Teen documentation problem! yikes

Kaki321

Hi, one week to cruise and my 16 year old niece lost her wallet over the weekend!

The airlines only needs the ID of the adult checking her in, so no problem there.

However, Carnival needs an "official" picture ID.

She went to the DMV today and they said a new license would take 7-10 days. Crap! Same with state ID. Crap! Talked to her principal at school today who said it would take at least a week for a new school ID, CRAP!

The problem is that, depending on which PVP you speak with, they have their own ideas on what constitutes an "official" picture ID for a 16 year old! I am going CRAZY here. (one said Sam's Club ID is fine, one said NO WAY...one said a library card or park/pool pass is fine (which she doesn't have yet, but I can "maybe" get in time), another said NOPE!).

Well, my dad pulled some strings and the Sam's club manager is going to get her a membership card (normally you need to be 18).

But, I still feel so nervous about whether or not that is "official" enough.

My whole family has called Carnival today and got slightly different answers - - but the majority (about 6-2) state that the Sam's Club card with photo ID will work.

There is no way to get the driver's license or state ID in time, so please don't suggest I check into that further, we already did - - extensively...unless you know something I don't about Michigan DMV's?

Have you ever brought a teen on board, and if so, what kind of pic ID did you use?

thanks for listening and helping if you can!!

Everytime I see a post like this, I am SOOOO thankful for our DMV... I don't understand all this waiting stuff. I can go right now and have an ID within 10 minutes.

Sam's club ID wouldn't make me very comfortable... but take it. I would at least apply for the new ID... sometimes if they say 7-10, you could have it sooner... she's going to need it, she might as well apply and see if there is a rush fee she can pay. You never know, you might get it early. They SAY passports take 6 weeks, but most get them much sooner.

I would just take everything you possibly can, and pray for the best... I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Hi, one week to cruise and my 16 year old niece lost her wallet over the weekend!

The airlines only needs the ID of the adult checking her in, so no problem there.

However, Carnival needs an "official" picture ID.

She went to the DMV today and they said a new license would take 7-10 days. Crap! Same with state ID. Crap! Talked to her principal at school today who said it would take at least a week for a new school ID, CRAP!

The problem is that, depending on which PVP you speak with, they have their own ideas on what constitutes an "official" picture ID for a 16 year old! I am going CRAZY here. (one said Sam's Club ID is fine, one said NO WAY...one said a library card or park/pool pass is fine (which she doesn't have yet, but I can "maybe" get in time), another said NOPE!).

Well, my dad pulled some strings and the Sam's club manager is going to get her a membership card (normally you need to be 18).

But, I still feel so nervous about whether or not that is "official" enough.

My whole family has called Carnival today and got slightly different answers - - but the majority (about 6-2) state that the Sam's Club card with photo ID will work.

There is no way to get the driver's license or state ID in time, so please don't suggest I check into that further, we already did - - extensively...unless you know something I don't about Michigan DMV's?

Have you ever brought a teen on board, and if so, what kind of pic ID did you use?

thanks for listening and helping if you can!!

I can't imagine why a school ID would take a week, but perhaps you could contact the school central office (if that's who does the photos). If that doesn't work, find out who prints their ids; you might be able to go directly to the source (printer, photogropher, etc.). I hope something works for you. I have no idea if a Sam's card would work.

Everytime I see a post like this, I am SOOOO thankful for our DMV... I don't understand all this waiting stuff. I can go right now and have an ID within 10 minutes.
Same thing in Florida. Once you get through the line, you have your license within minutes.

We all have passports, but before that my kids used student ID cards, then driver's license as a picture ID.

Good luck!!

Sam's club ID wouldn't make me very comfortable... but take it. I would at least apply for the new ID... sometimes if they say 7-10, you could have it sooner... she's going to need it, she might as well apply and see if there is a rush fee she can pay. You never know, you might get it early. They SAY passports take 6 weeks, but most get them much sooner.

I would just take everything you possibly can, and pray for the best... I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Thanks, she applied for a new drivers license today and has the receipt. They said no rush service was possible.

I am glad I live in Illinois, we don't have to wait. Unfortunately, she does.

I am going to take her over to the park/pool when she flys in Saturday (to Chicago) and get her a pool pass...she can walk out with a photo ID that day "if the guy who knows how to operate the camera is working Saturday." UGH! It'll be $75, but another form of Pic ID.

The only thing carnival told us we needed was a certified copy of our dd's birth certificate. We got the state issued photo id just because we would feel safer having it, I didn't know you "had" to have it. Things that make ya go hmmm hmmm hmmm.:rolleyes:

Someone in another state needed one quickly and called the office at the state level (not your local DMV) and they were able to expedite it based on the reason for need. I remember in OH, we had to wait for ours too. Love NC and IL for their quickness. All computers are linked together and they can even check for tickets, etc in other states (I believe) before issuing.

How far is the nearest passport agency? Before 911, and before Katrina, you could walk into the passport agency in New Orleans, and with proper documentation, get the passport the same day.

I'm not certain that is still the case, but it might be worth a try.

Same thing in Florida. Once you get through the line, you have your license within minutes.

We all have passports, but before that my kids used student ID cards, then driver's license as a picture ID.

Good luck!!

I know you didn't mean it this way AT ALL, but I figured my post might elicit some "should have gotten her a passport" comments. I am just trying to head those comments off by saying this...a passport wasn't an option in our timeframe - - I just got her official birth certificate last week! (let's just say my sister (her mom) isn't the most organized person.) Plus, she isn't my daughter, so I don't have as much control over this as I would like. Would have LOVED getting her the passport, I asked for the birth certificate MONTHS ago from my sister :mad:. Plus I am out of state, so there is only so much I can do from here.

Between that birth certificate (which I am holding right now), the driver's license and school ID, we were good to go.

Then she loses her wallet at the movie theatre!!

And now I can't get a straight answer from Carnival!!

UGH!

The only thing carnival told us we needed was a certified copy of our dd's birth certificate. We got the state issued photo id just because we would feel safer having it, I didn't know you "had" to have it. Things that make ya go hmmm hmmm hmmm.:rolleyes:

For 16 and over picture ID is required

How far is the nearest passport agency? Before 911, and before Katrina, you could walk into the passport agency in New Orleans, and with proper documentation, get the passport the same day.

I'm not certain that is still the case, but it might be worth a try.

There is not a center in Michigan... there are only 15 in the country. And now they will tell you that you will receive it in less than 2 weeks, you have to have an appointment now.

I called my Senator to have a Visa expedited years ago... I'm not sure they would be able to do anything for passports.

I would call Carnival and ask to speak to a supervisor... get whatever they say in writing.. have them fax it to you.

Hi

My usual advise:

1. call but have a letter to be delivered or faxed to: your State (not US) congressional or Senator's office. Even if you are not "political" and have a friend is is active in politics: ask them to assist. Offer to pay the overnight mail fee and if the Democrats do not help try the Republicans.

2. as she is under 18, well I have to be creative here: if you know a local hospital that ID's (photo's) for volunteers (many do) ask for one. here all have one. As do American Red Cross and a few others.

3. Good luck

Joe

Suspect the Country Sheirf's office in a rural county could do something.

I live in farm-ranch country: things are easier here.

You can pay money to an expediting agency that will have a passport back in three days. They will hand walk it through. It saved me when I had my passport stolen right before a trip to Great Britain a few years ago.

You can pay money to an expediting agency that will have a passport back in three days. They will hand walk it through. It saved me when I had my passport stolen right before a trip to Great Britain a few years ago.

She still has to have a drivers license or school ID... without that, a passport is really not an option.

........Then she loses her wallet at the movie theatre!!........
I remember another thread along the same lines a while back.... turns out the teen finally found his wallet before they left..... and they had the same problems with a DMV delay that you are facing. Make sure she keeps calling the theatre where she thinks she lost it, and to also keep looking everywhere else she can think of. Hopefully someone will turn her wallet into a lost and found somewhere or the DMV will get her license back in time.

If all else fails I would go with the Sams ID, the BC, and the receipt from the DMV. I think you'll be able to sweet talk your way onto the ship with that.

Hope it all works out OK!

John

I have her birth certificate in Chicago and she is in Michigan. Makes it a little more difficult and I worry about the birth certificate leaving my hands at this point as it's going to be so key to getting her on the ship.

I will, however, check into this as the inconsistency with the Sam's club photo ID isn't making me comfortable.

What kind of pic ID do they expect a 16 year old to have if they don't drive?! That is where the inconsistency at Carnival crops up. I had one PVP who suggested Sam's Club proactively! And then one who said NO WAY.

Does anyone have a different number I can call besides 1-800-CARNIVAL?

A PVP you really trust?

I typically just talk to whomever answers and don't really have one set person I talk with (which is probably part of the problem, but whatever)

I know you didn't mean it this way AT ALL, but I figured my post might elicit some "should have gotten her a passport" comments. I am just trying to head those comments off by saying this...a passport wasn't an option in our timeframe - - I just got her official birth certificate last week! (let's just say my sister (her mom) isn't the most organized person.) Plus, she isn't my daughter, so I don't have as much control over this as I would like. Would have LOVED getting her the passport, I asked for the birth certificate MONTHS ago from my sister :mad:. Plus I am out of state, so there is only so much I can do from here.

Between that birth certificate (which I am holding right now), the driver's license and school ID, we were good to go.

Then she loses her wallet at the movie theatre!!

And now I can't get a straight answer from Carnival!!

UGH!

*****, ya do have a notarized letter from her parents saying it is ok for her to travel with you, right? I promise I'm not trying to get ya even more frustrated, but I didn't see it mentioned in your post, and I know if both parents/legal guardians aren't present ya need a notarized letter from them saying it's ok for the minor child to be with you. Wouldn't want ya to get to the ship and :eek: her not be able to get on. You should be ok I think with the birth certificate and notarized letter from her parents. The brochure says an original signed letter from the absent parent/guardian, but I have read on the boards that it needs to be notarized. As I said in an earlier post, we got our dd a state issued photo id because it made us feel better, It doesn't say they need a phot id, just proof of citizenship in the form of a passport, original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Dept of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers. I just copied thatout of my carnival brochure under the heading of passport data. I copied the above about the original signed letter under the minor guests heading. Hope this helps:)

State ID if she does not drive. I am a dork. I am in Michigan. Mine came in 4 days. I also think you can go to Lansing and get it sooner. I may be wrong on that but call the SS office in her city.

Also I am not sure a 16 year old needs a photo id for a passport. My kids don't. Check into that. It is possible to get a passport with a signed affedavit from someone who can swear they know her and she is who she says she is.

I would go the phone call to Lansing route.

I remember another thread along the same lines a while back.... turns out the teen finally found his wallet before they left..... and they had the same problems with a DMV delay that you are facing. Make sure she keeps calling the theatre where she thinks she lost it, and to also keep looking everywhere else she can think of. Hopefully someone will turn her wallet into a lost and found somewhere or the DMV will get her license back in time.

If all else fails I would go with the Sams ID, the BC, and the receipt from the DMV. I think you'll be able to sweet talk your way onto the ship with that.

Hope it all works out OK!

John

Thanks John, when my husband called earlier they said it really wasn't Carnival's decision but a "homeland security" decision as to what documentation would be accepted (I don't know, this is my 4th cruise and each time I seem to remember Carnival employees checking my docs...probably trained to homeland security standards, but still Carnival employees).

I am a nit-picky person and I felt like I did the due dilligence to make sure she had what she needed to travel with us - including a notarized note from her parents.

And now this...

All this on top of the fact that my 2 year old was recently diagnosed with a neurological disorder - - well, let's just say I am a little over the edge :mad:

Somehow I feel like we REALLY need to get away as a family, now more than ever, and I am so frustrated I can't get a straight answer from the folks at Carnival.

They really need to have their act together on what an "official photo ID" means for a 16 year old - and be consistent!

Kaki, I've put a call into my PVP... she is very good and knowledgeable, I'll let you know what she says.

16 year olds can take their parents with them to get a passport if they don't have ID, the parent co-signs and gives them their ID... sounds like that isn't really an option here???

Kaki321. As a mom with kids with, "issues" I just want you to know I am thinking about you. It's hard to be slapped in the face with a problem with your little ones. Vacations mean more than ever. My heart goes out to you.

*****, ya do have a notarized letter from her parents saying it is ok for her to travel with you, right? I promise I'm not trying to get ya even more frustrated, but I didn't see it mentioned in your post, and I know if both parents/legal guardians aren't present ya need a notarized letter from them saying it's ok for the minor child to be with you. Wouldn't want ya to get to the ship and :eek: her not be able to get on. You should be ok I think with the birth certificate and notarized letter from her parents. The brochure says an original signed letter from the absent parent/guardian, but I have read on the boards that it needs to be notarized. As I said in an earlier post, we got our dd a state issued photo id because it made us feel better, It doesn't say they need a phot id, just proof of citizenship in the form of a passport, original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Dept of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers. I just copied thatout of my carnival brochure under the heading of passport data. I copied the above about the original signed letter under the minor guests heading. Hope this helps:)

Thanks for looking out for me...:) But we won't be ok without a picture ID.

We have the letter, but it really only needs to be notarized if you are debarking in Mexico (which I take it to mean "leaving the ship and going home from Mexico"). If I am wrong on my interpretation of "debarking" let me know. I think she can get on and off the ship there, just not hop on a plane from there.

From Carnival's website:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID.

Kaki321. As a mom with kids with, "issues" I just want you to know I am thinking about you. It's hard to be slapped in the face with a problem with your little ones. Vacations mean more than ever. My heart goes out to you.

Thanks, I appreciate it SO much. We are still trying to wrap our arms around everything...what it means now...what it means for the future. It's very overwhelming.

For some reason, this short little week in the Carribean means the world to us right now.

The problems will be there when we get back, but right now we just need to bond and sort through what we have literally just learned in the past week

thanks for understanding

Archived