Valley of 10,000 smokes: Brooks Falls

tapia

Has anyone done this tour?

I know from what it says on the site, but does anyone have personal experience? What does strenuous mean on the hike? What do you see?

Frmo the site: The tour meets at the lower viewing platform at 8:30am. The bus driver is also the tour guide, so feel free to ask questions. The 23 mile drive to Overlook Cabin is broken up with stops for scenic views and wildlife viewing. At Overlook Cabin you'll have time for lunch and to look over displays and historic photos of the "Valley of 10,000 Smokes." Those interested may hike down with the tour guide to examine the ash and pumice "Valley" floor. The hike is a bit strenuous. We recommend that you dress in layers so you can layer on or off as exercise and the weather dictate. A raincoat and comfortable walking shoes are a must.

What port?

No port, NancyIL. You have to fly to Brooks Falls area in the Katmai to go to the Valley of 10,000 Smokes.

I have been-didn't go to the bottom of the "valley"(extinct volcano-which is what it is really). I didn't think it was very interesting. I was bored-what can I say!!!

No port, NancyIL. You have to fly to Brooks Falls area in the Katmai to go to the Valley of 10,000 Smokes.

I have been-didn't go to the bottom of the "valley"(extinct volcano-which is what it is really). I didn't think it was very interesting. I was bored-what can I say!!!

So - you fly there from where? Anchorage before or after your cruise?

So - you fly there from where? Anchorage before or after your cruise?

You can fly from Anchorage with Rust's (and probably others). I went from Homer, which is directly across the way from Katmai.

So, you think it's not worth the money, right?

Do you just sit on a bus for a while? Much better to watch the bears?

So, you think it's not worth the money, right?

Do you just sit on a bus for a while? Much better to watch the bears?

I was bored, but then again, I had been to the area before. We weren't on a bus very long. The bears are MUCH better.

Andy, the pilot from Homer Air took us. Just one more thing "I HAD TO SEE".

To me, it wasn't worth the money. Others may feel differently.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might depend on what your interests are regarding whether it's 'worth it' or not. Personally, if you do take the trip, I'd go on the hike. Being a bit out of shape, I thought the hike was strenous (1 1/2 miles and 1000 feet elevation change), but the view from below, looking up at the ash walls above you, is amazing. In my book, it's almost silly to drive all the way out there and not take the hike, but that's my opinion (bring water though!). Also, I found the ride to be a bit nauseating, but then again, I'm prone to motion sickness.

It's not much, but here is my blog entry from when I worked there.....

http://katmai2004.blogspot.com/2004/06/valley-of-10000-smokes.html (skip to the last paragraph)

I took the trip about 20 years ago and enjoyed the hike into the Valley of 10,000 Smokes, primarily because I teach geography and am very into volcanoes. However, the excursion has become extremely pricey for what you get and the weather can be really variable.

Penair and Alaska Airlines also offer tours to King Salmon with transfers by boat or small plane to the park.

Still I think money is better spend taking one of the excursions into Kenai Fjords or Prince William Sound.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I think I'll stay away from the tour b/c I don't believe it would be worth it to me & my mother (perhaps a little too strenuous).

Also, I'd rather just look at the bears.....

Thanks!

Archived