Restuarants in Copenhagen

We will be in Copenhagen for 3 nights before our cruise and are looking for 3 good moderately priced resturants. We would like one either near or in Tivoli Gardens, one in the Stroget area and one in Nyhaven. Thanks for your help

We will be in Copenhagen for 3 nights before our cruise and are looking for 3 good moderately priced resturants. We would like one either near or in Tivoli Gardens, one in the Stroget area and one in Nyhaven. Thanks for your help

You have selected three very good areas to try for dinner. For Nyhavn, on one side of the canal, there are a number of consecutive cafes, all side by side. It does not matter which you choose, just walk by and see what looks good. If the weather is good, there will be a lot of people dining or just having drinks outside under umbrellas along the canal. If it's crowded, you may find yourself dining at whichever cafe has a seat available. I strongly recommend outside dining which is great for people watching in this very popular location, weather permitting. If you really wanted to know which restaurant was best, just ask the locals when you’re in the area. Or, ask your hotel concierge.

As for the Stroget area, there is a street/square behind stroget, behind Illums Bolighus, where you'll find Peder Oxe http://www.pederoxe.dk . I believe Illiums Bolighus is located in the Gammel Strand area of Stroget. Also, right next to Peder oxe is Bøf & øst, another good choice with outside dining. http://www.boef-ost.dk In the evenings, there is a nightwatchmans tour which departs from Peder Oxe. Although I don't belive the tour has anything to do with the restaurant, I believe it's just a meeting point for this tour.

For Tivoli, we dined at at two restaurants, Færgekroen, and Grøften http://www.groeften.dk/engelsk/startframe.htm Reservations can be made via email with Grøften which might be a good idea, although not possibly not necessary. I recommend dining in Grøften's garden area, which is actually glass enclosed. I also enjoyed the Færgekroen is a much smaller restaurant, great Danish food, and along the Tivoli lake. Although the food is good, I'd want lakeside dining, (food and view) weather permitting, otherwise I'd probably try something else.

Other than these restaurants I've suggested, I'd ask the hotel for further recommendations. For myself, I'd want to try the Danish food, something local, and food that I can't get at home. Although I like outside dining in good weather because of the people watching, dining inside could be interesting too with a restaurant in a building 400 years old. Therefore, if I were to inquire about a restaurant other than what I've already suggested, I'd explain to the hotel concierge that I'd want Danish food, let them know the price level, and in a building with character, since Copenhagen is such an old city.

I'd just like to add that no matter where you dine, you can't go wrong in this City. Although Copenhagen is over 400 years old, the society is very modern. I am confident you'll enjoy which ever restaurants you choose or find as I believe there is no bad or wrong choice, not in this city. But yes, it can be expensive. It's expensive for the Danes too, they will be the first to admit that. So, it might simply be wise to ask the locals where they eat once your there. This is also a good way to initiate a conversation and meet the local citizens.

One more thought, since you have three nights, I'd strongly recommend a program called something like Dine with the Danes, where you have dinner in a Danish home. What a wonderful way to meet new friends and have a home cooked Danish meal. Although there is a cost, rest assured, the Danish people who participate do so to meet people, not for the money. Therefore, feel comfortable being a guest. It's a great idea.

Have fun, Copenhagen is a wonderful city,

Steve

As we strolled the Nyhavn area last summer I checked the posted menus in the various sidewalk cafes. The prices seemed pretty consistent, and higher than in other parts of the city. It was our first day, first dinner, and we suffered a little sticker shock when I computed the prices in dollars.

In the Stroget area we ate at Cafe Norden, Cafe Europa, and the Dubliner (all sort of kiddie-corner in the same square).

All were a bit different from each other and all were good in our opinion.

And then there are people like me, not too interested in the food in Copenhagen! Our first night we walked quite a while looking at menus and not seeing much that excited us, we settled on the good ol' Hard Rock Cafe next to Tavoli Gardens. But if you're like Steve, go with his advice, since we sailed with him and his wife last year, I know that he knows his stuff! Hi Steve, say hello to Eileen for me!

Mary

But if you're like Steve, go with his advice, since we sailed with him and his wife last year, I know that he knows his stuff! Hi Steve, say hello to Eileen for me!

Mary

Hi Mary,

I regret I do not believe I am the Steve you sailed with last season. Although I did sail last season, and visited Copenhagen before and after the cruise, but I am not married. I took my parents and and aunt on last summer's trip. I am sure it would have been a pleasure to have met you, and your friends Steve and Eileen sound like good people too.

Steve,

Dayton, Ohio

Archived