Grand Cayman Beaches?

Elmo31

Seven Mile Beach is going to be THE suggestion. It is pretty close and easy to get to. Sea Grape or Courtyard beach would be my choice on Seven Mile Beach. We went to both when we were there last year. Have a taxi bring you there (either one as they are located right next to each other). The cost will be $4 per person (I have heard mixed reports that it may be $5 per person now). You can rent chairs for $10 each, umbrella $5, there is food, drink, restroom, outdoor shower, water sport rentals (jet ski, kayak, water skiing, snorkel, etc.) and a taxi stand with plenty of taxis waiting to take you back into town.

I'm with TheWog...I'd hop a cab to Sea Grape. We didn't go there, but we drove past it many times (while we were there for a week). It looked really nice (from what we saw). There were also cabs waiting no matter what time we went by. If I were to ever go to GC on a cruise again, I'd either rent a car and head off to the East End, or take a cab to Sea Grape.

Agree! SeaGrape is very nice and make sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship. On my last visit to SeaGrape there were 5 ships in port and the return took 35 minutes.

Last time i visited Grand Cayman -- I bored a taxi that charged a couple bucks to take us to 7 Mile Beach -- the place we ended up at was not what we keep hearing from alot of people on the board...

If you see below -- a picture of me and my awesome gf... we were barely 10 feet in and the water was deep and not clear (not to mention all the rocks)... was i scammed and taken to a bad portion of the beach ? is this normal ?

DSC06784.jpg

DSC06782.jpg

That's not Sea Grape. It's too close to the cruise ships. I'd say it's around Royal Palms (I think that's the name), but I could be wrong.

As for the clarity of the water...it depends on what's been going on weather wise. We stayed there for a week, and many days the water was crystal clear, but a storm blew in and for about 3 days the water was pretty cloudy. We stayed at a condo, and there was a drop-off right as you entered the water. There were some rocks (but I always wore my water shoes while in the ocean).

Just came back yesterday from our cruise on the Carnival Miracle. After the stingrays we had them drop us at Sea Grape Beach. I can't say enough good things about that place. It was fantastic and would recommend it to anyone. The water was amazingly clear and calm. We also saw many fish while snorkeling right off the beach. Chairs and umbrellas are for rent or you can just throw some towels down like we did. There is plenty of room. Cab ride back was $4 and our driver took sort of a back way and got there pretty quick.

Sea Grape is the hottest beach on the island! Way more sand and more beach front than anything else. Very nice clean sand and very comfortable chairs. A great little bar and grill with fantastic mud slides and chicken quesadillas! Very few, if any rocks! Can't say enough good things about it! It's a real treasure of a beach!

I'll go along with Red Dog! Sea Grape Beach is really nice! An easy 12 minute ride from the pier, but a little further north of the "other" beaches, where you are looked down on by hotels!

Great stretch of sand, right next to a public beach that is never crowded during the days, when ships are in.

Nice little bar and grill too! Enjoy!

Oh.... forgot to say, it's about the same cost whether you book it on the ship or try to find a taxi once you get there! I'd go for the Beach Break w/ transport on the ship! Way less hassle! If you go it alone, it's $5 each way for the taxi and $10 for a chair at Sea Grape Beach, but it includes a cold drink! So, you decide! But there are many people looking for taxi's from teh pier and with the pre-booked pkg, you have a bus waiting for you!

We went to Sea Grape last September. And while it was beautiful, the waves got so rough, I couldn't get in the water. I did once and got knocked down very hard trying to get out. Maybe it was high tide or something. It was around 1:00 p.m. Is it always this rough at Sea Grape?

I remember a previous cruise where we entered at public beach and the water was very calm and beautiful...no restrooms available though.

Must have just been a freaky thing that day you were there. We have been several times and the water ws very calm. Here is a couple pics I took a few weeks ago while there.

2144366230063951613SWTJMr_ph.jpg

2704381920063951613LMgfEF_ph.jpg

We went to Sea Grape last September. And while it was beautiful, the waves got so rough, I couldn't get in the water. I did once and got knocked down very hard trying to get out. Maybe it was high tide or something. It was around 1:00 p.m. Is it always this rough at Sea Grape?

I remember a previous cruise where we entered at public beach and the water was very calm and beautiful...no restrooms available though.

There must have been a storm that blew through. We were there for a week (in January), and on a Friday, a storm blew in. The waves were lapping across the road in George Town, and the surf by our condo was clear up to the concrete area where the pool is located. Even on Monday, the waves were still pretty high (even though the sky was clear as could be), but by Tuesday, it was as calm as could be.

Can anyone help me?:D We are cruising on the Mariner on 7/30 and I was reading everyone's suggestion to go to Sea Grape Beach. Is Sea Grape Beach located with Seven Mile Beach? Someone suggested we can take the Beach Break w/transportation from the cruiseline. I went onto the RCCL website and looked for this excursion and all I found was the beach break w/o transportation to Seven Mile Beach but it did include a drink and lounge chair. Please help.....:confused:

radtech :)

Sea Grape beach is at the far end of 7MB. You can take a cab there. I think it's $5 per person, each way. I do believe they charge for chairs at Sea Grape, but you could just toss your towel down on the sand. They also have water toys for rent, food, and restrooms.

The cab drivers don't like to drive to Sea Grape because they get paid a flat rate no matter where they go along the beach area, so if you do go the cab route, and want to go to Sea Grape, be insistant. Sea Grape is past the new Ritz, and across from the Marriott Courtyard.

I personally wouldn't buy the beach break from the cruiseline, especially if you have to figure out your own transportation. Grab a cab and head down there.

There's another place that's not quite as far and it's called Royal Palms. It has similar offerings.

Grand Cayman is a place that you can feel quite safe doing anything...from walking around, to grabbing a cab. It's like the Beverly Hills in the Caribbean.

Have a good time! :)

Last time we were in Grand Cayman, we rented a car and drove around the island. It is really beautiful. We ended up at Rum Point. It's a pretty beach with a long dock you can walk out on. There were hardly any poeple there. It's easy to drive around outside of the port area, it was very quiet on the roads. You do drive on the left though. We had a great day!

kitty

I too say go it on your own. Sea Grape is a strip of sand along Seven Mile Beach. Just tell the cabbie you want to go to Sea Grape. Make sure they bring you there. Chairs are $10 each and come with a soda/water as well. Umbrellas are $5. Cab costs $5 per person now each way and are waiting for you at the end of the day to bring you back.

Our ship, the Inspiration, will be in Grand Cayman from 7:00am to 2:00pm. Is the Island time going to be different? What time does Sea Grapes open? What time do the shops open? Last question, if we go to Sea Grapes, what time would we have to leave if our ship is departing at 2:00? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

You would want to be getting on the tenders back to your ship at the latest 1/2 hour prior to departure. I would leave Sea Grape about 12:20 - 12:45 or so to get to the pier. Granted the ride may only be about 10 mins, but I would hate to miss the ship. I don't know if there is an open time. It is a public beach so you can just walk up and grab some real estate there. The chair guy will come out probably 8ish to start offering you chairs and umbrellas.

Sorry I don't know what time the shops open up.

Archived