Legal Drugs in Mexico

The OP is talking about something a bit different. Mexico's senate has passed a bill decriminalizing the carrying of small amounts of currently illegal drugs for personal use by Mexicans, as well as mandating drug treatment for problem drug users. The bill makes possession of 25 milligrams of heroin, a fifth of an ounce of marijuana, five grams of opium, 2.2 pounds of peyote, two ecstasy pills or half a gram of cocaine legal.

I figure that it will take care of the illeagal immigration problems, now instead of "guest workers" we can have an exchange program...we can send them our drug addicts, they can send us people that want to work....just an idea :D

"Drug sniffing dogs" have been on cruise ships for years, upon their return to the U.S. This is nothing new. I just saw a couple of these (very welcome) canines checking out the Jewel OTS upon our return from the best ever 8-night Eastern yesterday. Thank Dog!!

Edited to say that: "Ileagal" spelling can only spark the "emagination".

Oh my, I imagine we will see drug sniffing dogs on these cruises now. Best way to handle the problem.

They already have them. I saw the drug dogs come on board when we docked in San Pedro on the Monarch.

We live in Mexico and I can assure you that the drugs you are talking about,

cocaine, etc. are not legal. The bill to legalize small quanitites has not been

signed by President Vicente Fox and has not been published in the official

diary of the nation.

I do expect him to sign it however, but there will be some changes.

Most pharmacies will not sell you precription drugs without a precription from

a Mexican doctor. If you happen to find one who does, I would advise you

not to purchase them. You could be put in jail in Mexico and you would

face problems from US Customs when you arrive back in the US.

The very last thing I would want to do is to be caught with illegal drugs in Mexico, or any foreign country. It would be hard to happen for me since I don't use them, but the last place I'd want to be is in jail in that country.

I do believe you can purchase prescription drugs without a prescription there, it's the getting them back into the US that may be a problem for you. I know people who buy their prescription drugs there and even get hassled at the border with their prescription in hand.

I know it's not Mexico, but just watching the (now old) movie "Midnight Express" might open the eyes of anyone willing to take a chance on using or moving drugs in another country.

While it is not legal to import foreign drugs into the U.S., the current POLICY is not to seize or prosecute providing:

1. The prescription drug is NOT a controlled substance (Be careful here - - Many prescriptions are for drugs classified as controlled substances. You may NOT import this classification of drug even if you have a valid prescription.)

2. The prescription drug is for YOUR personal use olny.

3. The quantity does not exceed a 90-day supply.

The above is NOT legal advice and I do not recommend anyone's taking a prescription drug unless it is on the advice of a licensed physician. It is always best to have a physician's prescription with you even if same is not required by the pharmacy in Mexico.

We live in Mexico and I can assure you that the drugs you are talking about,

cocaine, etc. are not legal. The bill to legalize small quanitites has not been

signed by President Vicente Fox and has not been published in the official

diary of the nation.

I do expect him to sign it however, but there will be some changes.

Most pharmacies will not sell you precription drugs without a precription from

a Mexican doctor. If you happen to find one who does, I would advise you

not to purchase them. You could be put in jail in Mexico and you would

face problems from US Customs when you arrive back in the US.

I wasn't aware that San Diego (location on your profile in the right hand corner of your post) was in Mexico. ;) At least not yet. Perhaps it just seems like you're in Mexico? :D

I think the term prescription for US drugs and prescription for Mexican drugs are two different things. Some drugs that require a prescription in the US do not require one in Mexico. Thus, people are getting what is a prescription drug while in Mexico where that particular drug may not require a prescription.

Although the current policies of the FDA which I listed above may make it appear that you can sail right through customs with your 90-day supply of a given prescription, it is customs, not an FDA agent who can question the contents of your luggage. Customs has wide lattitude on how it views prescription drugs purchased outside of the US. They have the right to question you regarding the advisability of your taking the drug you are importing. They have the right to be concerned whether or not it is safe to take that drug. They also have the right to contact your physician before releasing the drugs to you. It is best to be careful and get a prescription from your physician before you leave the US. Mexican law may also require a prescription from a Mexican physician. When you return to the USA, US Customs rules!

I really do not know why I put San Diego as my posted location. One of these days I will change it.

You are right about prescription drugs being different here than in the US.

However, some shady pharmacies have been willing to sell controlled

substances which do require a prescription, to Americans that did not have

one. Then when they leave the premises they get arrested.

We buy are medicine at only a few pharmacies that we know. When our

Mexican doctor gives us a prescription, we are always asked for it.

At least in Mexico you get the medicine you are asking for, not like the

US, where the number of mistakes both on the part of the pharmacy

and doctor have resulted in a number of deaths and serious illnesses.

Regarding this new legalization of drugs, we cannot figure the true reason.

Our Presidential election is in 2 more months and this new law could have

a disastrous effect on the "Panista" candidate.

As long as you abide by the law in Mexico, you will never have a problem.

I figure that it will take care of the illeagal immigration problems, now instead of "guest workers" we can have an exchange program...we can send them our drug addicts, they can send us people that want to work....just an idea :D

LOL!!!! Sounds like a fair trade!

Wendy

Archived