Vancouver Info if needed

We are driving to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise in May, and I have been following this thread gathering "tons" of useful info. I am especially interested in finding out more info on the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites since we have to find parking, and I like their "cruise package." First, is it a pretty nice hotel, and second, is it located in a safe and good part of town? Is it close to restaurants and access to transport systems?

This thread is full of very helpful info, and I know that someone will be able to help me!

jan

1st. Yes

2nd yes but it is a big city and one must always be aware of his/her surroundings especially at night.

3rd yes. It's out of the downtown core very close to English bay.

Ask for a room at lest 6 floors up or more preferably. (Ocean or city views) One of my favorite restaurants the Rain City Grill is just a short walk away. Try their tasting menu. FYI a bit pricey but great for a special one shot night :) All sorts of restaurants/small shops walkable as is the southern part of Stanley park.

We are driving to Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise in May, and I have been following this thread gathering "tons" of useful info. I am especially interested in finding out more info on the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites since we have to find parking, and I like their "cruise package." First, is it a pretty nice hotel, and second, is it located in a safe and good part of town? Is it close to restaurants and access to transport systems?

This thread is full of very helpful info, and I know that someone will be able to help me!

Given the normal cost of parking in Vancouver, the Coast Plaza is impossible to beat if you're driving to Vancouver for a cruise. It's about 12 blocks from downtown/Canada Place, close to the southern end of Stanley Park.

map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coast+plaza&sll=49.187129,-123.024559&sspn=0.709974,2.113495&ie=UTF8&hq=coast+plaza&hnear=&ll=49.286115,-123.131504&spn=0.044285,0.132093&z=14&iwloc=A

We just booked the Coast Plaza for 5-30. We are lucky because the rate goes up $50 the next night.

Jan, looks like you may be there before we are, but I have been searching for somewhere with parking also, especially for the 14 days we are gone, and this seems the best bet. Ask for transport, the web site says to or from the dock included. And I had to ask about the parking, she put me on hold when I said it was on their site, came back and said yes, parking included.

Looks like a great place to stay and if I am not missing the boat (whoops, no pun intended) it is part of a mall with just about everything close by. I just wish we were staying longer, but Alaska here we come.

I also called and booked the Coast Plaza yesterday because of the parking and pretty good reviews. We booked one night pre-cruise on 5-16 and will have 14 days parking as we are doing the B2B on the Island Princess. I started to go ahead and book our one day post-cruise stay there too, but for that one night (5-31) it was almost as much as the entire "cruise package!" That increase must have gone into effect! I think I will wait until after the olympics are over and then try to get a good deal on priceline for that night!

I love this Canada board! Everyone is SO-O-O helpful with useful advice!! Thank you!!

jan

Classyshots, do you know if the Coast Plaza has a laundramat? I didn't see one listed on the hotel amenities list, but on betterbidding it shows that icon on their list of hotwire hotels. After a week of traveling before we get on the ship, it would be nice to get some things washed before we board. I know that we could wait until we get on the ship and then do it, but having an iron and ironing board in the hotel room would be handy--and I wouldn't have to "do laundry" when I would rather be exploring the ship!

jan

I don't know if they have a laundramat or not but you could try calling them on their toll free number. The hotel in situated in a very dense high rise apartment neighbourhood so if the hotel doesn't have one there will be one close at hand on Denman St.

One thing that we found last cruise season is that the hotel did offer a finite number of these "stay, park and cruise" packages and when they are sold .... well that's all folks.

Hi Jan,

Looks like you two are doing exactly the same trip we are, just 2 weeks earlier. I hope you have great weather on your drive up from Texas. We are only about 8 hours South of Vancouver, in Oregon.

I don't see where they tell us about the laundry facilites, but this information on the Mall that adjoins makes me think they might.

http://www.denmanplacemall.com/

If your roll call isn't busy yet, you are always welcome over in the June 7th Southbound or the B2B May 31st threads. We have been discussing many of the shore excursions.

Happy Sailing,

Jonna

The Denman Place Mall is situated immediately below the hotel but I am not sure that there is a Laundromat there. There is a number of them on Denman St. though, there is the Hot Sox Laundromat in the 900 block and the Laund'rays in the 700 block, either are walking distance from the hotel with Hot Sox being the closer.

I also called and booked the Coast Plaza yesterday because of the parking and pretty good reviews. We booked one night pre-cruise on 5-16 and will have 14 days parking as we are doing the B2B on the Island Princess. I started to go ahead and book our one day post-cruise stay there too, but for that one night (5-31) it was almost as much as the entire "cruise package!" That increase must have gone into effect! I think I will wait until after the olympics are over and then try to get a good deal on priceline for that night!

I love this Canada board! Everyone is SO-O-O helpful with useful advice!! Thank you!!

jan

The prices won't change after the Olympics. What you you ran into is the

seasonal change in rates . Vancouver& Victoria raise rates after the May 24

week-end . That week-end is the start of the summer rates.

I stay for business at the Hilton in Burnaby an the rates go from $120/night

to $250/night. Hope this helps explaining the rate difference.:)

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

I'm staying at the Sheraton Wall Center in Vancouver post cruise, first what is your take on this hotel and 2nd what is a good tour company to use for Victoria and Butdhart Gardens tours?

Thanks,

Neil

The Sheraton Wall Center is a newish hotel just out of the downtown business district. As it is a very tall building that sits on one of the highest levels of the downtown peninsula is does offer some great views. I would make the personal observation that it is just a little out of the swing of things by a block or two. One comment that was made by a CC last year and I can see their point, it is located quite close to St. Paul's Hospital and therefore they were aware of a lot of sirens. Other then that, I am sure that you will be very happy with the hotel.

If you are going over to Victoria from Vancouver than I would recommend Pacific Coach Line....they have been around forever and are kind of a touch stone for tours to Victoria, Butchart Gardens and return. link

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Hi,

I will take you up on your offer. I am going to be staying Vancouver post-cruise. Will be staying at the Blue Horizon (Robson Street). Our flight leaves at 9:30 am. Can you tell me what time we should leave the hotel and when we should be at the airport for a flight to Ottawa/NY? Is it three hours you have to go ahead of a your flight in Vancouver? Will be able to take the Skytrain?

Also, we will be spending a day in Vancouver. What should we see? We have scheduled a Victoria tour for the other day.

Thanks.

Hi,

I will take you up on your offer. I am going to be staying Vancouver post-cruise. Will be staying at the Blue Horizon (Robson Street). Our flight leaves at 9:30 am. Can you tell me what time we should leave the hotel and when we should be at the airport for a flight to Ottawa/NY? Is it three hours you have to go ahead of a your flight in Vancouver? Will be able to take the Skytrain?

Also, we will be spending a day in Vancouver. What should we see? We have scheduled a Victoria tour for the other day.

Thanks.

As you won't clear US customs until you get to Ottawa, you don't need to be at YVR until an hour before flight time but allow an 1.5 hrs to be safe. You could take the new Canada Line out to YVR but you will have a bit of a hike with your luggage from the blue Horizon to the closest station. Otherwise it is about a 30 min and $35 cab fare. As to what to see, I would suggest one of the two HOHO excruisions, they are a great way to see most of the city's sights in short period of time:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

On previous cruises have driven from California and parked at CP doing RT YVR/YVR. Now going on Cruise Tour and elected to stay o/n in YVR. Looked at Pan Pacific and Fairmont, but as only staying o/n decided to spend 1/2 and booked at Days Inn Dtwn.

1. What is ur opinion of Days Inn for one night?

2. Is it just easier to walk to pier (looks like two blocks) or get driven all over YVR by taxicab driver before getting to CP and pier?

3. Was planning to buy wine at BC Liquors, 555 W. Hastings - are there prices reasonable? They appear close by - three blocks.

Appreciate your assistance.

Regards

BuddahGolf;)

The Days Inn is a remake of a very old hotel known as the Abbotsford Hotel...my first job was in the building next door in 1964 and it was an old hotel then . If you are paying north of $100 pn then you will likely do better by bidding on Priceline but wait a few months. Yes it is an easy walk from the Days to Canada Place...more like 3 to 4 blocks. BC Liquor stores are government run stores and our government hates competition so yes you will get your best prices there.

Edited by Putterdude

have not stayed there but it does have sort of a 50/50 reputation. Not the greatest and not the best :) help any ??

If you check google maps close up you will see that the quickest way to CP is via walk ways sort of mid block. I can't remember exactly if you are able to get through there without using steps. It is a bit of a drop down to CP.

BC wines are not cheap anywhere. Sorry. But they will have a fairly good selection there but FYI I don't think it is open on Sundays

PD - two things.

1. Remember that Alberni street liquor store is moving to the other end of the block in a couple of short months - most of the structural work for the new shopping areas of the 1166 Alberni building is finished so it won't be long before they move. My old employer's corporate offices are in the building so I will try and find out a definite moving date.

2. Did you see the story on CTV tonight about the Sunshine Coast B & B's who are booming because of the Games - apparently they would normally have something like 12 bed nights at this time of year and they have more than 400 bed nights booked.

Apparently people are figuring if it is going to take 1 - 2 hours to get around downtown by car why not stay on the SC and foot passenger it on the ferry and then bus into town or grab the bus to Whistler.

Cheers

Dennis

Very good point...however the LDB site still shows the location I posted...the map shows otherwise but the address is the one I posted...what more can we expect from the LDB.

No, we didn't see the news item as we watch Global but they did run a similar item about 5 ot 6 weeks ago...guess Bill Good doesn't want all those people running all over his beach so held back on this one.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...