Do taxi's accept Aussie dollars?

Hi all,

We are considering hiring a taxi in Vila to see some sights, as recommended on another thread due to lower costs. Do taxi's accept Aussie dollars in Vila?Do you make your agreed price in Aussie dollars?

Cheers!

For the shuttles between the Wharf and the centre of Vila - they will ONLY take Australian dollars - $2 aussie dollars per passenger. We tried to pay with Vatu to get rid of the last of our money, but the driver told us they weren't allowed, it had to be Aussie dollars. I think it's a special arrangement they have to make sure that passengers don't get ripped off.

I don't know about the currency situation when hiring them for tours etc, but I guess the same would apply. It would be a good idea to try and get an agreed price before you head off.

Kym

two bucksin thier crappy mitsubishi vans or 10 dollars for a taxi to town from ship. dont expect luxury you might get lucky and get a hyundai most likely a datsun 120 y completely rusted out dont worry its part of the experience. negotiate for trips to waterfall

two bucksin thier crappy mitsubishi vans or 10 dollars for a taxi to town from ship. dont expect luxury you might get lucky and get a hyundai most likely a datsun 120 y completely rusted out dont worry its part of the experience. negotiate for trips to waterfall

It's certainly an experience!

It was weird to ride in what is normally the drivers seat, be driving on the wrong side of the road, and driving with what appeared to be total disregard for all road rules (if indeed there are any) - but it's all part of the Vila experience.

Because, in the days of governance by both the English and French, the French were the first to bring cars to Vila, left hand drive, as is the standard in France, was adopted for all cars and roads in Vila, hence everythng being in the opposite side!

Thanks to all for your advice/comments. We know not to expect anything flash and yes, we are considering spending time at the falls.

We have survived the 'experience' of Roman road users, so expect it couldn't possibly be any worse!:eek: .....mind you, we were young, carefree and fearless then....

Cheers

You may find it handy to take a cushion with you when riding in Villa taxis.

But it is lots of fun.

If you are driving out of town, they know how to miss the potholes as the locals put pile of rocks on the side of the road before the pothole, so the driver knows to slow down.

You absolutley MUST do the taxi ride. Forget the vans, take a wee car taxi. It is a real experience and is so much white knuckle fun. We saw one nose to tail (both taxis) on the way back to the ship one day. The trip to the waterfall would be a good one to take.

You absolutley MUST do the taxi ride. Forget the vans, take a wee car taxi. It is a real experience and is so much white knuckle fun. We saw one nose to tail (both taxis) on the way back to the ship one day. The trip to the waterfall would be a good one to take.

Ok, will consider, just one small question.....does anyone ever get hurt?

Rockie your reply had me laughing,as one time I took a "taxi" and the back had a stack of cardboard on the seats and it stunk of cat "wee" I had a suspicion the guy slept in the car!!!!

Archived