Dzul Ha beach club open yet?

maddrummerboy

How was the snorkeling when you were there in December? I realize it's nothing like it was, but is it worth going there just to snorkel? Can you make reccommendations for other shore snorkeling areas? Thanks!

How was the snorkeling when you were there in December? I realize it's nothing like it was, but is it worth going there just to snorkel? Can you make reccommendations for other shore snorkeling areas? Thanks!
Nope, I didn't snorkel there in December because personally, I just don't like snorkeling. I'd much rather dive. I did do a shallow, near shore dive in front of our hotel, Caribe Blu, and it was pretty barren. From what my dive operator friend said, it was a pretty good dive before wilma. She was pretty sad about what it looked like after the hurricane. As for Dzul Ha, I can only imagine that it took a beating as well and that most of the stationary life forms were washed away. Some stuff will grow back fairly quickly to fill the void, and there will still be fish to see, but it won't be nearly as good as it was pre-wilma. You'll want to adjust your expectations accordingly. You'll want to go on a boat snorkeling trip to see the better sites and the farther south you go, the better. Both PB and Playa Palancar offer snorkel trips from their places.

As Bruce so well stated, many of the shallow coral heads were damaged by Wilma and the Best snorkeling is at the deeper reefs accessible by boat . That said , Dzul Ha had plenty to see and can only get better with time.

The absolute experience is to dive, but not everyone can so snorkeling will have to do. When you have a chance to try diving....take it!!!

I agree, I was at Dzul Ha snorkeling just last week. There was plenty of sealife and it was still beautiful, but true there's not as much coral as before.

You should consider a snorkel boat tour if you really want to see reef, here are a few options:

- Famous Fury Cozumel snorkeling tour.

- Paradise Beach snorkel in Cozumel by catamaran from the beach.

- Palancar Beach - also offers boat tours from their beach.

- For a comprehensive list of tours, check Cozumel Insider too.

Hope that helps - happy snorkeling!

Ian

Archived