Suggestions for Rome airport to Cittavechia

My mom and I are on the Princess Grand leaving Rome on 9/1.

I am already taking off 2 1/2 weeks from work and any extra days is not a possibility. (I had to get special permission to take off this time!)

So we get into Rome at 8:15 AM and our ship leaves at 6:00PM. I know the port is quite a distance from Rome.

My TA (also my brother) got a quote for a private tour including drop off at the ship (the itinery was amazing) but the cost was over $700.00

Any suggestions as to how I can see a little of Rome and get to the ship without having to spend this much?

Thanks, in advance for any advice

My mom and I are on the Princess Grand leaving Rome on 9/1.

I am already taking off 2 1/2 weeks from work and any extra days is not a possibility. (I had to get special permission to take off this time!)

So we get into Rome at 8:15 AM and our ship leaves at 6:00PM. I know the port is quite a distance from Rome.

My TA (also my brother) got a quote for a private tour including drop off at the ship (the itinery was amazing) but the cost was over $700.00

Any suggestions as to how I can see a little of Rome and get to the ship without having to spend this much?

Thanks, in advance for any advice

I am sure someone will have a good suggestion,but here are some facts..an all day tour starting in Rome would run about 400 Euro,but you are starting from FCO which would cost about 45 Euro to go into Rome,then you have to get to the port which will run about 115 Euro so 700 Euro does sound a little high,but noty out of line if you have a great itinery.Here is a linkyou can check out to see what they offer..

Limousine service Rome, Limousines Roma

LILynn-

we did a Windstar cruise from Citevicchia (I'm sure I'm misspelling that) a few years ago.

First off- not bragging, but just sharing that we are well traveled. I've worked for a legacy airline for the last 28 years and have been fortunate enough to visit many countries in Europe, South America and Asia.

Yet Rome was the one place that I was truly "ripped off." From doing my research I had an idea what a cab would be from the Rome airport to the hotel we were at but it came to much more (almost double) than I expected. I wanted to debate it with the cab driver but my husband was VERY tired (having gone from the west coast to the east coast to Frankfurt, Germany to Rome...no overnights involved) and I think we were just too tired to really argue. Then- we realized later-- that the cab driver (who was sooo friendly and nice, smiling, etc) had shorted us on change. We had gotten 200 Euros when we got into the Rome airport- after the cab ride- we had 40 left! Apparently the driver 1- turned on the "night" meter (much more expensive) and 2- took advantage of our very tired and somewhat mumbled brains and inexperience with Euro's at that point. We are well traveled but in our 50's/60's-- things are different at this age.

In discussions with our Rome hotel front manager (not a fancy hotel by the way- but very nice local Italian hotel) he said that we could have gone in to the hotel front desk and asked them to talk to the cab driver since we didn't agree with the amount. We certainly didn't know that -- can you imagine asking a Marriott front desk clerk in the U.S. to debate a cab fare? When we told the hotel manager what we paid he explained that the driver had most likely turned on the night meter - apparently not an uncommon practice in Rome for American tourists. He (hotel manager) was upset to hear we had paid that and not questioned it or asked them for assistance.

We had planned on taking the train to Citevvichia (again, forgive my spelling) but after that experience paid $100 E to go from the hotel to the port in the hotels private van. What we didn't know is that the hotel would have picked us up at the airport--for a price of course-- but far less than what we paid. (both financially and mentally- not a good way to start a trip, knowing you've been taken advantage of).

My advice- stay away from Rome cab drivers, and even if it's expensive go with a private van/limo service. Sometimes safety and comfrort are priceless! Also- I don't know how old your Mom is (could be my age :) but also think about resting up a bit before the cruise- you really do need it and want to feel good at that first port. It's pretty tiring to go across half the world and then jump on a cruise ship-- but worth it! It may be something to think about skipping the "Rome sights" (which you could never do in a few hours anyway) and just going straight to the ship to rest up and be ready for the rest of the trip. To spend $700 to see sights you may snooze through....as they say- Rome will be there! I would guess you could go from the airport to the port directly for quite a bit less $$. (or E's)

Have a great time. Enjoy traveling with your Mom- I did in the years she was with me, and I miss her still every day- especially this week-end. Give your Mom a hug for me!

I don't know how active/fit your mother is, but there is the public transport option. There are regular trains from FCO to Roma Termini station all day: cost is just over 10 Euros each, I believe. Then there's a left-luggage office at Termini station, so you can park your bags. Termini station isn't too far from some of the sights of Rome - the Spanish Steps, for instance. Then after having a wander around and some lunch, you can get a train from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia. That just leaves you having to get from Civ station to the ship, and perhaps a taxi would be best for that. So this option would get you to the ship for probably less than 100 euros, but with a fair amount of effort.

Apologies for suggesting this if it isn't suitable for your mother!

Post on your roll call and see if someone else is arriving about the same time and wants to share a tour. That would cut the cost per person in half.

Also check with your cruiseline and see what type of precruise transfer/shore excursions they offer. I know the ones that CCL is offering cost MUCH less than the price you were quoted.

First off- not bragging, but just sharing that we are well traveled. I've worked for a legacy airline for the last 28 years and have been fortunate enough to visit many countries in Europe, South America and Asia.

Yet Rome was the one place that I was truly "ripped off." From doing my research I had an idea what a cab would be from the Rome airport to the hotel we were at but it came to much more (almost double) than I expected. I wanted to debate it with the cab driver but my husband was VERY tired (having gone from the west coast to the east coast to Frankfurt, Germany to Rome...no overnights involved) and I think we were just too tired to really argue. Then- we realized later-- that the cab driver (who was sooo friendly and nice, smiling, etc) had shorted us on change. We had gotten 200 Euros when we got into the Rome airport- after the cab ride- we had 40 left! Apparently the driver 1- turned on the "night" meter (much more expensive) and 2- took advantage of our very tired and somewhat mumbled brains and inexperience with Euro's at that point. We are well traveled but in our 50's/60's-- things are different at this age.

I think this point is well taken. I frequently hear similar stories, and those Rome cab drivers are really good at being bad to tourists! :) We are also well traveled considering our ages (44 and 45), and we have had a lot of good advice from our Italian friends who live in Padua (outside Venice). And yet we were still ripped off by a taxi driver in Rome. A few years ago, that airport train into Termini station did not run late into the evening. We arrived at the airport at 10:00 p.m. on a flight from Ireland and were ripped off, but we didn't have another mode of transportation into Rome that late at night, so what are you going to do? The bootleg taxi drivers approach tourists arriving on flights and pretend to be official cabbies. They even wear uniforms with name tags, caps, etc. It's a big joke. Then they get people in their cabs with the luggage loaded and then advise you of a high fare that does not meet the guidelines. Also, for those staying in Rome, please note that the taxis often go on "strike," which simply means that the other cabbies charge more. It's a big game, and there's a lot of corruption in Rome, so many tourists get ripped off. Add to this the fact that there are not many metro stops--every time they dig to make a new one, they run into some new ruins that can't be destroyed--and the pickpockets are so good at ripping off the tourists on the buses, so it's just a nightmare to try to get around in Rome using anything other than shoe leather in my opinion.

Considering all that, I would definitely hire a private driver to pick me up to give a tour of Rome on the way to boarding the ship in Civitavecchia. Leaving the luggage at the train station to go off on your own is also a good idea in my opinion, but there are so many gypsies in Rome, so you have to be aware of what's going on around you. I don't sleep well on the planes during international flights and am subsequently really tired on the day of arrival (we then sleep 10-12 hours and are fine the next day), so I don't think I'd want to deal with all that and try to see Rome on my own following an international flight.

So that's some more food for thought, and I hope you have a great trip.

Donna

Thanks for all the advice. After reading everyone's opinions I think the best thing to do would just be to take the Princess transfer to the port. Not the least expensive method... but probably the easiest and after flying all night, easy is "priceless". And as one of the posters said Rome will always be there to go back to another day.

And holomuku, I know how fortunate I am to be traveling with my mom. Unfortunately DH cannot take the trip with me and spending this time with my mom will be wonderful. She is 75, runs 6 miles every day, and will outgo me anyday. I will give her an extra special hug in your moms honor when I see her (she lives in FL - I am in NY).

Thanks all again.

Taking the cruiseline transfer is your safest bet, and it will probably cost between 80 to 100 euro or so. I got to the front gate of the Civitavecchia port by public bus (I think it is called Cotral) from downtown Rome and it only cost about 3 and 1/2 euro.......gawd, what a deal ! I thought that anyway...... BUT....trying to walk to the ship from the entry of the port is quite a harrowing experience, even though I could see it about a mile away or so. And trying to locate the free shuttle bus to the pier might be difficult, depending on how friendly and helpful (or unfriendly and unhospitable as the case might be) the employees at the dock are that day. The port of Rome is an immense port stretching for miles and miles and most of the port encompasses a sea business that is not tourism. So, the dock employees are not always helpful or hospitable when it comes to tourists, especially American tourists. If you take the train, the taxi drivers are not always interested in picking you up and taking you the short distance to the pier (they might want to go after larger, longer fares)

Now, back to me getting off a public bus and at the port.....with all my luggage in hand, it took me about an hour and a half to finally get to the pier, dodging trucks and forklifts etc, and then having to wait for the particular shuttle bus that took me to the the particular pier where my ship was......so my advice is call your cruiseline and take the transfer shuttle that they will sell you, or take a taxi, AND MAKE CERTAIN that you are taken right to the entry of your ship at its pier.

Why not E-mail Stefano Constantini of RomeCabs at romecabs@yahoo.com or allagrande@hotmail.it ? He is highly recommended not only on this message board, but on Trip Advisor, Fodors forums, etc. He is meeting us at the airport & transferring us to our hotel. He is charging us 45 euros for a private van. Then he is picking us up at our Rome hotel & taking us to the port at Civitavecchia for 125 euros (for the 4 of us). Plus we are also hiring him for sightseeing at 35 euros an hour. He can also arrange a Roman guide at 50 euros an hour for part of your day trip, for example if you are dropped off at a museum. Here's his website:http://www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/index.html

I've read only wonderful reviews about him & he has been very prompt in replying to my E-mails.

Archived