Vancouver Info if needed

Yes there will be a number of places both government run and private shops where you will be able to purchase wine - if you let us know which hotel you are staying at we will be able to give you the closest location - I will leave it to some of the other locals to tell you which are the better places as I am not much of a wine drinker - beer yes.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you Dennis - we are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre, on Burrard St - right near the hospital.

Thank you Dennis - we are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre, on Burrard St - right near the hospital.

As Ut has said, there are a number of liquor stores in downtown Vancouver. Normally the better prices are had at our government stores and the closest one is a new one on Bute St. It is what the call a 'Signature' store and carries a larger selection of wines and spirits then a normal store. It is also open on Sundays which may an advantage to you. There is a regular sized store down by Canada Place, at Seymour and Cordova Sts but it is not open on Sundays and a little further to walk.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/BC+Liquor+Stores,+Bute+Street,+Vancouver,+BC/Sheraton+Vancouver+Wall+Centre,+1088+Burrard+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6Z+2R9/@49.2833801,-123.1251637,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x54867180c6ae1a83:0x5ad67f5ccb8fd956!1m2!1m1!1s0x548673d526270ceb:0x3392fb600a9680c1!3e2!5m1!1e3?hl=en-ca

The closest private store is downstairs, Wall Fine Spirits, on the Hornby side of the hotel.

The closest provincial store is at 1155 Bute. Depending what you're doing in town there may be another you're passing - like the Harbourfront Centre which is very close to the pier - if you just want to grab some while passing. While all other downtown stores are now open Sundays, harbourfront is odd - BC Liquor website is currently saying to call for hours, so they must be altering the schedule.

If your tastes run to the swanky, and the regular stores don't carry product you like (you can check online) a Signature store may be needed - closest one of those is also on Bute but up nearer the Coal Harbour end so further to walk from the Sheraton.

Will be in Vancouver, downtown, for a few days prior to cruise. Is there a good place to purchase wine for us to take on board? Flying so really can't bring with us from home.

There's also Duty Free, unless you have transfers that require you to go through security prior to landing in Vancouver. Or you could hit up the private liquor store in the airport, prior to heading to your hotel.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/shop-dine-and-services/333

The renos could very well be the reason for not being open on Sunday, however as I recall that store has never being open on Sundays and holidays. My experience is the LDB renos usually take less that a month and I know it didn't have Sunday openings back in the spring. I suspect it's hours are a locational issue more than anything.....but we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vancouverites,

I really appreciate your willingness to help out visitors to your beautiful country.

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal cruise in a few weeks. We'll arrive in Vancouver on Friday afternoon, and embark our ship on Sunday.

On a Friday afternoon (approx. 1 p), what is the best way for a party of 2 to travel from YVR to the Hyatt Regency downtown? I've been through YVR many times, but don't recall noticing the light rail station there. How does the cost and convenience of light rail compare to taking a taxi?

What's the best way to get to Canada Place on a 3 ship day from the Hyatt Regency? It's a 12 day cruise, so we will probably each have a large suitcase and a carryon. I believe the royal couple will also be in town that day, which could cause some travel issues if they are going to be in that area.

If we go by taxi, where would we ask the taxi driver to drop us off, so that we are right where the porters will take our luggage?

Is there a city bus from downtown or from Lonsdale Quay area that will take us to and from Horseshoe Bay? If yes, about how long would that take by bus? We don't want to deal with a rental car since we have so little time to enjoy your beautiful city on this trip.

We're hoping to visit Granville Island, English Bay, Stanley Park, Gastown, Lonsdale Quay and Grouse Mountain as weather permits.

Thanks much for any information / guidance that you can offer.:)

@bbttb: Thoughts...

• the light rail station above the taxi stand. When walking to the taxi....look up!
  • cost is $9 per person. So for two people... it will be $18, compared to $31 by taxi for door to door convenience. Basically taxi would cost you USD$10 extra.
  • I like the train without luggage. Loaded up with carry-on's and checked luggage.... I want the cab.
  • once you get off at the VCS station.... you need to drag your luggage 4 blocks to the Hyatt entrance. Again... I prefer the cab.
  • If you are fit... you can drag your luggage to Canada Place. Otherwise, cab is about $10. Cab drivers typically drive into the cruise ship level where staff will take your checked bags into the cruise ship. You will be provided directions on where to queue for security, screening, customs and registration.
  • there is a bus around the corner from the Hyatt to Horseshoe Bay. You don't need the Seabus.

Hi Vancouverites,

I really appreciate your willingness to help out visitors to your beautiful country.

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Infinity Pacific Coastal cruise in a few weeks. We'll arrive in Vancouver on Friday afternoon, and embark our ship on Sunday.

On a Friday afternoon (approx. 1 p), what is the best way for a party of 2 to travel from YVR to the Hyatt Regency downtown? I've been through YVR many times, but don't recall noticing the light rail station there. How does the cost and convenience of light rail compare to taking a taxi?

What's the best way to get to Canada Place on a 3 ship day from the Hyatt Regency? It's a 12 day cruise, so we will probably each have a large suitcase and a carryon. I believe the royal couple will also be in town that day, which could cause some travel issues if they are going to be in that area.

If we go by taxi, where would we ask the taxi driver to drop us off, so that we are right where the porters will take our luggage?

Is there a city bus from downtown or from Lonsdale Quay area that will take us to and from Horseshoe Bay? If yes, about how long would that take by bus? We don't want to deal with a rental car since we have so little time to enjoy your beautiful city on this trip.

We're hoping to visit Granville Island, English Bay, Stanley Park, Gastown, Lonsdale Quay and Grouse Mountain as weather permits.

Thanks much for any information / guidance that you can offer.:)

You will find the Canada Line YVR Station well signed and easy to access from the departures level. The trains and the stations were designed to handle luggage so that is no issue. You will have about a 4 block walk from the Vancouver City Centre station to the Hyatt Regency, the walk is level to slightly downhill. The full fare is $9 each. For a cab the flat rate, door to door is $31 and you get to see a bit of the city rather than the walls of a dark subway tube.

I am not sure of your dates but yes it is entirely possible the Will and Kate will be here. However, royal visits tend to have very little impact on traffic.

It is about a 10 minute walk from the HR to Canada Place, all downhill. A cab fare will run about $10 and the taxi will go right down to the level where you can hand your luggage off to the porters.

Is there a reason you wish to go out to Horseshoe Bay? It tends to be a transit hub for BC Ferries and is not as scenic as it used to be. In any event you can catch a #250 or a #257 bus at Burrard and Georgia, a half block from the HR that will take you out to HB. The 257 is an express bus and the 250 is a longer but much more scenic trip. The time in either direction is about 45 mins to an hour .... see link below.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vancouver+City+Centre/Hyatt+Regency+Vancouver,+655+Burrard+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6C+2R7/@49.2840179,-123.1214712,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486717f13178bd3:0x6d714d6c1cbb6bc4!2m2!1d-123.118555!2d49.2824832!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867181950118d3:0x64d3ac2e5a7db8df!2m2!1d-123.1205555!2d49.2852026

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Cruise+Ship+Terminal,+Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada/Hyatt+Regency+Vancouver,+655+Burrard+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6C+2R7/@49.2866638,-123.119034,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867182d1b1ee03:0x586bef2fc335e218!2m2!1d-123.1131351!2d49.2879678!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867181950118d3:0x64d3ac2e5a7db8df!2m2!1d-123.1205555!2d49.2852026!3e2

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

Thank you both for the timely and very helpful information. For the small difference in cost, and the much greater convenience and comfort, I think we'll go with the tax from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel to the pier.

One of the reasons we enjoy Vancouver so much (besides the natural beauty) is that it's such a great walking city. However, I think we would both prefer to do our walking without dragging a 50 lb suitcase with us.

Horseshoe Bay is such a cute, quaint little town, and we always enjoy wandering around, having lunch, and maybe hopping a ferry for a ride out to the Sunshine Coast. It's probably been 10 years since we had a chance to go there -- has it changed much over the years?

Would a transit pass cover the bus out to Horseshoe Bay, or only transportation within Vancouver proper? Do you happen to know the daily or 2-day price?

I have some Canadian $$, but probably not enough to cover the taxi from YVR to the hotel. Would I be able to get a decent exchange rate at the airport, or would it be better to wait til we get downtown, and just pay the taxi driver in US funds? I will probably only need to exchange $200-300 US.

I want to thank you both for your time, kindness and willingness to help out visitors to your country. Whenever we visit Canada, we're struck by how kind and friendly the people are, and how willing they are to help a stranger.

I would be inclined to go to my bank and get some CAD but as an alternative RBC does have some ATMs at YVR.

If you have fond memories of Horseshoe Bay then by all means go for a visit. I have forgotten when the last expansion of the BCF terminal ocured but it rather dominates Horseshoe Bay.....that said there is still a small shopping area and everyone's favourite fish n chip shop .....Troll's.

I have lived in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast for the past 12 years.....so has it changed, sure it has but lower Gibsons is still a good visit with Molly's Reach and Molley's Lane. A transit bus meets each arrival of the ferry at the Langdale terminal and a bus ride into lower Gibsons is only about 5 to 6 min bus ride.

I remember a nice waterfront restaurant that was open for lunch and dinner. I don't recall the name, but it was on the cove to the left of the ferry terminal. Do you know if it's still there?

We haven't been to Horseshoe Bay since before the pier was hit by one of the ferries.

Would the Vancouver transit pass work for this bus, or would we need to buy a different ticket either in Horseshoe Bay or when we get to Gibsons? Would we need to have exact change? Do you by chance know the cost? Thanks.

There is a Rexall Drugstore in the Royal Center Mall which is part of the Hyatt Regency complex. There are a number of other stores etc in that mall and the adjoining Bentall Center Complex.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Your Vancouver bus pass will work for the bus out to Horseshoe Bay as it is part of the Translink maze of operating companies and at present all buses are one zone regardless of distance or time of day - so it's $2.75 for adults or $1.75 for Seniors.

The bus that meets the ferry in Langdale is not part of the Translink system so it is a separate fare. Perhaps Putterdude might know the cost of that service.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

Would the Vancouver transit pass work for this bus, or would we need to buy a different ticket either in Horseshoe Bay or when we get to Gibsons? Would we need to have exact change? Do you by chance know the cost? Thanks.

Your Day Pass will get you out to Horseshoe Bay and back without a problem. However, without boring you with a lot of detail, the Langdale to Gibsons route is different system so you will need to pay an other fare there which is $2.00 pp....sorry I don't know how long the ticket is good for, as in can you use the same ticket to return from Langdale from Gibsons. One word of caution, if I may, your trip to Horseshoe Bay and on to Gibsons is shaping up to be a full day excursion, I hope you realize that.

Ut is correct about Rexall being in Royal Centre however, probably a better bet in my mind is the London Drugs which is located adjacent Vancouver City Centre station. London Drugs is a larger store, carrying a much wider range of goods and tends to be a price leader.

http://www.scrd.ca/Fares-Schedules--Routes

I came across an entry on the board, indicating that Canada no longer has paper money in denominations of less than $5, and no longer uses pennies.

Over the years, I would bring home whatever Canadian $$ I had left from a vacation and would stash it in our cruse fund. I have lots of $1 and $2 paper bills, and lots of coins, including pennies. Are the small bills and pennies still legal tender in Canada, or have we missed our chance to use them?

If they are still legal tender, would we be able to use them in the machines at the transit stations to buy day passes, or use it to pay the taxi driver?

Edited by bbttb
additional questions

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency for 2 nights before boarding the Celebrity Infinity for the Pacific Coastal Cruise in 2 weeks. I was reviewing restaurants on Trip Advisor and Groupon, and came across a couple I'm curious about.

One is called Salmon 'n Bannock on Broadway. Has anyone tried them? What did you think? Is it within walking distance of the Hyatt Regency, and in a decent area of the city?

The other is a baked potato restaurant on Robson St., that sounded like it might be good for a quick lunch. Has anyone tried them? We've stayed at the Blue Horizon and at what used to be the Sheraton Landmark many times...is it near there? Worth a visit?

Any other suggestions? We would prefer to be able to either walk or ride the sky train or sea bus, rather than take a taxi.

We usually go out for one "nice" meal per day, usually at lunch time. We tend to eat very lightly at breakfast and dinner.

I came across an entry on the board, indicating that Canada no longer has paper money in denominations of less than $5, and no longer uses pennies.

Over the years, I would bring home whatever Canadian $$ I had left from a vacation and would stash it in our cruse fund. I have lots of $1 and $2 paper bills, and lots of coins, including pennies. Are the small bills and pennies still legal tender in Canada, or have we missed our chance to use them?

If they are still legal tender, would we be able to use them in the machines at the transit stations to buy day passes, or use it to pay the taxi driver?

Yes, both the small bills and pennies are legal tender and no you will not be able to use them at transit stations. I would go to a bank once I got to Vancouver and convert them to current denominations. You can certainly use them in stores but a retailer my kind of roll there eyes at you if you tried to use a whole handful of pennies.

Take them to a bank to exchange them for newer currency. While all discontinued notes technically remain legal tender, you can expect almost every vendor you try to hand them over to to refuse them. Almost certainly won't be accepted as valid by machines either.

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency for 2 nights before boarding the Celebrity Infinity for the Pacific Coastal Cruise in 2 weeks. I was reviewing restaurants on Trip Advisor and Groupon, and came across a couple I'm curious about.

One is called Salmon 'n Bannock on Broadway. Has anyone tried them? What did you think? Is it within walking distance of the Hyatt Regency, and in a decent area of the city?

The other is a baked potato restaurant on Robson St., that sounded like it might be good for a quick lunch. Has anyone tried them? We've stayed at the Blue Horizon and at what used to be the Sheraton Landmark many times...is it near there? Worth a visit?

Any other suggestions? We would prefer to be able to either walk or ride the sky train or sea bus, rather than take a taxi.

We usually go out for one "nice" meal per day, usually at lunch time. We tend to eat very lightly at breakfast and dinner.

Salmon & Bannock is a great place, family-run, and incredible value for the dishes offered. Best value I've found for game dishes, and unique cuisine (closest other first nations resto is in Whistler). While I've touted it a lot in the past I'm a bit annoyed they're as popular as they are on Tripadvisor now as it's much harder to just walk in!

You'll want to cab or transit from the Hyatt as it's the other side of False Creek on Broadway, almost 4km to walk. Ballpark $15-20 by cab, or $2.75pp bus (take 10, 14, 16 and get off at Broadway, walk east 4 blocks). No idea about the baked potato place I'm afraid. You could also try the Georgia Straight's Golden Plates awards which gives local public views of the top 3 in many categories so it's very easy to pick your preferred types of food and see what's popular. Quite a few very good local restos don't do lunch though, only opening for dinner.

Happy to offer reccos for other places, but I need more info - at least a ballpark budget and types of food you love/hate.

Edited by martincath