Passport validity is it 90 days or 6 months

pongo

<H1>

Hi can any one help just got my documents today Husbands passport is expired on 6th Sep 2006 is a new passport needed or like we were told is this Uk passport good to travel on 17th may on qm2 to new york we leave n.york on 27th may help please.Documents say 6 month please read below

thank you

Johanne

Details about the Visa Waiver Program

Most visitors to the United States enter the country as tourists. With the introduction of visa free travel to citizens of 27 countries, it is now possible for many travelers, including British citizens, to enter the United States without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program (WVP). Visa free travel is also available to qualified travelers who enter the United States on business or in transit.

Citizens of the following countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program if they meet ALL of the following requirements:

• The traveler is a citizen of one of the countries named above, traveling on a valid, individual machine readable passport. Note: A passport indicating that the bearer is a British Subject, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British National (Overseas) Citizen, or British Protected Person does not qualify for travel without a visa. A passport which states holder has Right of Abode or indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom does not qualify for visa free travel;

• Traveling for business, pleasure or transit only;

• Staying in the United States for 90 days or less;

Plus, if entering the United States by air or sea is,

</H1>

Passport Validity

If traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date on which the holder enters the United States. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport. Note: Passport holders from Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino must be in possession of a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, even if traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Cunard say "A valid passport is required and your passport must have at least six months validity after your date of return."

That is from one of the voyage books on the dining table - they came today - and so I'd assume that they are right.

If you are sailing from Southampton then Cunard may simply deny you permission to board.

For the sake of a new passport I'd renew now. You'll also escape the ID cards as well renewing this month.

Other than that check with Cunard. A new passport on a same day service is about £100. You would lose your entire holiday if you get it wrong - and insurance won't cover it. Sounds like a small price to pay.

Just got documents today and read 6 months .

But 4 weeks ago thought it was 6 months as that is the norm so got intouch with U.S.A visa department they told me 90 days so was a bit angry when got papers today!!!!!!

looks like a day out to amsterdam for new passport!!!!

as you say better to be safe than sorry

thanks

The USA may need 90 days. But Cunard need six months.

Both can be right - they are two separate entities.

Annoying, I understand. But ALWAYS better safe than sorry!

(Look at this way - better you find out now than at the terminal!)

The standard with all US based lines is 6 months left on passport.

I have never seen anything other than six months on anything. Land, sea or air.

Makes a mockery of a ten year passport, when it is nine and one half years only!

Makes a mockery of a ten year passport, when it is nine and one half years only!
This used to be the case but not anymore. Now, if there is less than six month remaining on a current (UK) passport, the new one will be valid for ten years from the expiry of the old one.

We've not long replaced ours and the new ones are valid for 10 years 5 months.

Regards, Colin.

P.S. There's probably a box to tick on the application form somewhere but my social secretary/business manager/handler deals with that sort of stuff so I can't give you any details.

Here is one time when it is definitely advantageous to have dual citizenship. If one passport is about to expire, I just use the other one.

Seriously, I always renew my passport (whether Canadian or American) at least one year before it expires.

Those with ten year passports are lucky. Canadians only get them for five years -- and we are the world's champion travellers. More of us per capita go abroad than any other nation on earth.

Archived