Getting bumped on the Freedom

Be aware, the cabin I have booked for my husband and kids on the Freedom, has been bumped to 7 decks below. When I purposely booked in the year 2005 (when you could first make your reservations for the Freedom). This room is very close to our room. Isn't that a kick in the butt since we paid our final balance as of 6 days ago. I have printed confirmations with this cabin along with my name on it and it just gets taken away with no phone call or explanation. I called and the reservationsist from RC could not help me he put me to customer services. Since its after 10pm they said he could not find the answer for me now, that he will call me back tomorrow afternoon. I won't be able to sleep tonight thats for sure. EVERYONE KEEP CHECKING YOUR RESERVATIONS - YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!

There has been posts about this happening to others as well. I think in their situation the cabins couldn't hold the three of them. I believe they had a cabin on the hump.

The same thing happened to us...I called after reading another thread and sure enough, my 3 sons cabin was moved to Deck 10..and we are on Deck 8. My sons are older but under 21 so this is not even compliant w/ RCCL's guidelines. I had this also booked since June 2005 and am appalled that they would do this w/out even consulting w/ us first. The woman told me that they noted that they contacted us but that is not true...no email or msgs. The changes were made on 4/27. I finally got her to find another room on Deck 8 to put my boys...it is not directly across but 7 cabins down. As I said, my boys are much older but it shouldn't matter. I am more upset that no one bothered to call and inform us...just make changes and we are to find out on boarding day? Not very good cust svc when we are paying so much for a cruise!!

When I booked with RC i told them i wanted a cabin on the back and an inside cabin so my kids will be close to us. They are under18. Tiby the RC TA told me these two rooms would be available and the inside cabin holds up to 4. I said book it and i sent in my deposit. I have two confirmations printed out that was sent to me via email. It was issued February 2006.

Thank you Carol, you very kind. I called George and I got his voice mail. He is probably ready to end his shift since its almost 12am. Hopefully I will here from him tomorrow if not tonight.

Thank you

I booked over the phone and spoke to a "LIVE" person. We had a confirmation in writing of two room numbers since June 2005! When I paid in full on April 9th, the room numbers were still in place so everything was confirmed. I found out about the switch of my sons' cabin 2 days ago by mistake. They said the change was made on April 27....w/out any communication to us! RCCL should compensate in some way for this mess up! Free ice-cream or something...geez!

HXviller and Tezbear.......Just a bit curious......... when you booked these cabins was it with a guarantee or did you select specific cabin category?

No guarantee here. Booked specific cabin to be next to my parents and sister and in my favorite location of the ship, the hump. But we were moved from 9340 mid hump to 9526 which is 4th balcony from the front :eek: If you have 3 or 4 in the mid hump D1's you will be moved. Other cabins my TA checked were 9606, 9612 & 9614. All show they will hold 4 but they only hold 2.

Waiting to see where we will end up and just hope it's not where they put us.

Worst part is they are not telling people, you have to figure it out on your own :mad:

BonVoyage

Dawna

CruisinDawn. . . I, like you, would not be a very happy camper! And we know that Hxviller and Tezbear aren't happy either! All of the displaced posters. . . Please come back and tell us how this unfortunate event turns out for you. I hope that all three of you end up where you want (and paid for) to be.

What kills me about posts like these is that I specifically called to have CS note in my mariner aft balcony reservation NOT to move me for any reason. I was told by CS rep that they "never move anyone without first checking with the customer"

What a load of HOOEY!

I still have my aft balcony for the mariner (yes, I check it almost daily). And I plan on raising HOLY HELL at the terminal if I get there and find out I have been moved (to anywhere else, other than the owners suite!)

Even an upgrade to a random JS would not work as I am really going for an "aft experience".

What kills me about posts like these is that I specifically called to have CS note in my mariner aft balcony reservation NOT to move me for any reason. I was told by CS rep that they "never move anyone without first checking with the customer"

What a load of HOOEY!

I still have my aft balcony for the mariner (yes, I check it almost daily). And I plan on raising HOLY HELL at the terminal if I get there and find out I have been moved (to anywhere else, other than the owners suite!)

Even an upgrade to a random JS would not work as I am really going for an "aft experience".

After reading this thread I had to go and check on my aft cabin, which we specifically chose. So far so good. I really don't expect them to switch us but if they did at the last second, what could you really do. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere. Short of starting a riot and getting arrested....... what can you do?

What a load of HOOEY!

It looks to me why these folks are being moved is because someone at rci messed up the deckplans and said cabins could hold three when they really couldn't. And I think the problem is on the Freedom, so far no one from any other ship has complained of being moved without their permission. Since this was an accomadation problem and not that they booked two seperate sets of people to each cabin, I don't think rci is obligated to call. It would be the proper thing to do, yes, but don't think rci would do that! Hopefully everyone can get everything worked out!!!!

Were still in limbo here. They moved us and our TA assures us they are still working on getting us moved again but according to Royal there is NO balcony to move us to, up or down in category. I offered to change categories to either a higher category or a lower category as long as they could give us the rate those cabins were booking at when we originally booked, that is beyond fair as far as I am concerned. Js we would eat about $800 but if it's a better location it might be worth it. Now at current rates an inside is about $100 less then what we paid for a D1 balcony :eek: Like to tell ya the exact amount but I can't even access our entire cruise now.

Hopefully they are working on it!! I booked this cruise 1 1/2 years out because I wanted to be in a certain area of the ship, not something you might get in a guarantee. No offense to those that like the front of the ship but that is not our personal choice.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Be aware, the cabin I have booked for my husband and kids on the Freedom, has been bumped to 7 decks below. When I purposely booked in the year 2005 (when you could first make your reservations for the Freedom). This room is very close to our room. Isn't that a kick in the butt since we paid our final balance as of 6 days ago. I have printed confirmations with this cabin along with my name on it and it just gets taken away with no phone call or explanation. I called and the reservationsist from RC could not help me he put me to customer services. Since its after 10pm they said he could not find the answer for me now, that he will call me back tomorrow afternoon. I won't be able to sleep tonight thats for sure. EVERYONE KEEP CHECKING YOUR RESERVATIONS - YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!

I would be so mad.. I can hardly believe they can just change your cabin without notifying you first.. so sorry to hear this!

It looks to me why these folks are being moved is because someone at rci messed up the deckplans and said cabins could hold three when they really couldn't. And I think the problem is on the Freedom, so far no one from any other ship has complained of being moved without their permission. Since this was an accomadation problem and not that they booked two seperate sets of people to each cabin, I don't think rci is obligated to call. It would be the proper thing to do, yes, but don't think rci would do that! Hopefully everyone can get everything worked out!!!!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree w/ this. I think RCI is totally obligated to call each customer and notify them of the change. It is good customer service and common courtesy. Especially for the people whose kids were moved to different decks. In doing this, RCI is also contradicting their policy where the kids have to be near the parents if in a room alone. I think RCI was already inconvenienced w/ the error and having to rearrange people that to have to call people and rearrange even more if the customer didn't want that room, would be more hassle for them. Well too bad, it is one of the pitfalls of their job. YOu don't cancel someone's surgery date or doctor's appt w/out consulting w/ them first? We paid a lot of money for this cruise and deserve better communication. Would they rather have irate people at checkin which is when some may find out about the room change! Like I said before, I'm not as upset about the change but more about the lack of communication to all involved.

We got lucky though...when I called the other night (after seeing the change online) they got my kids back on our Deck and only 7 cabins down from us. My kids are older and I'm fine w/ that I just don't know why they didn't put them there in the first place. I'm still leary though because their room online shows sleeps 2 but the person said 3 was ok...now I don't trust them.

When is your cruise? Figure out what you want or what would be acceptable to you, and let them know. RCCL contacted me about moving from my corner aft cabin because someone wanted it. I didn't want to move but the other TA was persistent. I finally told them what I would be willing to move for and was able to work it out. I know your situation is a little different since they didn't contact you first (which they should have done since the error was on their end not yours), but I think you are more likely to get what you want if you state it up front. Unfortunately, if your cruise date is soon, you may not have too many options since I'm sure the Freedom is booked pretty solid. I hope it is able to be worked out to your satisfaction!

I must have missed the follow up to this...I was following the original thread about a group wanted your cabin....where are you at now with that deal?

I had the same problem with Canival last year. Had two cabins of clients "upgraded" to oceanveiw. They wanted to be inside across from family. I dealt with it for over a week. I was told it was because of the coast guard. We finally had to book another cabin, Carnival gave us a discount as we had no requested a upgrade. Hope you get yours solved.

Cruise77

I certainly sympathize with all you have gone through. And I know this won't help you with this particular problem, but may I make a suggestion?

Get a good travel agent. They are much better at running interference. The one we use is fantastic, and I know that she has contacts in the company who can get things done. I will never book directly with the cruise line again.

Carol, George sounds like he really can't do too much more for me. I'm curious why do you think he can help me? I called up today and pretended I was looking to book the same room the kids got bumped from and she told me it was booked and it does hold 3 to 4 people. Here we were bumped for the reason that it does not hold 3/4 only 2. Who should I believe. Then I priced the cabin D2 vs E1 and the D1 is $270 less than the E1. I'm thinking I'm getting a free upgrade.
How many are you trying to fit into the cabin? 3 or 4? Not all "more than 2" cabins hold 4.

The reason that I recommend calling George is that he is a straight-shooter. He's not going to BS you or lie to you or feed you a line. And he knows the cruise business. He's not just an order-taker on the phone. We all sometimes wonder if any of these guys have ever set foot on a cruise ship. George has. He can't necessarily change everything, if it is already totally messed up. You and I don't really know what happened to your reservations, but the important thing for you right now is to settle on the cabins that you can now be happy with. For your peace of mind, you probably want to find out the truth about the cabin they dumped you out of, and how many passengers it can actually accommodate.

I am more than a little surprised that a D1 is being quoted at a lower price than an E1.

Which sailing is this?

If it turns out that your original cabin DOES hold the number of passengers you originally booked into it, then I think that you should raise holy hell until they get you a BETTER cabin. I guess that I mean TWO better cabins, together.

Archived