Review of Governors Beach; ANYONE?

soundwaves

We were in GT last Friday. The snorkeling from Governor's beach was pretty good, we had a small stingray come right up a few feet from the beach among us. We also found several large conch shells - none real pretty but kind of cool anyway. I was disappointed in the beach itself, not real pretty, pine-type needles over a lot of it, evidence of the horses that roam freely on the island...:eek: . We took a taxi ride (expensive!) around the island and I think that Governor's beach and the cruise terminal with Margaritaville were the only things to do there unless you took one of the excursions. Maybe we missed some stuff...

• 1 month later...

We were on Grand Turk last week. We walked there as some suggested to save money, but it's a good little hike (about 3/4 of a mile) down an asphalt road and there was no sign on the turnoff road. We walked right past it. A guy sitting by the road renting scooters told us where we needed to go. It was 8:00 in the morning and already pretty hot on that road - no sidewalk. We saved money getting there, but took a cab back to the ship. (It was $3 a person for a 3 minute ride.)

The beach was very nice. There are pine trees, but there were needles in the sand only up by the trees. We didn't see horse droppings. There's a gorgeous view looking back toward the ship. We got great photos. There is a bathroom there (no toilet paper, though.) We had brought our own snorkeling gear and enjoyed looking at the fish. There are some manmade reefs very close to the shore - good for beginners like us. There were chairs along the beach and no one ever asked for money. In fact, we never saw a vendor. :) We put our two chairs in the shade of the trees. Someone was renting snorkeling gear, but not clamshells. There are lots of chairs and clamshells at the cruise center. I like a less crowded beach, so I really liked Governor's Beach.

Although we didn't spend any time at the beach right by the cruise center, you can see in the photos on the Margaritaville website that the chairs are pretty crowded together. I liked Governor's Beach because there were far fewer people there. If you like action, the one by the ship is very pretty and convenient to go get food or go swimming in the pool. We liked the seclusion. (I do think if you got there later, there might not be enough chairs, though!)

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from Grand Turk aboard the now infamous Crown Princess. My husband took a dive excursion that he said was fantastic. I went to Govenors Beach. Took a cab there for $3 and walked back. There are chairs there. One girl asked us how much we payed for our chairs. I said nothing and she said she payed $5. So I don't know what the deal is about that. I didn't ask how much I just took one and dragged it over to a nice spot. The beach is nice. I highly recommend it over the area in the cruise port. This are is loud and congested with so many people. If thats your scene then stay near the ship,otherwise go for the nice beach and the quiet. Enjoy.

Archived