Carnival bashing??? Why???

kstwo728

spongerob. Well said. It's amazing that some "experts" base their opinion as fact, even when they haven't sailed the particular line they are bashing. And strangely, base their "qualified opinions" on either very limited number of cruises or in many cases they have never cruised another line for a fair comparison. To have a valid opinion as to the quality of one line over any other, you need to have experienced both.

hdawson,

Like your coments about Carnival bashing. Saw you are in High Point. Just up the road here in Kernersville.

Dan and Miguel

Hey ala-kat AKA "bubbette" sorry I missed you. I was busy in the barn praticing spitting and cussing. :eek: :D . If I'm gonna be a bubba I have to practice ya know. Going to the dentist soon to have a couple teeth pulled out to improve the looks. Guess I need to figure out what to wear also. Not sure how to dress. Are there any magizines to help me.

Dan and Miguel, pleased excuse the silliness. My bubbette freind and I have been having a little fun. Since may posters are equating Carnival with low life we've been enoying the ride. Since you are on the "other" coast I assume you will be doing a cruise out of Fl. You will have a lot of choices. I'd invite you to come to Hawaii in Oct with us, but it's a long flight. We have a great little roll call going on. We'd love the company.

Your fellow state mate Hdawson is a wealth of great info. He helped me out with great info from Mx. Merida to be exact. He's a great guy.

TTYL

Nothing is wrong with Carnival. I just took Carnival in December and Princess 2 weeks ago. Carnival wins again for me. Bigger rooms, showers, sofa in room, (Princess uses the loudspeakers for announcements in the halls), more casual; a Wow effect especially in atrium; better food on Carnival.

My adult kids have a blast on Carnival. They were bored on Princess.

My husband and I were on the Liberty March 26th 2006 and we received several great compliments about Carnival. That was the same time that One of the Princess ships (or was it Royal?) caught on fire, the person we met at the time had not heard a word from the cruise line and were making alternate plans of vacation, and one cruiser we met in Mexico was on a cruiseline that had sheltered Katrina survivors & complained how the ship wasnt ready and was a mess and how large our ship was and how they wished now they had gone carnival.

My husband and I were on the Liberty March 26th 2006 and we received several great compliments about Carnival. That was the same time that One of the Princess ships (or was it Royal?) caught on fire, the person we met at the time had not heard a word from the cruise line and were making alternate plans of vacation, and one cruiser we met in Mexico was on a cruiseline that had sheltered Katrina survivors & complained how the ship wasnt ready and was a mess and how large our ship was and how they wished now they had gone carnival.

That would be the Star Princess and the other cruiseline in question that those people WERE complaing about was Carnival.

Bill

That would be the Star Princess and the other cruiseline in question that those people WERE complaing about was Carnival.

Bill

I can't recall the name now, but I was thinking there were some other "cruise ships" involved in the Katrina thing along with Carnival's Holiday, Sensation and Ecstacy. For some reason, an Alaskan ferry boat thing also comes to mind.

Sometimes people equate less expensive with inferrior.

Funny you said that. When the price is close for all things being "equal", I don't mind. But that poster who recently switched from RCCL to Carnival (Mariner to Valor?) and saved 2G's, I asked exactly what I would have gotten for that extra 2G's. They started responding with a generic "better", but none could really give an answer. Better what?

I've always wanted to try RCCL, but everytime it came to booking, I went with Carnival. But not besause I would save money to put up with something inferior. I'm happy they've always exceeded my expectations.

This year, I wanted Bermuda in the summer, and Carnival is not there. I will finally get my wish. And I will get to see what's better, all while being arm to arm with other cruisers who have tried the different lines.

And I am looking forward to it!

Trying Carnival in the fall for the first time...Carnival bashers? Many on the Celebrity board. (sorry guys, you know it is true). :cool: They are quoted as "a cut above" yet they have a captain taken off a ship this week for drinking. How very sad. After reading all the reviews from you folks on the Legend, I have no doubt we will have a great time. :p

A Carnival cruise is usually a great value. Still being in college, I look at price and itinerary more than anything else. I'm not committed to Carnival in the sense of, I'd try something else if they beat or were very close to Carnival's price, but I'm not going to spend an extra $200 to do the same trip with a different company. I've always been extremely happy with the Carnival product, and unless something happens to completely change that, I have no problem "settling" with large cabins, plenty of nightlife, and good/varied menu options.

I just got off the Legend yesterday. While in St Thomas the Caribean Princess was also there. I met up with some people from that ship who were also shopping and they said Carnival ships are party ships. I did not experience that and told them so. There were people from all ages from the 86 year old mother to the 22 year old mother (it was mother's day) on the ship.

We shared a Godfrey Tour with some people from the CP last year. Only thing I remember them saying was they were bored on their cruise, and had a small cabin.

When I looked at the ship, I found that hard to believe. Such a huge thing with small cabins.:eek:

We shared a Godfrey Tour with some people from the CP last year. Only thing I remember them saying was they were bored on their cruise, and had a small cabin.

When I looked at the ship, I found that hard to believe. Such a huge thing with small cabins.:eek:

We took the Carnival Miracle in December with a balcony cabin that had a sofa and the bathroom had a set of shelves on each side of the sink. The shower you could turn around in and could bend over in.

We took the Caribbean Princess April 29th also a balcony cabin but no sofa and the shower you could only stand in barely turning around and only had shelves on one side of the sink.

Other things we missed from the Carnival was the Atrium WOW factor and no access to billing or menus from TV on the Princess.

The Caribbean Princess is a huge ship but it holds over 3000 passengers but the theater only sits for both sittings enough for half the passengers to see the shows.

I really wanted to try another ship for comparison's sakes like RCI or NCI, but I keep looking and NCI pics don't look that great inside and RCI does not have ironing or laundry facilities and appears to require 3 dress codes. I hope you let us know how it went on the RCI.

Looks like I will be taking the Legend for our next trip since I can't find another line that has what we want.

• 1 month later...

I was nervous to try Carnival after I sailed on Celebrity Century for my first cruise (I fell in love with the Century). But, I wanted to try other lines, so we went on the Grand Princess. She was a beautiful ship, but too big and not so intimate (but we learned that we loved a balcony). Next, we went on Celibrity's Zenith and I found out it wasn't necessarily the Celebrity ships I loved, it was the Century. Zenith was too small, too old, and I sorely missed my balcony. Next, we're sailing on Carnival Destiny, which ironically, is an older, larger ship but it's been refurbished and we can afford a balcony and maybe a suite. And, it sails to the Southern Carib during the time we can go.

I've learned that I'm never going to limit myself to one cruise line, or for that matter, one ship.

I'll be 50 this year and I'm planning on taking at least one cruise every year until I sail into heaven! And, probably each one will be on a different ship. I would love to try every cruise line!!!! What a goal! And, what an adventure.

I may not reach my goal, but I'm going to have a glorious time trying!

Enjoy Carnival. I'm going to!

Karen in Kentucky

I think that plan is failing; they move here and still say southerners are stupid!

I love the "You're not from here, are you" comments that are accompanied by the "look" I get in Pennsylvania (I'm from Alabama). I say, "No, I'm from the south where the pace is slower, the people are nicer and the kids have manners and respect." After that, the "oh you must be stupid, then" look on their face is replaced by, "Well, I'm through talking at this point." Works every time.

As for topic, usless you are planning on taking each person who has commented on your honeymoon with you I'd suggest a "And this is what business of your's" comment right back. I agree with others here who have said that probably 80-90% of the people rendering opinions have never even sailed Carnival. The veteran of over 20 cruises, I took my DH who had never sailed before on the Fascination for our 1st anniversary and HE LOVED IT!! So much so that we are booked again in December to take our kids along. You are going to have a GREAT time!!! Congrats on the engagement!

Vanessa

:confused: Why do I always get such negative comments from people when I tell them we booked our HM on the Carnival Pride????

Carnival????? Why would you book with Carnival???? Why didn't you book with one of the *nicer* cruise lines?!

I've never been on Carnival (or any other cruise for that matter) so I dont have any answers to these not-so-friendly questions :mad:

WE had our HM on the PRIDE and it was INCREDIBLE! Would not have changed a thing. Most people who say those things are completely ignorant.

You can check out our Pride pics if you'd like. We have all the ports too.

:confused: Why do I always get such negative comments from people when I tell them we booked our HM on the Carnival Pride????

Carnival????? Why would you book with Carnival???? Why didn't you book with one of the *nicer* cruise lines?!

I've never been on Carnival (or any other cruise for that matter) so I dont have any answers to these not-so-friendly questions :mad:

My DH and I got those same comments many times before our first Carnival Cruise in Feb. of 2006 (which was the Pride). We have some friends that only cruise Cunard or Celebrity, they gave us an ear full many many times before our trip. I did not listen to a word of it. My DH and I had the best time aboard the Carnival Pride. We heard a lot about the ship before we arrived. Some good and some bad. We made our own judgements regarding the ship and did not let anyones thoughts cloud are judgement. We LOVED that ship! We LOVED Carnival! Have a great time on your honeymoon. I prefer to no listen to what others say, because not everyone has the same tastes in things. Make your own judgements. Have a great time.

:cool: in a nut shell.....some people just aren't happy unless they are bashing something.....sad but true :(

We just returned recently from Pride and it was our first time on Carnival after sailing on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity. When we first arrived after meeting the Cabin Steward, we had asked if, when he had a moment, if he can bring 2 additional glasses for brushing our teeth as there was only one glass in the bathroom and we have 3 passengers. He said that it would be easier if we just go up to the buffet and get our own glasses there. We said that "well we don't think it would be appropriate to bring those glasses back to the cabin". Then the Cabin Steward said he'll try and look for the 2 additional glasses. Later that evening after the beds were turned down, he had not brought the glasses. At that point, we went up to the buffet and took 2 of the plastic drinking tumblers and used them to brush our teeth. The other cruiselines automatically have our 3 glasses ready and waiting for us knowing that there's 3 of us and would never dream of sending upstairs to get our own tumblers from the buffet.

Typically on the other cruiselines when one of us orders an appetizer and we all try it and say that it was really good, and if we ask to get another one, the waiters are more than happy to bring us one or even two more out. However, the wait staff on Pride, mind you it was our wait staff and not all of them, that just gave us a snippy remark saying that she was just very busy and we would have to wait if we wanted something out of the ordinary sequence of serving the meal. She did bring it but she wasn't too happy about it so I didn't feel comfortable in doing that again.

Not sure if it was just a bad week for the Pride staff on our sailing or it was just our bad luck to have poor service. We have sailed almost every year in the past few years so it wasn't like we haven't sailed in a long time and the service has deteriorated over the years.

I personally would choose Princess for a honeymoon. Nice crowd and pretty good service.

My first three cruises were on Carnival and I enjoyed them all. My next one will be on NCL, not because I thought my Carnival experience was bad but because they only have one ship that goes to Alaska and I have already sailed on the Spirit to Barbados. I like to always be on a different ship. NCls price was also cheaper. I was afraid to try another line at first because I really like Carnival, we will see after my trip in June.

Hi. Dh and I cruised ncl this May after cruising rcl last year 05. I will never make that mistake again. I want to book the legend for next May but my Dh is refusing to go Carnival!!!! I am so glad someone started this thread. I thought I was the only one embarrased to say I'm going on carnival. It's funny because when I mentioned I was going on ncl people responded in a "oh that sounds wonderful" kind of way. That was in my opinion the worst cruise I have been on. The food, entertainment and staff were horrible.

I must admit I've had my fair share of trepidation w/r to Carnival. I'm a newbie to cruising, having only been on one cruise before (Grand Princess, Western Caribbean). That cruise was not my choice - we were there for a wedding. It was a nice, not-crazy cruise.

We were docked beside one of the Carnival ships in Cozumel, and I was lounging on my balcony, checking it out. I was initially impressed with the look of the Carnival balconies and such, until I spotted a couple out on their balcony, doing the whole nudist thing. Exhibitionists to be sure, and while I'm not personally offended by such obvious and silly antics, it did start to cloud my opinion of Carnival on the whole. Then we heard that some guy came back to ship so drunk he fell off the ramp into the water, in between the dock and the ship. And yet another couple was having a fight on their balcony, where the gentleman in question used his female companion as a punching bag. That was all I needed to form a negative opinion. Forget Carnival.

But.... I decided to do some research - I came to the conclusion that badly behaved people are everywhere, not just on Carnival. So we`re now booked for a 12 day Med. cruise in September on the Liberty, thanks in part to other Cruise Critic members talking about their positive experiences. Life is what you make of it, so I`m bound and determined to have a fantastic time with hubby and friends. Cheers!

Archived