Vancouver Info if needed

After reading all these helpful post, we are now thinking in terms of 2 post night in Vancouver, as it stands now our cruise line X has us booked into the Sheraton Wall Centre

but of course that can be cancelled before final payment which is late March our cruise ends

June 11th.

I am thinking of a one day train right and checking out the local fare and shopping.

One interesting thing I read was the train to Seattle

what are the pros and cons of this, how long is it if anyone knows

and do they run on time ?

All current tips will help, as some of the earlier one are no longer good.

The Sheraton Wall Centre hotel is a good hotel in a good location, however in my mind if you are going to pay that kind of price ....maybe its a block or two out of the mix.... the only complaint we have heard was from one cruiser who complined about the sirens as it is only a couple of blocks from St. Pauls hospital.

Amtrak is a good way to get back to Seattle. Here is a link to the Amtrak sked. It leaves Vancouver southbound ant 5:45pm and gets into Seattle just after 10PM...there are parts of it that are quite scenic. From the Sheraton, unless you want to man-handle your bags several blocks to SkyTrain station then you best bet is a cab...your fare will be $10-$12. link

The Sheraton Wall Centre hotel is a good hotel in a good location, however in my mind if you are going to pay that kind of price ....maybe its a block or two out of the mix.... the only complaint we have heard was from one cruiser who complined about the sirens as it is only a couple of blocks from St. Pauls hospital.

Amtrak is a good way to get back to Seattle. Here is a link to the Amtrak sked. It leaves Vancouver southbound ant 5:45pm and gets into Seattle just after 10PM...there are parts of it that are quite scenic. From the Sheraton, unless you want to man-handle your bags several blocks to SkyTrain station then you best bet is a cab...your fare will be $10-$12. link

Sheraton is where the Cruise line book me

I am looking on my own What about the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Downtown

BTW Thanks for the reply

I am not receiving any email notifications of replies

I am marked for them

Edited by TheMiz

Good location couple of blocks east of centre ice but cruisers like it a lot (you won't have as many sirens there). Has a free breakfast and free shuttle to the piers but none of the downtown hotels are more than a $10 cab fare from the piers. You certainly won't go wrong staying there.

On your subscription to the tread are you set up for "instant email notices"?

Good location couple of blocks east of centre ice but cruisers like it a lot (you won't have as many sirens there). Has a free breakfast and free shuttle to the piers but none of the downtown hotels are more than a $10 cab fare from the piers.

We do stay at Hamptons and Homewood Suites alot but this is the most expensive one

I have stayed at.

When you say free shuttle to the pier , is that only TO and not FROM

we will be staying POST CRUISE.

I have changed my email in an effort to correct the non email notifcation

Vancouver hotels are very expensive, particulalry during the summer. You may want to consider bidding on Priceline say in March....I am expecting that we are going to see some very good deals this year.

My only other suggestion would be to un-subscribe completely and then try subscribing again... but I have had this happen to me in the past without being able to correct it.:mad:

Vancouver hotels are very expensive, particulalry during the summer. You may want to consider bidding on Priceline say in March....I am expecting that we are going to see some very good deals this year.

My only other suggestion would be to un-subscribe completely and then try subscribing again... but I have had this happen to me in the past without being able to correct it.:mad:

Changing the email address must have done the trick.

I never have use Priceline before

I will look into it.

What I would do is... once in Priceline bidding for Vancouver, I would go to Vancouver-Downtown, then start bidding for 3*+ and open my bidding at about $75 or $80. At under $125 you should end up with a very good hotel. Don't be afraid to stop bidding and come back to it a few days latter. We have a bit of a perfect storm occuring in Vancouver, a large number of hotel rooms have some on stream the last couple of years in anticipation of the winter olympics, we have fewer cruise ships being homeported in Vancouver this year and we have a US economy stuck on slow....there should be some good deals post olympics.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a YVR question I am sure Scottbee will be able to help

We end our cruise on June 11th and we wanted to stay in Vancouver for a couple nights to enjoy this beautiful city, right now I am booked ( post cruise ) at the Hampton Inn We are heading home to oHIo Sunday the 13th , I should get to the point sorry for going on

but we used BA FF miles and booked on AA business class my question is this , is there a lounge at YVR such as the Admirial Club etc.

I have a YVR question I am sure Scottbee will be able to help

We end our cruise on June 11th and we wanted to stay in Vancouver for a couple nights to enjoy this beautiful city, right now I am booked ( post cruise ) at the Hampton Inn We are heading home to oHIo Sunday the 13th , I should get to the point sorry for going on

but we used BA FF miles and booked on AA business class my question is this , is there a lounge at YVR such as the Admirial Club etc.

You would have to check with the airlines . They might share the lounge with Air Canada or

another airline.:cool: Have fun in Vancouver . It's a great city to visit and the weather is normal

great in June.:cool:

We want to take the 5:45 PM train to Seattle on the day our ship arrives in Vancouver (7:30AM). Would we be able to go ahead and check our luggage at the Amtrak station then spend the day touring the city? Or is checking our luggage at Canada Place for the day a better option?

Thanks

We want to take the 5:45 PM train to Seattle on the day our ship arrives in Vancouver (7:30AM). Would we be able to go ahead and check our luggage at the Amtrak station then spend the day touring the city? Or is checking our luggage at Canada Place for the day a better option?

Thanks

This is the exact reason I came to this board - to find out the answer to this question. I'll be looking forward to finding out the best way to store my luggage for the day.

Our friend PD - away on a cruise right now has answered this question before - if i remember correctly he suggests storing at Canada Place or the Pan Pacific because it is right in the middle of the tourist hub - if you go to the train station you will in most cases be coming back to the area of Canada Place to do a lot of your sightseeing which will result in a waste of valuable time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like it would only be a five minute taxi ride to the train station from Canada Place. I would still be in the downtown area with easy access to the city bus. If I were flying out of Vancouver, I would definitely store my luggage somewhere nearby. I'm thinking I may be mistaken about where the train station is located. Please clarify. Thank you for your help.

Yes thank you, Dennis.

Any idea what it costs to store luggage at Canada Place?

These are the people with an office at Canada Place for Baggage Storage: http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/index.html (previously known as CDS Baggage).

As for the Amtrak/VIA Station, it's about a $10, 10 minute cab (or $2.50/ea on the Skytrain) ride east of downtown. Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.284604,-123.102064&spn=0.044286,0.132093&z=14

These are the people with an office at Canada Place for Baggage Storage: http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/index.html (previously known as CDS Baggage).

As for the Amtrak/VIA Station, it's about a $10, 10 minute cab (or $2.50/ea on the Skytrain) ride east of downtown. Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.284604,-123.102064&spn=0.044286,0.132093&z=14

Thanks! awesome info!

We are driving to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise in May, and I have been following this thread gathering "tons" of useful info. I am especially interested in finding out more info on the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites since we have to find parking, and I like their "cruise package." First, is it a pretty nice hotel, and second, is it located in a safe and good part of town? Is it close to restaurants and access to transport systems?

This thread is full of very helpful info, and I know that someone will be able to help me!

jan