Cigars, Wine and Corkage Fee on NCL Dawn

My wife and I live in NYC and will be going on NCL Dawn in June. We reviewed the NCL Dawn website and noticed that the ship has both a wine bar and a cigar lounge - two of my favorite things. According to icruise.com they told me that we were allowed to bring our own wine on board the ship and that NCL charges a $10 per bottle corkage fee, which is very reasonable.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of this and if so, how did it go?

I am also planning on bring my own cigars on baord as well

Thanks,

Ben

My wife and I live in NYC and will be going on NCL Dawn in June. We reviewed the NCL Dawn website and noticed that the ship has both a wine bar and a cigar lounge - two of my favorite things. According to icruise.com they told me that we were allowed to bring our own wine on board the ship and that NCL charges a $10 per bottle corkage fee, which is very reasonable.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of this and if so, how did it go?

Thanks,

Ben

I believe the corkage fee for the bottles of wine is $15 per bottle. Just carry it on in your carry on luggage and they will put stickers on the bottles and give you a receipt. The wine goes with you and you can bring it to the dining rooms for dinner or drink it in your cabin.

Thanks,

Ben

Have had no problems at all with NCL regarding

cigars. They do sell them, but sometimes the crew

is not very knowledgable. That's all right by me, I

bring my own, too.

Over the time of our Panama Canal cruise last year on the

Pride of America, I got to meet some very nice people in the

cigar lounge, and learned a lot. For instance, while we buy

most of our cigars by mail order, I learned about JR,

and will be visiting them on our upcoming trip to

New Jersey (and another cruise, of course).

The only problem with the lounge was that the crew was

not very quick to put out ash trays (and clean them up), and

a number of cigarette smokers liked to use the cigar lounge,

too. Not very different on the Pride of Aloha.

We managed to have a good time regardless.

Bob (of bobnsandi)

Just out of curiosity.

I know they sell Cuban cigars in Bermuda and a friend of a friend asked me to pick him up a few. I know that they are not allowed in the US but does anyone know what would happen if a person were caught with them?

Oh, and I told him NO, lol!!!

The trading with the enemy act contains both criminal and civil fines. An American national may not legally buy Cuban cigars anywhere in the world. If they find them on you they will conficate them and fine you anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000 US. If you buy them do not charge them. They have gotten more strict about this under George Bush, the younger. If you are brining back a small amount(less than 5) the chances you will get caught are relatively small.

I've been on about 5 cruises and what I've seen done is people buy Cubans and ship them back to the states via FedEx or UPS. I knowpeople who have done this for years and never had aproblem. Anothger thing is if you take the cigar band off how wioll anyone know whether it is a Cuban or not? I never could understand that one

On our last cruise to Mexico, a few friends and I bought some Cubans in one of the ports. I smoked the 3 I bought onboard the ship in the cigar lounge before arriving back to the states, but one of my friends packed a handful of them in his luggage and sailed (no pun intended) through customs without any problem. I did attend the arrival home brief on the ship , and they warned everybody about not bringing any Cubans back to the states, and the penalties that could apply if you got caught.

I didn't want to take the chance, so I didn't bring any back, but the likelyhood of one getting caught is probably pretty minimal..

I've been on about 5 cruises and what I've seen done is people buy Cubans and ship them back to the states via FedEx or UPS. I knowpeople who have done this for years and never had aproblem. Anothger thing is if you take the cigar band off how wioll anyone know whether it is a Cuban or not? I never could understand that one

They won't know. That being said, some people like to "show" they are smoking "cuban cigars." I personally believe the cuban cigars are overrated and there are excellent Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars that are available and for less money. There are also a number of counterfit cubans for sale in the islands....be careful! Only go to a reputable cigar dealer and don't purchase from sidewalk vendors.

I always bring my own cigars with me.

Don

They won't know. That being said, some people like to "show" they are smoking "cuban cigars." I personally believe the cuban cigars are overrated and there are excellent Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars that are available and for less money. There are also a number of counterfit cubans for sale in the islands....be careful! Only go to a reputable cigar dealer and don't purchase from sidewalk vendors.

I always bring my own cigars with me.

Don

I second that motion. From what I read and some slight

personal experience, what you buy from a cruise

port seller is not Cuban at all. The counterfeits have

become very good, so that even the legit sellers are

getting fakes and don't know it.

You don't want the unhappy experience of buying

a $10 cigar, only to find out that it is a 50 cent cigar (or

worse) with a fake band, fake box, fake stamps, etc, etc.

I read a recent cigar magazine article that indicated that

most of the "cubans" sold in Cuba itself are fake, because

people will do anything for hard currency (I don't blame

them, really).

I recommend a search of CruiseCritic for some discussions

that have taken place in the past regarding cigars and

purchases made in cruise ports.

Archived