Carry-on Bags

LeeLee

What does everyone use for their carryon bag? I have a rolling carry-on-a 21 inch piece that matches my luggage, but it's a pain if it's too heavy and you can't lift in the overhead bin on the plane. The last couple of cruises I've used

a backpack, which works pretty well, but could be a little bigger. Just curious what everyone uses and how it works for them Thanks.

Hiya LeeLee,

I use a "rolling backpack" for my carry on. I usually put my laptop, change of clothes and toiletries in it. It rolls, or you can use it like a backpack, although it gets a little heavy. I think I got it at office depot.

Regards,

Bobby

I was planning on bringing my 21inch rolling carry on also, but I also have a "duffle" sort of bag that fits perfectly underneath airplane seats.

Would I be better off trying to stuff all my carry on items in there?

For most travel, that is all I take but for a cruise I also have a 24" roll-aboard that I check. They can run out of bin space and then if your carry-on doesn't fit under the seat you may have to "gate check" it. So, you should have an underseat size carry-on for things like medicines and valuables that should not be checked. If you don't want to handle two carry-ons at the same time, it could be a soft duffle that you put in the bigger bag.

I'm not fond of the rolling back-packs because they usually seem give up too much capacity to have the structure for rolling plus the straps.

I use a (1) Rollaboard and (2) my purse if we have a First or Biz upgrade or a relatively forward seat *and* if I'm going to be gone a really short time and not taking any other luggage.

For a cruise, I use (1) the medium Vera Bradley duffle (2) and a shoulder tote with my purse tucked inside, and we check each check one Rollaboard and one larger rolling suitcase.

My husband carries his passport folio and a magazine, and that's about it, unless he's traveling on business and then he hauls on his Rollaboard and a computer case if he's up front somewhere, and cries boo-hoo and checks his Rollaboard if he's not.

When I was traveling with kids, I ONLY carried a backpack. I needed two free hands!

http://www.ebags.com/travelon/17_wheeled_cosmetic_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=9549

I carry this on for departure, for the return trip I check it. I got it for about half this price on sale more than a year ago. We usually need plenty of toiletries since we are a family of four. I also take a small gym bag that can go under my seat, it holds my small purse, magazines, travel documents, a bottle of water, etc...

Does anyone know if I can carry a bag with dimensions of 21 x 14 x 7 onto a Celebrity ship? I have a Rollaboard with those dimensions. I know Carnival had a limitation on size because all carry-ons had to go through a scanner(although I think those dimensions were ok with Carnival).

Thanks!

Natalie

Every ship I have ever been on uses the same type of machine that the airports use. If your case fits through the airline scanner, I'm sure it will fit through the ships' scanner. No worries, it sounds like yours is the typical size most people take onboard planes.

We're going to the Baltic 8/5 and the weather is forcing me to legitimately over-pack, he he.

I'm taking my small roll-on which does fit in the upper bin for toiletries and a large leather-like tote that hold purse, tix, books, etc. for under the seat.

It's going to be a long flight from Denver to London....

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Archived