Post Cruise in Switzerland

We plan on going to Switzerland post-cruise for five days. We must start in Zurich and end in Zurich. We know nothing about the area and are hoping somebody here has spent some time there and has suggestions.

We have rented a car and are open to doing a driving tour of the country.

First of all I am very jelous. I have always wanted to do that land tour first and then the cruise but have always been limited on time. Yes, it looks like you are doing things right. First of all since you are renting the car out of Switzerland it should come with the proper paper work for driving the autovons of switerland. This just saved you 28 Euros. I am looking at your trip with two possiblities. One head for the swiss alps in the direction of Interlaken, Switzerland or Two head for the Black Forest of Southern Germany (three hours away). What you could do if the highway is clear of snow head to Interlaken by way of the higher passes. Then you could plan your trip back in the direction of Lucern, Basel and make your way to the area of Frieberg Germany at the base of the Black Forest. I really think that no matter what you do you will have a very nice trip. Note: Believe it or not gas in Germany is cheaper than Switzerland. Tim

Hi florida cruiser,

we have regular summer holidays in Switzerland - it is great. You must get as far as the Bernese Oberland - the centre of which is Interlaken. Drive up the valley from there to Lauterbrunnen park the car and take the railway to Wengen - amazing place. Car free that's why you park in the valley. Best hotel is Beausite Park where the owner is Mrs Lehmann. From Wengen you can travel on the mountain train to the Jungfrajoch which is just the best. Fantastic walking country. Interlaken is nice but not a patch on Wengen or Murren.

If I can help at all just email me, I'm as passionate about Switzerland as I am about my cruises!

cheers Teresa

Congratulations florida_cruiser on your Switzerland trip! This is truly one of my most favorite countries to visit. But my preference is to tour by rail. There are 4-day Swiss Passes that allow you unlimited rides on most trains, buses and some boats. I think the cost is about $300 per person for this type of pass. Public transportation is very easy and stations are convenient. With a train you can not only relax and enjoy the scenery, you can also go a lot farther than in a car.

We based ouselves in Zurich and did day trips to Lake Geneva, Lucerne and Interlaken. I guess this is a vote for public transportation. In any case, have a marvelous journey. :)

We based ouselves in Zurich and did day trips to Lake Geneva, Lucerne and Interlaken. I guess this is a vote for public transportation. In any case, have a marvelous journey. :)
We did something very similar by train pre-cruise a couple of years ago, and we enjoyed the trains.

We loved Switzerland and know you will too. Have a great time no matter what you decide.

Donna

florida_cruiser: I personally have not been to Switzerland but are looking into a 5-7 experience in the Berner Overland. In preparation I purchased the "Rick Steves Switzerland 2006" travel book. It has lots of great info and experiences from his travels in this beautiful country. I purchased it on Amazon for $12. When we go we will fly to Zurich and then use the rail system & lifts to go every place we want to see. I fell in love with the idea of visiting the Bernese Overland when I saw a Rick Steves travel program on his visit to this awe inspiring land. He emphazied a visit to Gimmewald wish is a little village on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley-just beautiful. Anyways we plan to visit Wengen, Murren, Gimmewald, Lauterbrunnen and the peaks of the Jungfrau & Schilthorn.

Teresa Price-I would like to have your email and get any further input you might have. thanks. my email is robert_acevedo8@hotmail.com

All very good ideas!!! I thank-you very much for your responses. We will be there next month so I don't believe we should have any worries with snow?

Any suggestions for a nice place to stay in Zurich by the airport. We haven't yet figured out if we are going to do day trips or not but we will definitely stay the night before we leave and the night that we arrive. We typically prefer nicer more extravagant accomodations (with air conditioning) and our travel agent has not really been any help at all.

We stayed at the Schweizerhof (http://www.hotelschweizerhof.com/) at the top of the Bahnhofstrasse across the street from the train station and loved it. The train from the airport to the city center was very convenient and easy. I know that doesn’t exactly meet your qualifications but just wanted to let you know that the service, décor, and location are wonderful for this hotel if you can't find something that you like near the airport.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived