Sightseeing in Bangkok

mike35

We're booked on the 2/5/07 Oceania Nautica cruise, ending in Bangkok. We'll have one full day on the ship prior to disembarking the next morning. We've not been to Thailand, and we would like suggestions as to how many extra days one might need to experience this fascinating part of the world. Also, we welcome any post-cruise hotel suggestions. The Marriott looks quite nice, but we're open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Mike

We're booked on the 2/5/07 Oceania Nautica cruise, ending in Bangkok. We'll have one full day on the ship prior to disembarking the next morning. We've not been to Thailand, and we would like suggestions as to how many extra days one might need to experience this fascinating part of the world. Also, we welcome any post-cruise hotel suggestions. The Marriott looks quite nice, but we're open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Mike

What interests you? Personally, I like the elephants, the tigers and the Bridge on the River Kwai/WWII historical stuff. But that is not in Bangkok-3-4 hour drive from the city itself.

Below is info from another post-maybe you already read it??

We spent three days in the jungle visiting the tigers, going on elephant rides, and rafting on bamboo boats. All the agencies I posted are reputable. We used two of them-Jumbo River Kwai and WTS-Thailand.

My tastes lean towards animals and the countryside. I am probably the only tourist who spent 13 days in China and never saw the Summer Palace or Forbidden City. But I am probably one of few tourists who has seen pandas in the wild. I chose Chengdu and the mountains over spending time in Beijing.

You will want to see the floating market in Bangkok. It's the one thing I do every trip to Bangkok.

I love the Peninsula Hotel. Been to Bangkok 4 times and have always stayed there. If you look around, you can usually get the Pen for about $240.00 per night. Expensive for Bangkok, I know. But it is one of the top 10 hotels in the world. The service is to die for and eating lunch at the restaurant on the river really makes you feel like you are part of Thailand.

Previous post:

This is what you are speaking about, correct??

http://www.openworldthailand.com/ind...294788&Ntype=5

This is the agency we used, but they book 3 day tours. They may have a one day tour-I never inquired about a one day tour.

http://www.jumboriverkwai.com/index....8&position=top

These two agencies books 1 day tours, but make sure you check how much time you get with the tigers. Some only let you stay for an hour or two.

http://www.wts-thailand.com/index.cfm?menuid=79

http://www.thailandday.com/

Mike

We've never been to Bangkok (or on Oceania, on that matter), but we are scheduled for the January 6, 2007, Hong Kong to Singapore. On line I found a tour guide (driver or what ever) who seems to be fantastic. We've booked them for the two days we will be in Bangkok. They will pick us up at the ship and return us to the dock the second night. He is from Israel and his wife is from Bangkok. While I have no idea how the actual tour will be, he was very helpful in making suggestions and offering alternatives. I'm looking forward to hearing English with a Thai /Hebrew accent! Their charge was very reasonable. If you would like his name and e-mail address, let me know (jrkfrkataoldotcom). We thought this would be the best was to mazimize our short time there.

Fran

We went to Bangkok as part of the October 2005 Princess Diamond cruise. The city, to me, is absolutely fascinating. To answer your queries: first, about the hotel. We stayed at two hotels while there--the JW Marriott for 3 nights and the Shangri-La hotel for 1 night (we went to Angkor Wat for 2 nights between those hotel stays). Both hotels are rated 5*, and both I obtained via Priceline (for $75+ and $105+ per night, respectively). I preferred the Marriott. The room was terrific and I really liked the marble bathroom. The JW Marriott is close to the train station, which makes getting around very easy. It has an absolutely fabulous breakfast--anything and everything you could possibly want to eat. And the steak house is awesome. Mind you, the restaurants come with awfully high price tags for Bangkok, but still worth it, I think. My hubby preferred the Shangri-La. He liked being on the water. I think he preferred the outside dinning too. Several folks we cruised with stayed at the Marriott Resort & Spa, also on the water. I did not hear one bad word about the hotel--in fact, many enjoyed it tremendously.

I'm not sure what is the optimum number of days to spend in the area. I think we covered it rather well with 4 nights in Bangkok and 2 nights in Angkor Wat. I wish we had more time to see more but, alas, as working stiffs home beckoned. In Bangkok, my three favorite activities were these:

First, the Floating Market and the Elephant/Crocodile Park excursion. A cc member from our group arranged the tour. You can see his remarks at post #1006 here: http://ttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5212259#post5212259 . We were picked up by private car at our hotel and taken to meet the others at the bus depot. From there we went by bus to the floating market. We had lunch at the park that was quite good. In addition to the elephant ride, we had our pictures taken with a mother and baby elephant and also a picture with two tigers. The crocodile show was very nice—as was the zoo portion of the park. I also enjoyed the elephant show—elephants playing soccer and dancing. The excursion lasted all day and honestly was a highlight of our stay.

My second favorite activity in Bangkok, and one I suggest not be missed is a trip to the Grand Palace. We did not take a group tour, rather we just took the boat to the correct stop, walked down the street and entered the grounds. One person tried to tell us the palace was closed and wanted to take us to a different temple, but we just ignored him. (A couple from our group was discouraged from going because 4!!! different people told them the palace was closed—it wasn’t! Be wary!) Anyway, once inside we purchased headsets that tell you the history and commentary about the various things you are seeing. The look of the various temples was awe inspiring. Sort of like an adult Disney land.

Finally, my 3rd favorite activity was getting a few suits and shirts made for me at the Cotton House. It’s located in a sort of upscale strip mall near the Oriental Hotel. I was measured, selected the fabrics I wanted and brought pictures of the suit design I wanted. The suits turned out great; the fit was perfect; and while not inexpensive, the cost was but a fraction of what it would cost for me to have the suits made in Boston.

Enjoy your cruise!

Lots to do and see in Bangkok and at relatively inexpensive prices. More important though is to think about jet-lag. If you are flying in from the USA you may want to rest-up a few days on land before getting on the cruise so that your body clock adjusts and you can fully enjoy your cruise.

Hi Guys

Bangkok is one of the best cities in the world - completly mad but amazing. I have been twice in the last few years, not to cruise but as part of extended holidays to Thailand.

If you only have one day i would forget the idea of going to the floating market or the bridge on the Kwai as both would use the whole day and the market is actually now just a tourist attraction and no "real" market used by the locals is there. if you are stasying post cruise for longer, then rather than pay a large sum of money to visit it, go to the northern bus terminal in the city and get a bus. It will cost you no more than a few dollars in a air conditioned bus with comfortable reclining seats and they will drop you off at a point where you can hire a boat with boatman

For a one day adventure:

Get a long tail boat to Wot Arrun which will take you through the city rivers and for a tour around. Head for a sky train to go to the MBK shopping centre and pick up a few of the famous Bangkok bargains, have lunch in the amazing food hall on the top floor. After lunch head for the grand palace and the next door temple of wot Pho

Get a taxi, or if you feel adventurous a motorcycle taxi to Pat Pong. Yes this is the famous seedy road in the city, but it really is a must see, especially in the evening when the night market opens.

If you have any more time after this and arent leaving untill night time, you could squeeze in a trip to a Thai Boxing stadium - the national sport.

Mike,

Things not to miss: (my opinion, of course)

Jim Thompson's House

Floating Market

Jade Palace

PatPong at night - outdoor is night mkt, indoors are the strip clubs. Stick w/ "Kings Group" clubs (they'll be a sign on the door) - they won't rip you off. Clubs are "women friendly" and I was treated very nicely.

MBK (mee bong krong) - shopping mall that the thai's shop in. Great buys on 24K gold jewelry. I'll disagree with another post-er who recommends the food there. We thought it was terrible.

Thai Massage - hotels will charge you over $60. Go where the Thai's go and you'll pay about $5.00. You stay in your clothes for a thai massage or a fancy place will give you a loose fitting tee and drawstring pants to put on.

Hotels - Peninsula, Shangri-La or Mandarin Oriental if you want to stay on the water. Erawan Grand Hyatt if you want to stay in city.

Restaurants - "Lemongrass", "Vegetable Market", "Cabbages and Condoms"

We flew into BKK and hired a guide for a half day tour right at the airport. They had a licensed tour kiosk in the baggage claim area. We had an english speaking guide and an a/c car & driver for about $30. total for about a 5 hour tour. We arranged to have her pick us up at our hotel the next day. Easy peasy. Then we spent the rest of our days on our own.

Taxi info - before you get into cab, make sure driver will turn on the meter. (just say "Meter") If they won't, walk away to another taxi (then they'll usually say "ok, ok!") If there are very few taxi's around and not other choices, pre-negotiate the price before you get in. Have a map to where you want to go. Having the name written in thai isn't alway helpful since many drivers either don't know where things are, or they can't read thai because they're from Laos.

Bangkok's a blast. Enjoy!

Jane

My second favorite activity in Bangkok, and one I suggest not be missed is a trip to the Grand Palace. We did not take a group tour, rather we just took the boat to the correct stop, walked down the street and entered the grounds. One person tried to tell us the palace was closed and wanted to take us to a different temple, but we just ignored him. (A couple from our group was discouraged from going because 4!!! different people told them the palace was closed—it wasn’t! Be wary!)

Being told that the "Palace is closed today" is part of the Bangkok tourist experience!!! LOL!!!!

The usual reason is because "today buddhist holiday. Palace closed".

On the day we went, we were told it was closed because the Prince was visiting. Of course, we ignored these people who were "generously" offering to take us to their favorite jewelry factory for a tour <wink>.

Turns out that when we got to the Palace, admission was free that day because the Prince was visiting! :)

I hope you made it to Jim Thompson's House. That's one of my favorite places in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

On a cruise a few years ago we were told the Palace was closed because of a wedding. On a repeat trip we were "shocked" to find the place actually open. But seriously, Bangkok (and Thailand) is one of the great tourist places on earth. I was there many times during the Vietnam War, and it was interesting to see how much the city had changed (no canals,,,the worst car traffic on earth, etc). I have always loved this city, and now my wife shares my feelings on this fabulous city. As for how many days,,, I would say that 3 would be the minimum to see the major sites. If you really have the "spirit of adventure" and are a bit nuts.. go visit Patpong in the evening. On our first trip my wife insisted I take her to one of the so-called sex clubs in Patpong,,, but the ladies working there looked like the same one's I saw in 1970! (only a joke).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Mike:

I am currently in Bangkok vacationing so here is some current info.

You will enjoy Bangkok very much...expect a bit crazy and exciting and you will not be disappointed...The Penninsula is a fabulous hotel located on the Chao Praya river....all rooms have views and you should be able to get some good rates through the peninsula or asia rooms. Keep in mind that if when you check in they have a 1 bedroom suite available....they will upgrade you for only $110 per night and this gets you 12 floor to ceiling windows two bathrooms living room etc. I don't know what your budget is however this is an experience if it fits. Service has slipped a bit since the hotel opened....it has dropped from many of the rankings recently...That said...Dinner two nights ago was fine. I am sure you will love it.

Watch your wallet at all times in Bkk.

You have three mobility options from the Peninusla which is located on the opposite side of the river from the center of town....The free river boat which drops you at the pier in front of the Shangri-la....where the taxi's wait to over charge you is one. Taxi from the hotel or arrange for a private car and driver prior to arriving (peninsulas private car rates are high). Peninsula boat also drops you at the skytrain station so if your health and mobility is good that is the easiest most efficient way around bankgok as traffic is killer. Though it is hot......

You should definitely do the visit to the floating market...Royal palace and the reclining Budha which is close by. for a quick 3 hour trip arrange for a long tail boat ride through the klongs behind the hotel...they will drop you at Wat Arun which is beautiful and then pick you up to bring you back to your hotel. This costs 1500 baht ($40)for two people if you book it on the public dock by the Royal orchid Sheraton hotel....The Peninsula boat drops you for free at River City right next to the Sheraton as well so this is easy. Just exit river city...walk past the sheraton on your right and make the first right into the boat terminal....a little old guy will arrange the boat for you.

Shopping is great in BKK. 1) Shopping mall shopping is best at MBK...pure madness...fake gucci bags, diesel jeans, all sorts of thai silks and chatchkes on the 5th floor and anything you can imagine...Don't buy jewelry here. We bought many other things though.....

Bangkok is the colored stone capital of the world. You can get some great buys but you need to be careful. I would pick up th Luxe guide to Bangkok which recommends a variety of reputable shops or on the other end of the spectrum...the Lonely planet also recommends several. We bought at Lambert Industries In the Luxe and they were excellent appraised for 3 times as much at home, though was hard to find.

Keep in mind that our tour guide told us that anyone who brings you to a tourist shop...jewelry, silk etc is getting 35% of what you spend..usually 25% to the travel agency and 10% to the guide (common throughout Asia).....This means you should break out on your own and save yourself at least 35%!!!!!

Best night market is no longer Pat Pong but Suan Lum and it is major and makes Pat Pong look sickly and touristy...though Suan Lum has lost it's lease and will close in 1-2 years. Pat pong however is located by all the girly bars so you if want to see the "business" that Bangkok is famous for...this serves dual purpose. Suan Lum has far better quality items and it is more pleasant with less people shouting at you to buy buy buy......We bought artwork, Home decorations and a crazy Rabit picture at some wild artists shop.

You must go for drinks atop of the state tower....This is fantastic...though men must wear long pants and no sandels...I was turned away once....The bar hangs over Bangkok on the 63rd floor and while I suggest you look at the bar which overhangs....you should have drinks on the outdoor couches on the other side which is more tame and a bit sublime.

Three great casual Thai restaurants are: All near your hotel.

Harmonique (your hotel will know)

Tongue Thai'd (behind oriental hotel)

Taling Pling (soi Pan)

These are newish and great food. Dinner for 4 with drinks will cost you about $40.

Buffet at the Peninsula is famous and great, though not great for Thai food. $50 per person...no drinks.

If you need more info, Tailors for woman vs men etc, just send me an email and I will come back to you.

Enjoy Bangkok. It is the city of Angels! Travel safe.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like quite an adventure to visit Thailand. Our son has lived in Bangkok for several years now and always tells us how beautiful and interesting the country is. When is the best time of the year to visit? He has said that Jan and Feb are good weatherwise.

I've checked out cruises and wondered if that would allow enough time in Bangkok and the surrounding area. Now I can see from your comments that we could easily just focus on a trip to just Thailand. Perhaps do that seperate from an Asian cruise. Our son also lived in Penang, Malaysia and says that's a very nice resort area, along with Phuket. Plenty to do in Thailand and Malaysia for an incredible vacation.

• 3 weeks later...
Fran,

I would be interested in the name and contact information of you Bangkok guide. We will be there November 11-13 at the end of our cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Thanks.

Just e-mail me (jrkfrkataoldotcom) and I will be glad to forward it!

Fran

Archived