Trip Insurance

wentworth

Can anyone give advice on what type of trip insurance to choose. We have always gotten trip insurance thru our travel agent when booking our cruises and just taken what was offered. Just booked a cruise thru Carnival and on the spur of the moment I told the PVP that I wanted to get my own insurance. I looked up insuremytrip.com thinking I could just easily choose one. They have tooooo many options!!. Now I'm confused as to which one to go with. How much insurance should you have??? I know we want to cover cruise, airfare, luggage etc but what aboutthe medical evacuation.

Thanks for any help.

Joyce

Although we have no existing medical conditions at this time I always consider medical evacuation the biggest obstacle when I purchase insurance. I had a patient years ago who had a scooter accident in one of the islands and had to be evacuated. It cost a fortune!:eek: I guess basically you need to consider what is most important to you and purchase the policy that offers it!;)

Search around the posts, especially the "ask a cruise question" link. There are so many discussions. this time I went with Travel Guard. Got a very comprehensive plan and the kids were free!. I think the key is to cover the cost of the trip so there would be no money lost if you had to cancel, and to cover yourself medically. Like the other poster said, things can get very costly quickly and although we never think anything will happen to us, we know anything can happen to anyone. JMHO.

Missyal

So, would a policy having a $ 500,000 emergency med. evac coverage

and a $25,000 medical coverage be enough or would we need more?

Depends. The evac coverage should be more than enough. The medical portion would depend on what coverage you already have.

If your regular medical policy covers you during the trip then $25,000 of med coverage should cover any deductible or co-payment.

99% of travel illnesses/accidents are pretty minor -- a stitch here, an x-ray there, maybe a shot or something. In those cases again $25,000 will be plenty. But if you have a major heart attack and spend a week in intensive care $25,000 might not go far enough.

Check Statravel.com, it is a site for student travel but anyone can buy insurance, great policy and reasonable, 49$pp for up to 8 days, I have looked at insuremytrip and it is always much higher IMO, I think if you have a large family it might be more economical but with just the 2 of us statravel.com is our choice.

Sue

Archived