Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles; other airports?

sherin65

You can fly into LAX, Long Beach (which is the closest to the pier), Burbank, Orange County, or Ontario. Without looking at a map, I think the airports from closest to furthest away are: Long Beach, Los Angeles, Burbank, Ontario, and Orange County. (maybe the last two should be switched around). Hope this helps.

You could book Celebrity, Mercury, Mexican Rivera, Mar 2007, out of San Diego. That is what we did. The port is within minutes of the airport, so minimal expense via taxi. I cruised out of San Diego in March and it was SO EASY.

Marie

One benefit to sailing from San Diego is that it is a bit closer to the Mexican Riviera, and can spend a little more time in ports like Cabo San Lucas. Coming back to LA meant we had to leave Cabo at 2pm, while other itineraries I saw online for Celeb and HAL had them staying in Cabo until 5 or 6 because the port of San Diego is 100 miles closer.

Did you guys ever think that maybe the OP booked one of those three or four day cruises out of LA/Long Beach?

And the cruises out of San Diego run at least $100 more per person (average) than the LA cruises?

You can book an 8 nighter out of LA (NCL) about $250.00 cheaper pp than the 7 nighter on the Mercury out of San Diego. Carnival's 8 nighter out of San Diego is the ONLY cruise that compares in price.

We'll be on spring break so we were planning on taking the Vision 7 day. I think an 8 day would be pushing it with flights and the kids having school the next week. The Vision is only 599.00 per person. It's the price of the airfare that scares me!

Thanks for all of your information! This will help us with our planning a great deal.

We recently flew into Long Beach on jetBlue from Oakland, CA. (We had been staying in San Francisco for a few days before the cruise on the Sapphire Princess). jetBlue was wonderful, as usual, but the Long Beach airport was an absolute dump. It was, quite honestly, just a bunch of trailers connected to a very old "terminal" building that couldn't have had more than 3 gates and the control tower. We had to use airstairs to get off the aircraft, and the baggage claim was actually outdoors. (There was a covering incase it were raining, however.) However, it was pretty close to the pier, and as I said, jetBlue is a great airline and has lots of flights into Long Beach. We flew home from LAX on Delta Song...I liked LAX quite a bit more, but it was farther from the port, and therefore, the taxi ride was more expensive.

Quite honestly, LAX is kind of a dump, too. Of course, that was after being at the relatively new Detroit terminal. But, I'd rather walk up a set of airstairs than walk 3 miles from check-in to gate. All I need is a washroom before the flight adn I'm set LOL.

Our local airport installed a couple jetbridges in their renovation a few years ago. They are only used in snowstorms, because they are so far out of the way, and you have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the bridge level anyway. The apron between the 2 bridges can hold 6 737's side by side, to give an idea of the space they have, but they usually park the planes right in the middle where the hold room is. You walk outside, up the stairs and you are set.

Archived