate unmarried with single and therefore assume you must be on the prowl, so to speak; it's the one reaction I've had that made me feel unsafe.

You are so right. When I tell people I am taking a cruise alone, they think I will be pulling men. I remind them that I have a man, and that I am not looking. If I did not have one, I still would not be looking, because it is not on my agenda to be anyones' plaything for a week. :)

Archived