Where do you put your ID?

HollyfromSC

I am sure this is a really silly question, but I have to ask it. I am going on a cruise in November with a big group of us. One of the girls asked me where we put our stuff when we are going on excursions in the water--(snorkeling, cave tubing) etc. Do you use a water proof bag? Any advice? I honestly had no idea what to tell her--we are all pretty much new to cruising.

One more question---on the cruise website it states we need to use biodegradable suntan lotion when snorkeling. Does anyone really use this? Is it necessary? It is 3 times the price of normal suntan lotion. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Holly :)

I struggled with this same issue. I found a small (4x1x6") waterpoof box on a cord for under $10.00 at REI designed just for this purpose. I suspect any large sporting goods store would have the same. It had an "o" ring seal and was big enough for our cash and credit card, three ids, copies of our passports and my chapstick. I had no water leak problem. The place we rented our gear (Coki Beach) had the same thing for sale at about the same price.

As far as sunscreen, I don't know about the biodegradeable, but be sure you get at least 50. My family liked our first snorkling trip but not the sunburns on the back of our thighs the next day.

If you are on a tour, either by boat, bus or car, usually you can leave your 'stuff' on board--either the vehicle will be locked or some one will stay with it to guard possessions. We've never had a problem with this--a tour operator would soon be out of business if his client's belongings were regularly stolen or lost.

For things you actually need on the excursion, in the water, the waterproof bags/cases work well. For myself, I try not to load myself down with extras if I'm in the water. I sometimes take a waterproof disposable camera and that's it.

We just got back from our first cruise and I had the same concerns. We had no problems at all. Like the others said. On non-water excursions, the bus is always locked or the driver stays with it. We found our guides to be very protective of us, and they all tried very hard to be helpful. At the end of the cruise you will probably be asked to complete a satisfaction survey on your excursions. They all want those to be positive. On boat and beach excursions we kept money/credit cards in on of the little water proof plastic boxes, not much bigger than a stack of credit cards. It worked great. We did have to leave cameras on the beach while snorkling, but we had them in a bag and no one bothered it.

With regard to the sunscreen, some places like Xel Ha and Xcaret which are gated parks, actually check your bags coming in and take away any sunscreen that is not biodegradeble. They will give it back to you on the way out. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy your sunscreen before you go than to pay top dollar at the parks for the biodegradeble stuff.

I've heard from people here if you get a waterproof pouch and put your information in it and then put it in a waterproof fanny pack. This isn't for those of you who swim around a lot or do strenuous stuff in the water, but if you are only going in for a dip, then it could work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The best biodegradable sunscreen we've found is called Mexitan and they have it available on their website at www.mexitan.com. It's a chemical-free sunscreen that says "biodegradable" right on the label, so it's easily accepted. My husband normally breaks out in a rash when using regular chemical sunscreen, but this product is hypoallergenic and he has found it to be very effective and rash-free. I would recommend, though, to apply sunscreen frequently when snorkeling or swimming. They also have an all natural mosquito repellent that works really good and doesn't have chemicals or deet in it.

Archived