Desserts

NinaCO

On my last two Carnival cruises, the desserts were beautiful. But, they were rather tasteless.:( On one of the Conquest threads, someone mentioned that the food was good except for the desserts. Since I rarely eat them, desserts are [font=Comic Sans MS][size=4]important [font=Verdana][size=2]on a cruise[/size][/font]! :D [/size][/font] Anyone had one on a recent Carnival cruise that was really good?

While on the Legend last March, we had dinner in the alternate dining room, The Golden Fleece. For dessert, I ordered the creme brule. Much to my surprize, I got not one, but three minis all different versions. And each one was fabulous. :D

Beth

Nina, I never eat desserts except when I cruise. On my last cruise, I thought everything I ordered in the dining room was good. On the Lido, I didn't try any of their desserts except the cheesecake which I found to be quite tasty. None of the cakes looked like they would be worth the calories.:D

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkolivegreen]Y'know, as much as I like Carnival's food, I believe the desserts are lacking in taste. I think it's the only area that needs improvement. Even though some of the desserts are 'good', none are outstanding - except perhaps the sundae, and how can you mess that up?:D [/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#556b2f][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#556b2f]I'm thinking about the Grand Marnier Souffle', as an example. They are obviously NOT using real cream, but using milk instead. (Even Half 'n Half would make it better.) It just has no substance, no richness, as it should have. I would truly be hard pressed to recommend any dessert, and I've probably tried MOST of them.[/color][/size][/font][/b]

hey nina... i just back off of the fantasy last week (see my review here: [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44493[/url]) and i thought all the desserts were good... and a couple were really good... the chocolate mousse cake had a thin layer of chocolate cake on the bottom and a thick layer of chocolate mousse in the middle and a thin layer of chocolate iceing on top... the mousse was very rich and chocolaty (sp?) but not to sweet which was purfect... the baked alaskan was standard cake with good icecream but i thought the layer of frosting was just perfect... i had some good stuff on that cruise... and some great desserts as well...

[color=purple]I never met a dessert I didn't like. Now some are better than others. Some in the main dining room were a little flat and some on the Lido deck were flat as well.[/color]
[color=purple][/color]
[color=purple]However, having a sweet tooth, I just kept trying until on the SECOND day I had it down pat. It's just a matter of sampling. I'm not going to say how much weight I gained eating desserts but some of the weight gain had to do with the sugar content in the mixed drinks[/color]!:p

The Chocalate Decadense is WOW-- that good. Now there is a difference between the desserts at dinner and the grand buffet, I found those desserts just tasteless.beautiful to look at.... I iwll save future calories just but looking. But for dinner... cant pass em up.

[size=3][color=black]The best dessert, being the chocoholic that I am, is the Flourless Chocolate Cake! This is absolutely sublime! If you order it, order a side of vanilla ice cream and put it on top! I am getting hungry just writing this!:p [/color][/size]

I have to agree with Moonbaby.... The flourless Chocolate Cake was the ONLY dessert worth mentioning. I tried several at each meal and a bite of each was all I could stand. Granted, I'm in the Food & Beverage business, so I'm used to getting really great stuff... I'm a bit spoiled :)

I've always thought that the desserts in the dining room were better than the ones on the Lido deck. That's odd, because I wouldn't expect that there would be any difference. The cakes (my favorite) in particular seemed rather flavorless.

[quote name='pholter'] Granted, I'm in the Food & Beverage business, so I'm used to getting really great stuff... I'm a bit spoiled :)[/QUOTE][b][size=3][color=darkgreen]Hey pholter, I'm a retired F&B director for hotels, so maybe I'm a bit of a food snob, but I DO find most of the entrees on Carnival absolutely wonderful - presentation as well as taste. I've often wondered why they don't carry that thru w/desserts. I've never had a meal at Lido buffet...Love the dining room for all three meals! Service is excellent, and I like being pampered. :) [/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#006400][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#006400]BTW, I've been to Katy![/color][/size][/b]

Hey Cotton- that's so cool!! I agree with you regarding the entrees in the Dining Room 100% and I just don't get why they can't seem to hire a decent pastry chef on any of their ships. Maybe it would cost them too much if the desserts were outstanding; just think how much more we all would eat!! :)

Archived