Vancouver Info if needed

I am trying to find out if CDS will be open at the Cruiseport on May 2nd since the website states during season since we have a late flight. I wrote an email with Canada Place in the subject and told them the date in the message and they wrote back with the Airport info. Wrote back asking for Cruiseport info.. still no response in 2 days. I am located in California so I really don't want to have to call them. Do you know if they are open then? Worried that since they do not know how to respond to the email properly, that they may not be too professional. What do you know or think?

TIA

Anyone familiar with the Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver? We're staying there for a couple of nights before our cruise in May. We live in Seattle and have been to Vancouver many times, so we wanted somewhere nice that we hadn't been to before. It's pretty easy to just take a cab to the ship, so we weren't too worried about proximity that way.

I am trying to find out if CDS will be open at the Cruiseport on May 2nd since the website states during season since we have a late flight. I wrote an email with Canada Place in the subject and told them the date in the message and they wrote back with the Airport info. Wrote back asking for Cruiseport info.. still no response in 2 days. I am located in California so I really don't want to have to call them. Do you know if they are open then? Worried that since they do not know how to respond to the email properly, that they may not be too professional. What do you know or think?

TIA

May 2nd is kind of the begining of the season but with two ships in at Canada Place that date I would think that they would be open. Ordinarily I would be happy to phone and ask but right now I am in AZ and like you would prefer not to phone. However perhaps one of the other Vancouver posters will call and confirm for you.:)

Anyone familiar with the Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver? We're staying there for a couple of nights before our cruise in May. We live in Seattle and have been to Vancouver many times, so we wanted somewhere nice that we hadn't been to before. It's pretty easy to just take a cab to the ship, so we weren't too worried about proximity that way.

I have not stayed in the hotel but have been in a room there as well as the public areas. It is a great hotel in a super location. Probably one of 6 or so 5* hotels in the city. Close to everything; I am sure that you will love it.:D:D

1. Would you recommend Steamworks Transcontinental for dinner? What is the decor? It will be a winner for my husband if it is railroad themed.

2. Is the Chinatown Night Market interesting to go to?

Thanks!

Edited by pizzalady1

I got a response from CDS Baggage and they are open on May 2nd from 8AM to 4PM at the Cruiseport. They also provide luggage transfers to the airport for an additional fee.

Great information...I am happy that you got your answer...I was hedging on my answer as last year it seemed that they did not open early in the season.:)

An excellent hotel. Our company normally uses it for out of town visitors. The restaurant is quite expensive, but very good (and famous for the $30 burger which include fois gras)

As for taking a cab to the ship, if you're at Canada Place, it's a 3 blocks walk.

1. Would you recommend Steamworks Transcontinental for dinner? What is the decor? It will be a winner for my husband if it is railroad themed.

1. Yes. And/or Steamworks pub (1/2 block east)

2. Not nearly as interesting as the Richmond (nearer the airport) Night Market. Also, from downtown to Chinatown (8 blocks) passes through a not so nice part of town.

Thanks!

Steamworks Transcontinental is located in the historical Canadian Pacific Train Depot. The decor is upscale and not screaming railway but I am sure that you and your husband will enjoy it.

The Chinatown Night Market is interesting and worthy of a vist, but would not be my first choice. If you choose to go, I would suggest a cab or transit to it, transit will require a little bit of a walk and you may be just as well to walk in along Pender St. I would not recommend walking via Hastings or Cordova.

Shoppie,

Thanks so much for the offer. We will be ending our 12 day cruise tour in Vancouver and because of flight pricing will be staying 2 nights in Vancouver. I know nothing about the city other than it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities to visit so am excited to be there. We don't have a clue about hotels though or where the good areas are. We will have 2 adults and 2 big teenage boys so don't want to spend a fortune but need someplace decent to stay with air conditioning. We'll be there in July and DH needs his AC! Any good suggestions or website suggestions would be most appreciated!

Here's a link to our Tourism Vancouver website:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

As for AC - that may be a problem as not all the hotel will have it BUT then normally doesn't get that hot and especially muggy or humid here in Vancouver in the summer.

Vancouver is not a cheap city for hotels although not as bad as NYC but with the current economy there are bargains to be had.

Hope this help and will get you started - other locals will also ne posting there suggestions - I just got here first.

Cheers

Dennis

Have 2 days post cruise in Vancouver. Planning one day to go to Victoria for tour(Vancouver Tour Co.) and one day for site seeing around Vancouver including Stanley Park. Our B&B is a couple of blocks from the park (West End Guest House). Is this duable in time allocated? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, Ron and Lin:)

As for places to stay - one that comes to mind because it has suites is the Cascadia Inn and Suites on Hornby - it use to be the Marriott Residence Inn until a month ago - can't find the link that PD posted earlier but I am sure that as soon as he has finished his golf game he will be online and will repost it - will try and find it in the meanwhile.

Another site that is good for accommodation is Hello BC which is our provincial tourism web site - here's a link to the info on Vancouver:

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Vancouver.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Rindiar - one full day to see Stanley Park is fine - if your are visiting from mid-June to mid-September there is a free shuttle that has a large number of stops at the various attractions in the park.

Here's a link to their web site - they are still showing the 2008 dates but this service has been offered in the same time frame for a number of years.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

If you are eager you could rent a bike and bike around the the park - the Park is 1000 acres - larger than Central Park but most of the attractions are on the eastern side of the Park which is closest to the downtown core - you will also be able to see the cruise ships at Canada Place from the Park.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I have questions about the HOHO Trolley. We will be arriving on the train from Seattle and staying at the Westin Bayshore, stop 12. I thought we would take a taxi to the hotel, check in (or at least leave our luggage) and pick up the trolley at the hotel. We'll hop on and off several times between there and stop 1, gastown and eventually eat in thiat area. We'll get back to the hotel somehow. The next morning we'll use the hotel courtesy shuttle to meet the trolley again at stop 3, Canada Place, and finish the tour, ending up at our hotel. We'll pick up our luggage and have the hotel shuttle us to the port. Will this work reasonably well?

Is White Spot a sensible place for a quick breakfast? There's one right near the hotel.

White Spot is a local dining institution....been around since the 1920's. It is a great place for breakfast...good food....good prices....and literally across the street from the Westin. Mind you the parking lot is in front of the hotel so it is about a half block walk.

BTW sounds like yout tour plans are right on the money.

Enjoy Vancouver.

Edited by TCF

I just had an email (TravelZoo) that says the Pan Pacific is offering a rate of $116 US if you book 2 or more nights (stays through August). Wish I'd been able to take advantage of that one! Not sure how quickly you need to book to get the deal.

• 1 month later...

We are landing in Vancouver at 1 PM the day before our cruise. The hotel we are staying at is Sutton Place on Burrard St. With that location and such a limited amount of time available, what recommendations do you have for seeing at least some of Vancouver's best?

We are landing in Vancouver at 1 PM the day before our cruise. The hotel we are staying at is Sutton Place on Burrard St. With that location and such a limited amount of time available, what recommendations do you have for seeing at least some of Vancouver's best?

Places that you may wish to visit would include Stanley Park, Gastown, Granville Island and pehaps an evening stroll on Robson St. Vancouver Tours also offers a morning tour specifically designed for cruisers where they pick you and your luggage up, take you on a tour and then drop you off at the cruise terminal. Here are a few links for your convenience:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

http://www.granvilleisland.com/en

http://www.gastown.org/