Key West diving for newcomer

slp1323

We will be in Key West this July on RCCL Rhapsody from 3pm-midnight. Has anyone booked diving through RCCL in Key West? Or is there a better place to book diving while there? It will be my daughter's first dive after certification. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks!:)

We will be in Key West this July on RCCL Rhapsody from 3pm-midnight. Has anyone booked diving through RCCL in Key West? Or is there a better place to book diving while there? It will be my daughter's first dive after certification. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks!:)

Hi,

We go to KW all the time, and my wife even let's me dive once in awhile. :) The problem you'll run into by arriving so late is most of the dive operators' afternoon dives start around 1:00pm and get back in between 4-5:00pm. Since I wouldn't recommend a night dive for your daughter due to her experience level, you may not have a choice but to book through the ship due to your 3:00pm arrival. I've had good experiences and not so good experiences through the ship but in either case you're still getting wet and most of the dive operations in KW are pretty good.

Hope this helped,

Randall

I agree with the previous poster. Late arrival means you will have to book thru the ship. However, your ship also stops in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I would suggest scuba diving in either of those ports will be much better than Key West with such a late arrival.

Booking with the ship often means you will be on a cattle boat with a lot of other divers and the dive master will not be able to give your daughter the close supervision she might need as a novice. I would recommend you book with a private operator in either Coz. or GC (or both) for your dives. Make sure you can get onto a dive with only 6-8 others on the boat and you will enjoy it much more.

Happy bubbles.

Thanks for the information...do either of you have any recommendations for dive shops in Cozumel or Grand Caymen to book with a private operator? We would feel much better if she had someone who would be patient and work with our daughter on her first dive.

You have some great pictures, John. I love the ones from Belize and Cozumel.:)Thanks again...Sharon

These are some of the dive operations that have all been highly recommended on the boards. I have only personnally expirenced diving with Allison. Following are some of the comments and recommendations that have been posted on the boards.

On Cozumel there are about 70 different dive operators, so you should have no problem finding a dive operator that will take you out for some excellent dives.

Some like www.bluextseadiving.com but Christi is popular so she will probably be full.

I dove with www.divewithallison.com would be another good choice. She uses what is called a six-pack boat which says she only takes 6 or 7 divers with her as the 8th. However, you have to be able to do a back roll off the boat in order to get in the water as there is no diving platform from which to take a giant step entry.

Also contact www.divewithmartin.com If you get 4 divers together, you can charter your own boat with them. You will definitely not be crowded.

www.eagleraydivers.com is popular with many cruise divers.

In Grand Cayman try www.neptunesdivers.com or www.neptunesdivers.com for a 2 tank boat dive. Shore diving is also a good option here. The 3 sites most often mentioned are http://abanksdivers.com.ky

www.edenrockdive.com , or www.divetech.com

Hope this helps. Happy bubbles

Hey, sea-jay, what you wrote reads like something I would have. Thanks, now I don't have to.

I will just make a few additional comments. BlueXTSea is great, but I don't think Christi is accepting cruise divers unless they have a group of 4 or more due to past problems with tendering. In addition to Alison, I'd also suggest http://www.scubatony.com or Raul at http://bottomtimedivers.net/

In GCM, I had a great time with Neptune's Divers, and would recommend them for a beginner. I'd also recommend a guided shore dive with Divetech just because I think the Turtle Farm site is probably a lot better than Eden Rock. A guided dive would likely be just you two and a guide, so you could stay fairly shallow as you would probably prefer.

Bruce - So you recognize yourself, huh?

I have to admit that I have created a word document on my computer and copied all the dive operation sites for each of the ports. Makes it easy when I visit one of the ports to contact someone for a dive trip.

Unfortunately, next week I will not be able to dive while I'm on my cruise to Nassau, Coco Cay, or Key West. DW wants me to tour with her this trip.:( Bummer.

Oh well, I know which side of the bed I sleep on.:D

Unfortunately, next week I will not be able to dive while I'm on my cruise to Nassau, Coco Cay, or Key West. DW wants me to tour with her this trip.:( Bummer.
Then for the next cruise you should get to dive every port, or better yet, a liveaboard dive trip.

Bruce - My next cruise, at least as currenly planned, is a 10 day to Panama, stopping in Costa Rica, Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Caymen and just inside the canal thru the first locks in Panama (forget the city). I plan to dive at least in Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Caymen on that cruise.

I plan to retire the end of the year but DW plans on working at least one more year so I may very well get in a weeks live aboard with my dive club during the summer. Can always hope.:D

Archived