Should I take my 1 year old to Cave tubing in Belize?

mdxter

Just wondering if anyone here has done the Cave tubing excursion in Belize with a one year old? How did it turn out? Please share your experience.

I have been wanting to do this excursion for a long time and don't know when I will be back in Belize. To book or not to book, tough decision.

We will be there in September on the Valor.

Mdxter

Yes, did this with Junior and cavetubing.com....absolutely wonderful and a highlight of our cruise.

If I could just go back to Belize I would. The people were very nice.

As far as a 1yr. old on the excursion, I would suggest against it. There is some hiking to the spot where you get in the river. And it does take some wiggling to get into your tube. The tubes link up at points and it is controlled chaos in areas where you go through the caves. It gets pretty dark as well. And, depending on the rains, the river can be fast and the water level high.

I'd stick to doing something else. :)

The cave tubing trip is great, but not with a one year old. The water moves pretty fast in some places...espcially where you have to get out of the river. We took our 11 year old daughter who had no problem. RCCL won't take anyone under the age of 12 and I don't think the private tours will take anyone under the age of 10. I don't think I would recommend it for anyone under the age of 10 either. :O

I went last summer and took my two kids and a friend's kid. They were 11, 9, and 6. I wouldn't do it again even with kids this age. The first reason is you have to walk a very long way through the forest to get to the point where you actually get into the water. My daughter complained the whole way!! Next, the water was freezing inside the caves. My 9 year olds lips were completely blue and he complained most of the time we were in the caves. The caves get very dark, you cannot see anything!! The guides do not like for you to keep your flashlights on(the ones that you where on your head, like a miner) because it wastes the batteries. It was very difficult for my husband and I to manuver to keep all of the tubes together. Finally I had to put my 6 year old on the tube with me.

As someone already posted, in some places it was very shallow, and my bottom scraped the rocks alot :eek: , especially because when I tried to lift it up, I had an extra 50 lbs. on top of me!

Although I had a nice time, I won't be doing it again, until my kids are

much older and able to handle it on thier own.

I guest that settles it. I will have to find something else to do. I will have to make another trip to Belize when she is older. I guess that is not such a bad thing.

More research on what to do in Belize now.

Thanks everyone for some invaluable info.

Mdxter...

I was going to post a warning that my friend went on this excursion a few weeks ago and a SNAKE fell on her out of a tree......YIKES! I sure wouldn't want to have a toddler with me and a snake fall on us!!!

I did the excursion to Altun Ha ruins in Belize. Although it is VERY hot, the walking there is almost all flat. As long as you are prepared for the sun that one should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...
I guest that settles it. I will have to find something else to do. I will have to make another trip to Belize when she is older. I guess that is not such a bad thing.

More research on what to do in Belize now.

Thanks everyone for some invaluable info.

Mdxter...

Couldn't you arrange for a sitter while you do the excursion?

We could use a baby sitter but since this is our first child, we want to do everything with her.

I still have no idea what i can or want to do. Must do more research.

Thanks guys,

Mdxter

Archived