Cave Tubing Attire?

I would wear a good athletic bathing suit.

I'd probably skip water shoes and wear sneakers not because they are ugly but because I would want a more substantial shoe. I don't think a water shoe would protect my foot if I slammed it against a cave.

In my beach bag, I'd take along another dry bathing suit and a bathing suit cover up as well as flip flops and a plastic bag for my wet clothes.

Thanks, BlueHerons. We're actually going to a restaurant afterwards, so I'll be bringing a full change of clothes rather than another bathing suit. As for the water shoes, they are what are recommended for the trip--the excursion is not anything resembling white water rafting; we're floating downstream.

I guess I should be clearer with my question: do people solely wear bathing suits on these things (if you've been on this excursion), or is it common to wear something like board shorts if one is fluffy and doesn't want to expose one's entire body to the rainforest creatures and travelling companions in a bathing suit?

Books4sail, Do were water shoes if you are going to Belize, the water current is not so strong that you will be thrown up against any rocks or walls.:rolleyes: There were some women in our group that did wear the board shorts, wear whatever you want after all you are in the JUNGLE.. It is more of a relaxing float, we went in March with Yahoney an Jr & cavetubing.com they were great an we went through 2 long caves an the rest of the river down to were the bus parked. :) It is a nice 30-40 minute walk from the bus. If you book through the ship you only get 1 cave no river an cost more.:o Do bring dry clothes if you booked with a private co. there is a place to change.;) We had a great time tubing with JR he was the highlight of the trip..:p

We did this excursion when we stopped in Belize; I would wear a substantial pair of tennis shoes or maybe a pair of Teva sandals. The trail that you take to actually get to the caves is a little bumpy and water shoes don't provide very much support.

As far as what to wear; I wore a pair of those land's end water shorts over my bathing suit during the excursion.

When we got back to the van; I went into the ladies room and changed into some shorts and T-shirt.

I wore a rash guard and board shorts because my bathing suit was very brief. Afterwards, I wished I had worn my wetsuit (I had to be helped out of the water at the end because I was so cold I couldn't walk)! If you are prone to getting chilled like I am, you may want to add an extra bathing suit or something to keep your core warm.

But that's just me - I have been near hypothermic SCUBA diving in Mexico, too :D

What do people typically wear cave tubing? I plan to wear water shoes, but what about clothes, swimwear, etc.?

a swimsuit with swimmming shoes worked well- and as the other person said-bring a change of clothing for afterwards.

Thank you all. This is very helpful! We're actually going with the cruise line (in Belize) because we're first time cruisers and we were just too chicken to book with anyone else! I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

Thank you all. This is very helpful! We're actually going with the cruise line (in Belize) because we're first time cruisers and we were just too chicken to book with anyone else! I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

that is what my hubby and daugher did. It was only $10 cheaper not to book with the line-and they had tranportation and everything included. Plus when we were in belize, we had like a 30 minute tender and the ship was supposed to leave at 4 pm. Hubby and daughter just barely made it back on ship before we sailed at 4:30 pm.

If they had booked the excursion privately they would have been sweating bullits about getting back on time-but they knew the ship would have to wait on them as it was booked through the ship and there was a busload and then tender load of people from our ship getting back on.

We did this excursion last January. We wore bathing suits (I even brought an old one for this day) along with nylon board shorts and tshirts. I'd strongly suggest the tshirt because your arms will be rubbing on the innertube.

I saw people in many different kinds of shoes. I personally wore some Teva type sandals. There were also old tennis shoes and watershoes. I don't think the walk would be very comfortable in watershoes but lots of people did it. They also have watershoes at the park that you can rent if you don't want to bring your own. My sister brought an old pair of tennis shoes and just threw them away when she was finished - one less thing to bring home.

It was a fun excursion -- the lunch was amazing.

Water sandals or comfortable water shoes, you do have about a 20 min walk through the jungle. There is a lot of quick dry clothing you can get, also there are good changing facilities at the resort. We did book with a private company at a significant savings, 4 of us and a guide linked our feet tube to tube and passed the ships groups who were having their problems as the river was high, fairly swift (Dec) and there were but 3 guides for 30 to 40 people. Some people were getting swept up into rock pockets in the caves and a guide would come get them out. If your guide is really good, he'll tell you when to lift your bottom to miss the underwater rocks. We were in an air conditioned van and got back well ahead of the ship's tour (two groups) in time to have a Beliken Dark at the Wet Lizard where the tenders dock.

Archived