Compare Cruise food to chain/national restaurants??

sharecruises

Hi there..

I thought it might be helpful and fun if people could "compare" their cruise experiences to land based dining..

ie, was the buffet on your ship like golden corral or like a fairly good chinese buffet/smorgasboard or ??

was the steak like sizzler, like tgifridays, like outback or like ruth chris??

was italian food like dominos, olive garden, carrabellas or ???

fill in the blanks LOL>>> I think it would be helpful to hear how the food compares to say a local deli, chain restaurants, and/or whatever...??

hope this makes sense (*thanks in advance)

It's really hard to compare.;) First, the buffet is like any other buffet at a land-based buffet restaurant. No better, no worse - a fairly good variety with carving station. Ho Hum.

Dining room... It would vary by the individual's taste. Ruth's Chris has, I think, better quality beef for the filet mignon. However, the Beef Wellington can't be beat, IMO. Seafood entrees are excellent, as well as quail, lamb, and duckling entrees. I can't think of a chain that offers these.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Retired chef here, so it's not easy to make comparisons. There are basically no chain restaurants that I think are great.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest garden4cook

ummmm, the Olive Garden is NOT Italian...and it is an insult to true Italian food to relate the name Olive Garden to Italian food. FYI: Olive Garden is actually American food...owned by Heinz and everything is made out of cans. It is the poorest excuse for Italian food...actually i tried to be nice

I think overall ships' food is good, not great. However, there are a few memorable outstanding meals or courses. We cruised 5 times on Millennium class Celebrity ships. On "filet night" in the main dining rooms, the filets were among the best I've had - very tender and flavorful, and cooked to my preference. Also in the Specialty restaurants on Celebrity they have a goat cheese souffle that is magnificent. And finally, cruising has given me a whole new appreciation for soup. They have a greater variety than any restaurant. The favorites that come to mind are a chilled orange (again on X) and a chilled curry several years ago on NCL - and I usually want my soups hot! Those were terrific. I've never had a lobster bisque on a ship that was above average.

Enough of that - time for breakfast!

Archived