Stavanger

I have been told by more than one person that the main attraction in this area is the view from Pulpit Rock.

But the ship doesn't offer that as an option!

The closest is a cruise down the Lysefjord, passing the rock.

Now I'm sure that will be lovely, and I'm quite keen to do it. But nagging in the back of my mind is concern that I may be missing out.

Two questions therefore:

(1) Is the view from the rock worth missing the cruise for?

(2) Is there any reasonable way to to the trip to Pulpit rock independently?

Many thanks.

I did the Lysefjord cruise last June. We tied up at a dock to have Norwegian crepes (this was on Saga so the "crowd" was miniscule), then nosed in under Pulpit Rock to get a bucket of the most divine water which was then doled out to us.

Pulpit Rock is basically unseen unless you're on top of it. It is what you see in your shore excursion guide - a promontory jutting out over the fjords. Although I enjoy geologic formations very much, I was not impressed.

The Lysefjord cruise was a quality cruise because we saw so much more than just Pulpit Rock which from below is mundane. I'd rather do the cruise than arrange to hike the rock and miss all the rest of the sights. That Lysefjord jaunt is a thorough cruise of that area and is a good warm-up, as it were, to the rest of a fjord itinerary.

I noticed you'll be in Longyearbyen - you will enjoy the town, the reindeer grazing at the Radisson Polar North Hotel, what seems like the world's largest and longest General Store - you're in for a treat. I know you've seen Norway before, but that is an area of the world that never gets stale.:)

Ruby

I know you've seen Norway before, but that is an area of the world that never gets stale.:)

Ruby

Ruby - never a truer word spoken!

You use that scarey word "hike" of the rock? It's a real hike then, is it?

I have tried to look in our books, but they're not much help......

The boat that takes you into Lysefjord will chug in and out of bays and ragged, increasingly tall fjord walls for almost an hour before you get to Pulpit Rock. I personally do not know what would be required to reach the promontory which looks down into the fjord.

Pulpit Rock is simply a small part of the long jagged cliffs that line the fjord. It is my opinion that the locals talk up the presence of Pulpit Rock to get the tourists interested.

I cannot talk to the required arrangements of hiring a private charter boat and guide to take you to a point which would enable you to scramble or hike to the top of the rock. It would take your entire time in Stavanger to accomplish that one point of interest. As you can see, I enjoyed the entire experience and would not want to limit my memory to the one rock. But you must make your own decision.

I'm excited about your voyage and I'm not even going! :)

Happy sails,

Ruby

Archived