Triminghams Gone in Bermuda??

Sandals

Trimingham's, though beloved is gone, yet Bermuda shopping still goes on per this article from The Royal Gazette:

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050811/NEWS/108110077&SearchID=73243551156023

Last modified: August 10. 2005 10:24PM

Shops report sales jump since closure, but mourn the loss of Trimingham’s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Nadia J Arandjelovic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things have not been the same around town since the closure of the Island’s mega-store Trimingham’s.

The Royal Gazette travelled to several neighbouring stores this week to get some insight on how they have been affected by the change.

While many businesses have noticed a boost in sales, no one denies that Hamilton has changed or that a part of the City’s retail culture has faded.

When asked about sales, staff at The Irish Linen Shop said far more people are actually coming into the store since the closure of Trimingham’s.

“(There’s) not necessarily a change in sales but definitely in traffic,” said Irish Linen Shop sales clerk Mia Finsness. “There have been a lot more people in the store, especially on Harbour Nights.”

Though Trimingham’s closure hasn’t greatly affected business for The Irish Linen Shop, Ms Finsness said she has noticed a change in the area’s atmosphere.

“We are hopeful that something will go in to energise the building again because it has been very quiet around here,” she said.

One business that has had particular success since the closure has been The English Sports shop and its associated stores, Marks & Spencer, Boutique CC and the new store Lusso.

“Business is definitely performing at a higher level,” said English Sports Shop president David Hamshere, when considering the loss of a major retail competitor.

The increase in sales is overshadowed by the sadness that many feel over the store’s shocking closure, however.

“Obviously we don’t take any pleasure in seeing the demise of Trimingham’s,” said Mr. Hamshere.

Another chain of stores which has had notable success since the closure is the Calypso chain which includes French Connection, Voila, Benetton and Max Mara.

“I see an extensive amount of increased traffic,” said group sales manager Maritza Sequeros.

“It is sad because it’s an era that’s come to an end,” she said, adding that she hopes this closure does not reflect a trend. Nonetheless, Ms Sequeros said she understands that the business world must go on.

One good thing that may come out of the closure is that it will force businesses to up their standards and provide consumers with what they are looking for, she suggested.

“I just hope the future will be brighter and steady,” she said.

Though Vera P. Card also noticed short-term sales improvements, manager Jan Card said he was disappointed about the closure and concerned about the possible long-term impacts for smaller businesses in Hamilton.

“From the point of view of our visitors, you have to think of Hamilton as a mini-mall and ask yourself what happens to the other shops in a mall when the anchor store closes down,” he said.

Crisson’s reported that they have been doing well since the closure and have seen an increase in store traffic, particularly on the weekends.

But president Peter Crisson said Trimmingham’s closure has been a loss for the community. “We are very disappointed that they are gone,” he said.

Trimingham’s had been in business for well over 160 years and had become a cultural landmark for both residents and visitors to the Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Trimingham's was wonderful! I spent the entire time in Hamilton at the store. They had an amazing going-out-of-business sale. I picked up Baccaret candle holders, Burberry clothing and accessories, and 14k jewelry for a song. I bought a necklace with their logo (the tall ship), and kept their shopping bag just... because.

It's so sad that they're gone. There's really no other store in Bermuda like it. :(

I love your screen name!

Retail shopping in Bermuda is certainly very different now than the way it was in 1999. I loved walking up Front Street in Hamilton. The shops were so elegant. What has taken their place?

Before I lament the days of the past, I must confess that Center City Philadelphia is also very different from the way it was in 1999. Our last local department store, Strawbridges, closed today. Ten years ago, Strawbridges piped classical music into the store. Shopping there was a pleasure. Then came a sale to new owners. The classical music was set aside, and the merchandise was crammed onto the racks in a way that made it difficult for me to find what I wanted. Now, Strawbridges has gone the way of Trimminghams... sigh...

Joan

I love your screen name!

Retail shopping in Bermuda is certainly very different now than the way it was in 1999. I loved walking up Front Street in Hamilton. The shops were so elegant. What has taken their place?

Before I lament the days of the past, I must confess that Center City Philadelphia is also very different from the way it was in 1999. Our last local department store, Strawbridges, closed today. Ten years ago, Strawbridges piped classical music into the store. Shopping there was a pleasure. Then came a sale to new owners. The classical music was set aside, and the merchandise was crammed onto the racks in a way that made it difficult for me to find what I wanted. Now, Strawbridges has gone the way of Trimminghams... sigh...

Joan

Nothing has gone into their space - yet. The Bank has purchased the Trimingham's building and are trying to get permission to build but are running into some opposition with design. Trimingham's and Smith's are really missed by the locals.

Triminghams was a family owned business. I think that's what gave it the charm. Other department chains can move in, but I don't think it would be quite the same. It's so sad as the store was opened in 1842.

They carried gorgeous merchandise, all under one roof-- including a fabulous selection of perfumes, high end crystal, and I LOVED their jewelry department! They carried adorable 14k charms. I have one of the Trimingham's logo (a tall ship).

I haven't been to Bermuda since 2004. Every trip I would go to Trimingham's to purchase wedgewood for my collection. Where can I purchase it in Bermuda now?

Thanks

Try Bluck's on Front Street and A.S. Cooper's across from the bus terminal on Church Street.

Archived