Would like opinions on how NCL stacks up to RCCL?

We will be going on our 2nd RCCL cruise this Summer on Mariner of the Seas and we are considering putting down a deposit for the Southern Carribean cruise on the Nor. Pearl in April 2007. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Our kids are 4 and 9 and we were looking at the mini suite for the 4 of us.

Thanks!:)

I ahve sailed both lines and enjoy them both very much. I would say overall the quality of these lines is similar. One may be a little better with food, teh other a little better with entertainment, and so on but both very good.There are some important differences however.

I love Freestyle. It's just so much more relaxed. And we do arrange same waiter nightly because we like that aspect of traditional dining. Also NCL has a greater variety of restaurants if you're inclined. Don't have to chitchat with tablemates. Don't have to spend an overabundance of time getting dressed for dinner. However, if traditional dining is a big part of the cruise experience for you, expect that NCL will be a change for you.

We have found RC to be more expensive than NCL, especially since my TA can no longer discount RC. Given that, I think NCL is a better value.

Tips are automatically posted to your bill on NCL.

NCL does not have singing waiters, which I am tired of so that's a good thing.

Service was great on both. In general there was overall a more genral cheerfulness of the RC staff. That said, best witer I've ever had was on an NCL ship. We enjoy the food on both very much. Entertainment a litte better on NCL.

Our kids liked the Rc kids clubs, but really liked the NCL club. When asked they tell me the Dawn is the best kids club of all.

Good luck with your choice! I am sure the Pearl will be quite beautiful.

I will have her answer this after the 15th.

She was on the RCCL Monarch of the Seas (?) out of Los Angeles last weekend and will be on NCL Sun out of San Francisco on the 10th.

After that we will write reviews

I agree both are similar. I enjoy the freestyle of NCL. But it seems you either love it or hate it but it's worth a try.

I liked the parades on RCL and the ship we were on was a beautiful ship.

It's worth a try to see what you think between the two.

Forgot to add= no rock slimbing or ice skating on NCL, or Ben & Jerry's, Johnny Rockets. Newer ships do have a waterslide and free icecream poolside. Solarium pools on RC are really nice, you don't have that on NCL.

I would have to say I prefer NCL over RCI for almost every reason; certainly our experience has been NCL has a better and friendier crew and probably better food overall as well as better entertainment. Of course this depends on the ship and one has to compare like ships, older versus older, top of the line versus same and balcony catagory on each. The size of the cabins will be similar with NCL having slightly better storage plus remember NCL offers a bigger variety on eateries. RCI wins on onboard activities especially if the rock climbing, ice skating, etc is your thing. If the prices are the same I think I would consider whether I wanted to give up freestyle for maybe a better itinerary (usually this would not be the case) In most cases the price is higher on RCI. NMNita

Archived