I want to book a cruise during hurricane saeason...or DO I?

rucruizin

when you've lived 2 weeks without clean water and electricity a few times, you want nothing to do with hurricanes on land!!!!!!!! :D

...been there and done that! I'm with you. I spent my entire life on the MS Gulf Coast with a family who would never leave. We stayed for Camille; they stayed for Katrina. I couldn't get in touch with any of them for 4 days. I was livid.

They'll never leave; I'll never stay. If not for my children, I'd probably have the same attitude as you: might as well be on a cruise and let it blow on by.

Hi my 1st cruise was in Sept 2004 on the Celebration we were lucky not to get caught up in One while were were in the port progresso they were boarding up the windows in the city kinda of scary.The only good thing is that we got to vist Vera Cruz which is not a normal port of Carnival so we may not ever had the chance to vist here. Do know that Carnival keeps there guest in mind if there is even a chance of bad weather they make alternate arrangements to keep you safe if you do go in OCTOBER just keep in mind that Carnival will not put you in harms way! GO and have a great time.

200605200000_14.gif

*********************************************all_inclusive_resorts/]Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts[/url]

I'm just wondering how it works if say...you're on a cruise ship and the port has a hurricane heading to it. You are scheduled to be in on Sunday and your flight leaves that afternoon. The port is closed...what happens to your flight? Do they automatically re-book you for the next day...is this a huge hassle or do they accomodate you?

This happened to us last year - the Mississippi River was closed, so we were a day delayed returning to New Orleans. The airline rebooked us with no problems and no extra charge - the airport was closed as well due to the weather, so even if the ship was able to return we wouldn't have been going anyplace anyway!

I bet we were following you luving2cruise. We were on the Holiday. Now I truthfully say I was scared to death during this "adventure" Until a couple of years ago never thought a thing about hurricanes couldn't even tell you when the season was but can now. I was so sick that week and I was sure I was going to die when they told us we were "stuck" on the ship for atleast another day. OMG it was awful, my husband laughed at me but again he is a Navy man so he was use to this crap I wasn't around for his bout with the navy so didnt' know what to expect.

Won't say I will never book during hurricane season because both of our cruises were during the season come to find out but the first one the only storm that hit was at home in Indiana with employee's not getting alone.

I will say I will take more precaution medication then draminine which made me sleep and well you can guess the rest. I thought the big fish bowl in the bathroom was from the motion until I had to take draminine after getting home because the motion would not go away and had the same effect.

It has now been 2 years and I am ocean sick and ready to hit it again and try to become home sick while out there

:D Friendly reminder:

If you do get stuck in a hurricane don't come back here and expect everyone to listen without cutting you down because they get mean. :eek:

There are a few people to this day I cringe when I see a post from them because you know they have the I am better then you attitude and they make you feel as if you are barging in on their territory with your opinion.

WARNING:

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY PLEASE DO NOT HAVE A HEART ATTACK TRYING TO TYPE FASTER THEN YOUR HANDS WILL ALLOW TO RIDICULE THIS MESSAGE

Yep, SHE is from New Mexico and has never seen (other than on TV) a hurricane, tornado, etc...

If I lived in any of the states potentially affected by a hurricane, no way would I risk leaving my home, my pets, my family, my friends behind and going on a cruise at that time of year. I would want to be around to protect my property and help those around me.

I live in Houston and we couldn't go anywhere for eight months of the year if we were afraid a hurricane would hit while we're gone. We would just tell local family members to go over and tape up, turn off the electric and grab the kitty if it looked like something was going to hit while we're away. Of course we'd be worried about what's happening at home but we'd probably be better off at sea than sitting in a 36 hour traffic jam trying to make the five hour trip to Dallas (thanks, Hurricane Rita). You can't live your life in fear- just keep your insurance up-to-date and always have your gas tank full.

Don't forget.....the ships are full all year round, including June 1 thru Dec 1, hurricane season. :eek:

You won't be alone out there. ;) We are from Calif, earthquake country, and Florida is only 4 years old to us....What's a hurricane?? We found out real quick the last 2 years. Totally scary, but so is driving on the turnpike:D

Insurance: try insuremytrip, you can do side by side comparing. This is the first cruise I purchased insurance for, only about $100. for the both of us. It does not cover hurricane related events. I figure I can afford a quick flight home, or hotel for a night or two. I bought it for major emergency medical & some peace of mind. But more comprehensive plans were available.

I have convinced myself that there is nothing I can do about the weather, or what ever happens in the future....so I am going to enjoy myself.:D

We booked in July last year and were chasing and being chased by hurricanes the whole trip. Emily was ahead of us and Franklin behind us. Hurricane season is starting earlier all the time.

DH & I were booked on the Imagination for a 5 day cruise last October to Jamaica & Grand Cayman along with 8 other couples for a mini 10 year college reunion (they were from all over the country). We were unlucky enough to have Hurricane Wilma hit Miami the day we were supposed to sail. I've never been under so much stress the week before a vacation (I guess because we were going on a vacation without our children & we were excited to see people we hadn't seen in a while.) I booked my flights separate from the cruise so we changed them to go down to FL the day before and stay in the hotel for the hurricane figuring we would get delayed 1 day. Needless to say, only 3 couples made it down to FL and the cruise port didn't open until 2 days later turning our trip into a 3 day cruise to the bahamas. We wound up staying in a hotel with no power for those 2 days but luckily we packed lots of snacks and flashlights since the restaurant wasn't open and the snack machines were empty. Carnival refunded 20% of our money since we made it to the cruise and our travel insurance picked up our expenses during the delay. Our friends who didn't make it to the cruise at all were fully refunded. American airlines also waved the flight change fee when we changed our flights to go down the day before.

Prices are great that time of year so if you are on a tight budget, it may be worth it if you can handle the stress. (keep in mind that this was an unusual hurricane season too). It can also work to your advantage because the people on the cruise the week before ours had to remain out at sea so it extended their vacation. Also, since there were so many cancellations on our cruise they offered the people on the ship the week before that they can stay on for our cruise for $100pp.

Bottom line, whatever you choose...get travel insurance!

Quick story...

September 19, 2005 cruise planned on the Sensation. Katrina fixed that for us!!

Rebooking...

September 19, 2005 Celebration, hurricane Rita is headed for the keys. (Our ports? Key West and Nassau) Changed ports to Freeport and Nassau. We had18' waves that killed most peoples stomach! It filled my Fiance and step-father's stomach!! He (Step-father) sweares he will never go on another criuse but he is a big wimp. HAHAAHA[/size]

Final Statment...

Carnival will take good care of you and you should not have a problem, but if you do. Let it be like water on a ducks back!

Our last cruise, Sept 03, we were scheduled to do Eastern Carib. Due to hurricane threat, itinerary was switched to Western Carib. Unfortunately, we had done the Western the year before. In spite of that, we made the best of the situation and still had a great time.

This year, we're booked to do the Western in Sept. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a hurricane threat that gets us re-routed to the Eastern this time :D

We were booked on Carnival Miracle last year in July. Hurricane Emily had other ideas about our itinerary and quite frankly, I found Carnival's attempt at providing compensation insulting. We ended up skipping Belize and Costa Maya and did Ocho Rios, Jamaica instead. When we got to Cozumel, it was trashed by the Hurricane -- no power to half of the island and lots of cleaning up going on. I have to say though -- depsite all this -- we had fun!! It's a cruise after all :)

I LOVE to cruise during hurricane season. The rates are better and there's always the hope that you will have to go around bad weather...get stuck somewhere (aaawww) and get an extra day or two!...and then like people said, the 50% offs are GREAT! I got 4 cruises for 50% off EACH in October and November of the same year....it was GREAT I TELL YA!:D

IF you've been through 3, you're as seasoned as anyone needs to be. Sometimes too much seasoning makes a person lost all common sense when it comes to hurricanes: just leave!

If you've been through ONE hurricane you're as seasoned as anyone needs to be LOL!

You realize real quick you can't save your stuff if mother nature wants it but you can save youself by leaving.

[quote name='BlueHerons']If you've been through ONE hurricane you're as seasoned as anyone needs to be LOL!

You realize real quick you can't save your stuff if mother nature wants it but you can save youself by leaving.[/quote]

Amen to that!

Archived