Self-Disembarkation

we did the self disembark once... was awful. you should have plenty of time to eat breakfast. there is alot of hurry up and wait, at least that was our experience. i much prefer to have the carinival fairies take my luggage down while i have one last drink of the day! :)

Breakfast starts being served on the lido at 7am. Leave your stuff in the cabin til you are done. The lido deck is very crowded on the last morning.

Elevators are slow moving. TAking ALL your luggage to the lido buffet then hauling it down all those steps to get off may be a pain in the butt.

If everything runs smoothly, you won't have THAT much time. If they call for self assist at 7:00 or 7:30, you will have one hour to leave the ship, that accounts for the lines, and everything. So you will pretty much need to be ready to go when they call. But you can take your luggage to the lido and eat, just listen to be called.

We did the self debark thing on the Imagination last month. It was hurry up and wait...for almost 2 hours!!! Something about customs....We got the call at 6:45 and didn't start debarking until 8:30 but once we got started it was VERY fast. We were at the airport shortly before 9:45 and our plane left at 12:20....so plenty of time to eat before our fllight. I might suggest if you want to eat before leaving the ship..try room service..thats what we did....actually had room service every morning as a wake up call...complete with coffee and danish!!!! Then, on sea days, we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast later in the restaurant.

When we sailed the Glory a year ago April, there were lots of people waiting by the elevators for self-disembark. We were out of our room by 7 or so and then had a nice leisurely breakfast on the lido deck. We toured the ship one final time and then went back to our room and enjoyed the balcony. The room steward never asked that we leave! In any event, those self-disembark folks waited at least 90 minutes before they could get off the ship. To me, not a fun way to end your cruise. I think that it all depends how quickly customs releases the ship. That day, the Glory was late and our deck (upper) didn't even get called until 9:30 or so.

We did self-assist on the Liberty, we were off the ship by 8:00. We had breakfast on the lido by 7:30 and left our luggage in the room. Went very smoothly, would recommend if you can carry your own luggage.

Thnks everyone. Cruising this July with mom and need to get off early and get on the road and we were considering the self assist. I had never done it before, but because of the time constraint, I was considering it.

After reading all these posts, I think we will just do the regular disembark and enjoy our last morning on the ship...

Thnks again, as I believe this decision has probably prevented us leaving with a bad memory.

Archived