Getting bumped on the Freedom

IMHO this is where a "good" TA is invaluable. I know that if this were my situation then my TA would be all over RCI to get it straightened out. When you book directly with the cruise line you are at their mercy with no one to go to bat for you.

Hey Carol,

Our sailing is July 16th. Just to be curious I called again today to see if I could book this cabin, which was obviously booked with someone else. Again I asked how many people does it hold and the gal told me up to 4. I said are you sure and she said thats what it says. So I called and asked for a supervisor in customer service. I spoke to someone that had more compassion about the situation. She said that RC does not operate this way. There was no excuse for RC changing the cabin without telling me first. I told her that I called twice inquiring about that cabin and 2 different reservationists told me the same thing. (it holds up to 4) She promised that this room does not hold more than 2. That she was going to contact all reservationists to warn them about the situation. I feel sorry for the people that find out when they get their information in the mail or when the get on the ship. What a mess. She was going to try and help make me feel better about the situation on Mon. evening. I'll let you know what happens. I was so high on the anticipation of this, the fun part of the vacation -- getting ready viewing the pictures, then this happens, what a blow to the anticipation.

Thanks for your imput,

Wendy Hxviller@verizon.net

How many are you trying to fit into the cabin? 3 or 4? Not all "more than 2" cabins hold 4.

The reason that I recommend calling George is that he is a straight-shooter. He's not going to BS you or lie to you or feed you a line. And he knows the cruise business. He's not just an order-taker on the phone. We all sometimes wonder if any of these guys have ever set foot on a cruise ship. George has. He can't necessarily change everything, if it is already totally messed up. You and I don't really know what happened to your reservations, but the important thing for you right now is to settle on the cabins that you can now be happy with. For your peace of mind, you probably want to find out the truth about the cabin they dumped you out of, and how many passengers it can actually accommodate.

I am more than a little surprised that a D1 is being quoted at a lower price than an E1.

Which sailing is this?

If it turns out that your original cabin DOES hold the number of passengers you originally booked into it, then I think that you should raise holy hell until they get you a BETTER cabin. I guess that I mean TWO better cabins, together.

I just called RCCL again to speak to a supervisor and confirm that our NEW cabin location for my sons was indeed going to fit 3-4 people. This time they seemed to know of the problem as she mentioned that they had to move several people. She blamed it on the fact that most of us had booked almost a year ago before the ships plans were configured and finalized. (not sure if she was trying to pass blame back to us or not). Well if that is the case then why did they assign room numbers and allow us to book that far out? I told her I understand things happen but I'm more annoyed with no one bothering to communicate the change to us. She agreed and apologized. It would be nice to give us all a little onboard credit or FREE ice cream for the week! (just a suggestion for good customer svc).

I may have missed this, but what room did you originally book?

Well my sons' room was originally in 8387. We needed for 3 people and now they are saying this room only will hold 2.

I'd be tempted to "hang out" by that cabin in question once on board----> "hey...just curious...how many people does your cabin hold?" or something like that....you'd probably defecate if they told ya ...."oh ya....all 4 of us fit comfortably in there...."

I'd be tempted to "hang out" by that cabin in question once on board----> "hey...just curious...how many people does your cabin hold?" or something like that....you'd probably defecate if they told ya ...."oh ya....all 4 of us fit comfortably in there...."

LOL...I was thinking the same thing! Starting to wonder if someone (more important) needed these rooms so we are being bumped!

LOL...I was thinking the same thing! Starting to wonder if someone (more important) needed these rooms so we are being bumped! Actually it will be easy to see who is in this room because OUR room is directly across from it...the whole reason our boys were in that one! If this is the case, RCCL WILL get an earful while we are onboard!

Good luck to all of you who have been bumped and moved around.

I would continue to call and pester until you get what you want. I would be fighting mad and agree that RCCL should have contacted you and then while you are on the phone with them do everything possible to accomodate you!

Could they not give you 2 adjoining cabins somewhere (at this point even lower or higher category) and then offer you a shipboard credit.....or have they even offered you a refund to allow you to book another date in the cabins of your choosing?

Keep us posted with how this is resolved!

LOL...I was thinking the same thing! Starting to wonder if someone (more important) needed these rooms so we are being bumped! Actually it will be easy to see who is in this room because OUR room is directly across from it...the whole reason our boys were in that one! If this is the case, RCCL WILL get an earful while we are onboard!

Thats interesting - right across from you. When are you going again? I was thinking about knocking on some cabin doors too!!! I'm still in limbo. I spoke with customer service and she assured me that room only holds 2. I asked then why are your reservationist still telling new bookings that its available for 4. She said there was going to be a bulletin sent out to all the travel agents. We booked the L cabin for 3 people. I'm sorry but free ice cream is not going to do it for me, you already get that on the ship. After booking from day 1 and paying the money for a family of 5 and having my hopes up thats not good enough for me.

Oh, I agree. If RC booked you incorrectly, then RC has to make you whole again. They may be limited in their options - they may have sold the entire ship already, or close to it. Chances are, however, that there are twosomes booked into cabins that hold three or four, and we know that they reserve the right to switch your cabin in that situation, and they may well have to look at displacing someone else.

I must have missed the follow up to this...I was following the original thread about a group wanted your cabin....where are you at now with that deal?

I had intended to post to the original thread when it was a completely done deal (I had thought it would have been so by now). I'll go ahead and post an update with the details to that thread though. In a nutshell, I was able to choose between a GS or them paying for the balance of the cruise and a $400 onboard credit. I chose the latter although we are still jumping through a few hoops.:rolleyes:

Here is the original thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=305380

Hello,

I became concerned after reading this thread and I have called several different people at revenue, reservations and customer service at RC. No one is aware or at least is admitting that this is happening to people. As an agent I am concerned because all my clients who booked on Freedom have booked triples or quads (Category D1). They are telling me everything is fine with my bookings but I sure would hate to have a customer call me irate because they had been bumped from their anticipated cabin. Please keep me posted. As an agent I find the posts in here very informative. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and if I get any new word from RC I will be happy to post it for you all.

Hello,

I became concerned after reading this thread and I have called several different people at revenue, reservations and customer service at RC. No one is aware or at least is admitting that this is happening to people. As an agent I am concerned because all my clients who booked on Freedom have booked triples or quads (Category D1). They are telling me everything is fine with my bookings but I sure would hate to have a customer call me irate because they had been bumped from their anticipated cabin. Please keep me posted. As an agent I find the posts in here very informative. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and if I get any new word from RC I will be happy to post it for you all.

Have you checked you clients bookings? Are still in the cabins you booked them into?

I have been a member of these boards for a while, but this is my first post. I wanted to let everyone know that I am also being bumped from my cabin on Freedom for April 2007. I booked stateroom 9340 (a center on the hump) clear back in June of 2005. After reading this thread, I checked my reservation online. Well, it happened to me too! I have been moved to 7214 the first cabin all the way forward, and it is a connecting cabin which I am not that happy about. I am on hold with the RCCL resolution dept right now to see if they can help me. Be aware, check your reservations if a bump like this would concern you. Thank you all for posting about this problem. Your experiences are always very helpful.

I have been a member of these boards for a while, but this is my first post. I wanted to let everyone know that I am also being bumped from my cabin on Freedom for April 2007. I booked stateroom 9340 (a center on the hump) clear back in June of 2005. After reading this thread, I checked my reservation online. Well, it happened to me too! I have been moved to 7214 the first cabin all the way forward, and it is a connecting cabin which I am not that happy about. I am on hold with the RCCL resolution dept right now to see if they can help me. Be aware, check your reservations if a bump like this would concern you. Thank you all for posting about this problem. Your experiences are always very helpful.

Wow, finally some one else getting kicked out of my cabin too :( I am in limbo too and wishing I didn't have a TA. They say no one will talk with them about it any more, bookings are closed and until they open up no one can do anything. The entire sailing is closed now. We went from center hump to 4th balcony from the front. We booked March 3rd, 2005. Thank you so much for posting. The real kick in the head was when I called this weekend and spoke to Bonita in reservations she told me that that cabin sleeps 6, yes 6!! No D1 sleeps 6 that I know of. I joked with the TA in a email that I want to email Katy Coric and have her take a peak on Friday, hehe. My parents & sister occupy 2 other mid hump cabins but they only have two people but we have a little 12 year old going with us so got moved. They also said absolutely positively no roll away , only a crib is allowed. Wish my TA would fight for me. Have 2 more cruises on the books 2/07 & deposit on 4/08 and just went 2/06 but nothing!! Grr We were not notified, I happened to notice online 2 days after they made the change. Been a week and nothing but our new cabin number that we hate.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I spoke with a woman in the resolution dept this morning. She confirmed that there had been an error in the original deck plans for the Freedom and that many cabins would need to be moved. She said that the Freedom does not have any cabins on the hump that will hold more than 2 people, despite what the deck plans on the RCCL website still show. I am traveling with DH and 2 kids, so I need a cabin for 4. She also told me that the new cabin that I have been moved to is the only quad balcony in any category (higher or lower) left on the entire ship for that sailing. She assures me that the "inventory dept" is working on some additional "re-arranging" and she hopes to be able to relocate my family to a better cabin. She promised to call me back by Wednesday. I am so disappointed about this turn of events for my cruise. I was very excited about our original location. I will let you know what happens.

I spoke with a woman in the resolution dept this morning. She confirmed that there had been an error in the original deck plans for the Freedom and that many cabins would need to be moved. She said that the Freedom does not have any cabins on the hump that will hold more than 2 people, despite what the deck plans on the RCCL website still show. I am traveling with DH and 2 kids, so I need a cabin for 4. She also told me that the new cabin that I have been moved to is the only quad balcony in any category (higher or lower) left on the entire ship for that sailing. She assures me that the "inventory dept" is working on some additional "re-arranging" and she hopes to be able to relocate my family to a better cabin. She promised to call me back by Wednesday. I am so disappointed about this turn of events for my cruise. I was very excited about our original location. I will let you know what happens.

Least you get to speak with someone. I feel so trapped because I have a TA. Our sailing is sold out so just hope that as we get closer to final payment (7/7) maybe someone will change their minds and I can get moved.

I will be sure to keep everyone posted.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived